Baby drinking very little and seem to be losing weight

paperger85

Hi Mummies,

My little girl is 4 months, 3 weeks old and on total breastmilk. Last time she was weighed 3 weeks ago she was 8.22kg. However, she seems to be losing weight. I've not weighed her yet but she has lost her chubbiness. She is also drinking very little. About 120 ~ 130 mls each time. If I calculate by the 150mls x weight, she is not even drinking enough. She is also not passing urine often enough. Her diaper used to be quite wet after about 3 hours but these days, her diaper is quite dry after 3 hours. Should I bring her to the PD?

diymummy

You should bring her to a doctor to check. Does she have a temperature? How long has she been having a bad appetite?

She could be feeling unwell.

She should be having at least 6 wet diapers a day.

Phoebii Cheng

Mayb you feel her gums and see if she is teething? and also check her tummy if she is feeling bloated? Can rub a bit of ru yi oil on her tummy to expel wind

Lastly, if not the above, then bring her go see doctor

allycat

I think the reduced urine is due to her reduced consumption of milk. Is she as active as before? If she's less active, appearing to be fatigue, less eye contact, please bring her to the doctor even if she is not having a fever.

diymummy

In my opinion, I feel you should get your baby weighed. Because now it's not for sure she is losing weight, just having a bad appetite. It is not usually normal for babies to lose weight and not healthy as well.

If her urine is little and clear, it should be ok. If the urine is little and yellowish, it is not ok.

If you have a digital weighing scale at home you can weigh her by carrying her, then weighing yourself and do a subtraction to get her current weight.

mummypooh

Hi mummies, my 4mths old boy also facing d same prob;drnking little milk. He always drnking 1/3 of d milk n refuse d remaining milk. Sometimes we even have to resort to making him sleep n make him drnk d milk when he's half asleep. Recently,he also start to teething,bitting his fingers n drooling a lot. Is he poor appetite cause by his teething ? And hw can I make him drnk more milk?
Thanks

cui_er

my 4.5mths girl also like that now. drinks abt 50ml or so only and can last her hours. and if compare to paperger's daughter, my gal is only 6.8kg! but other than don't want to drink milk, she's still very active and happy. Like this must see doctor? i don't know what can the doctor do also...

yna

Can understand how you feel. Try weighing her as suggested by diymummy or bring her to the doctor to clear all your doubts.

I also agree in weighing the baby, i heard of digital baby scale where u can measure how much baby's milk intake check with rental company in sg if they have it.:001_302: