Baby refuse to drink plain water!

Carol

More or less have to force them to drink bit by bit . If not they'll get sick easily . And problems like urinary tract infection .

Dudette

about ribena