Baby Name

apple_san

Hi All,

Is it true that when choosing a christian name for ur unborn baby, is a must to have a meaning for that name? Or is ok even without any meaning?

Recently I met a fren who told me that "Cannot be letting ur children to carry a name without any meaning for his/her whole live"

Because of her sentence, make me so stress and difficulty on choosing a name and normally unique name dont come with any meaning.

Feliz

Hi All,

Is it true that when choosing a christian name for your unborn baby, is a must to have a meaning for that name? Or is ok even without any meaning?

Recently I met a friend who told me that "Cannot be letting your children to carry a name without any meaning for his/her whole live"

Because of her sentence, make me so stress and difficulty on choosing a name and normally unique name dont come with any meaning.

Hi apple_san,

i've got the same question as u.. but i'm not christian neither is my hubby.. Actually i hav e name in mind but stil in doubts if its ok to use it for my baby..

I've combine my name & hubby name together.
Hubby name : Edmund
My name : Felicia
Baby name : Edlicia or Edlycia

I've checked the meaning for "ED" & "Licia", both hav meaning but dunno if its ok to use it.. :Dancing_confused:

diymummy

i think it's nice to have a meaning to the name... but some names have bad meanings... like jabez means pain... haha.

i have a cousin whose name is kaylie which doesn't have a meaning. she was searching high and low for a meaning but websites all gave different meanings or led her everywhere but don't have a clear meaning. so she felt a bit sad....

whereas i know a child whose name is calista which means "the most beautiful" in greek and when she found out the meaning, she beamed and looked really happy :)

i guess it all depends on you what you'd like to name your child. some people prefer the uniqueness than the meaning but some prefer otherwise.

as for superstitions, i've not heard anything before abt a name needing to have a meaning otherwise it's not good.

apple_san

I have puzzle out some name to make it unique but cant find out the meaning. And what happen if my children ask me the meaning in future when they grow up? My tougue will be stack.

diymummy

you can tell them you have the first name in the world because you are so special to daddy and mummy and there is no one else exactly like you.

sufeit0115

Hi apple_san,

i've got the same question as you.. but i'm not christian neither is my hubby.. Actually i hav e name in mind but stil in doubts if its ok to use it for my baby..

I've combine my name & hubby name together.
Hubby name : Edmund
My name : Felicia
Baby name : Edlicia or Edlycia

I've checked the meaning for "ED" & "Licia", both hav meaning but dont know if its ok to use it.. :Dancing_confused:
Wow indeed very unique name, i like it cos unique yet not difficult to pronounce:tlaugh:.

pinkwipes

I don't think it's a must to have meanings to every single name.
As long as it's a beautiful name, not difficult to pronounce, not bad meaning, it's good enough.
And most importantly, you and your hubby must love it.
And also proud to call out her/his name out in the public. :)

adelynn

IMO, i don't think it is necessary to pick names with meanings. Of course it would be good to use as reference but it is not a 'MUST'.

Our criteria in searching for our child's name was:
- Unique
- Easy to pronounce
- Not a name that other kids will tease of in future (For example i liked the named 'Skyler' but was concerned that others will tease her ' Sky - Lar!' in future)

In the end, we decided to 'make up our own name' by taking a combination of both my hubby's name and mine - Stevlynn :)
And it has meaning too, our own meaning that she is a creation of both of us and is treasured and love by both of us dearly (Or my hubby took the meaning of both syllable from the babies name book and that form the 2nd meaning for our girl's name)

apple_san

IMO, i dont't think it is necessary to pick names with meanings. Of course it would be good to use as reference but it is not a 'MUST'.

Our criteria in searching for our child's name was:
- Unique
- Easy to pronounce
- Not a name that other kids will tease of in future (For example i liked the named 'Skyler' but was concerned that others will tease her ' Sky - !' in future)

In the end, we decided to 'make up our own name' by taking a combination of both my hubby's name and mine - Stevlynn :)
And it has meaning too, our own meaning that she is a creation of both of us and is treasured and love by both of us dearly (Or my hubby took the meaning of both syllable from the babies name book and that form the 2nd meaning for our girl's name)
Hi Adelynn,

I saw this name "Skyler" at the web before but I tot is belong to Boy name?

adelynn

Hi Adelynn,

I saw this name "Skyler" at the web before but I thought is belong to Boy name?
Hi Apple_san

Skyler can be used either ways, but their meanings are quite similar.
There are several ways of spelling Skyler, we picked the more boyish one out of the lot :)

Feliz

Wow indeed very unique name, i like it cos unique yet not difficult to pronounce:tlaugh:.

Thanks sufeit0115, i like it alot but hubby still half half on the name cos he say no meaning.. :001_07:

ANyway i tot going having a middle name too.. exp: Edlycia _____ Tay
But cant think so any nice name that can blend in..
ANy idea?? :001_302:

mummies,
i tink we shld post baby names here to give preggy mummies ideas for their baby names..and also post ur baby names juz to see how unique is ur choice of names.

i start 1st..
Girl:
Elise, Anna, Eliza

Boy:
Adrian, ryan

some ideas hehe..i tink a simple name is the best

felz,
maybe u shld give a simple middle name since the 1st name is already so stylo
:tlaugh:

apple_san

mummies,
i tink we shld post baby names here to give preggy mummies ideas for their baby names..and also post your baby names just to see how unique is your choice of names.

i start 1st..
Girl:
Elise, Anna, Eliza

Boy:
Adrian, ryan

some ideas hehe..i tink a simple name is the best

felz,
maybe you shld give a simple middle name since the 1st name is already so stylo
:tlaugh:
Hi,

Do you think we should include the meaning as well?

jasobias

For me i carefully chose my kids names n esp the meanings.They now know wht their names mean n love it.All their first names mean the same thing n the middle name means something too..but this one is diff for all of them.

sufeit0115

Thanks sufeit0115, i like it alot but hubby still half half on the name cos he say no meaning.. :001_07:

ANyway i thought going having a middle name too.. exp: Edlycia _____ Tay
But cant think so any nice name that can blend in..
ANy idea?? :001_302:
I agreed with cool cotton that maybe a "simple" name will fit better, preferably with only 2 "sounds", e.g anna instead of selina, just my personal view though....hehe :001_302:. Maybe can choose a middle name with "meaning" so to make up for the first name.

Hubby and i have decided to use traditional ethnic name for our boy's first name while we will use an english middle name, so far we haven't confirm the name yet. But we both like the name "Kaeden", meaning companion or friends. It has many spelling like Kayden or Caden but we like "Kaeden" the best!

It is not easy to choose cos i have to match the sounds of the first and last name, so that the name will sound "smooth" when people call up his name.

Feliz

I agreed with cool cotton that maybe a "simple" name will fit better, preferably with only 2 "sounds", e.g anna instead of selina, just my personal view though....hehe :001_302:. Maybe can choose a middle name with "meaning" so to make up for the first name.

Hubby and i have decided to use traditional ethnic name for our boy's first name while we will use an english middle name, so far we have not't confirm the name yet. But we both like the name "Kaeden", meaning companion or friends. It has many spelling like Kayden or Caden but we like "Kaeden" the best!

It is not easy to choose cos i have to match the sounds of the first and last name, so that the name will sound "smooth" when people call up his name.

Kaeden is a nice name.. actually i like kayle (for girl) but find it abit boyish.. :001_302: Edlycia kayle tay? ehheheeh...

sufeit0115

Kaeden is a nice name.. actually i like kayle (for girl) but find it abit boyish.. :001_302: Edlycia kayle tay? ehheheeh...
hmm to me Kayle don't sound boyish, actually Kayle matched the surname "Tay" well....hehe...we still have time to research and decide our baby's names. :001_302:

Feliz

hmm to me Kayle dont't sound boyish, actually Kayle matched the surname "Tay" well....hehe...we still have time to research and decide our baby's names. :001_302:
I've been thinkin of baby name since the day i knw i was pregnant.. hehee.. Initially i wanted to name her "Fergie" cos of some reason when i was dating with my hubby back then, but alot pple comment that its nt adviseable as others might pronounce her name as "Fer gi" or worse still "froggy".. Heheh.. So now cracking my head since i've got nothin to do at home.. :001_302:

How abt u sufeit0115? came out wit any nice name yet?

adelynn

oh ya all mummies/mummies to be

want to check with you if any of you know where or whom can i go to to 'count' the chinese name after the child is born?
any recommendations?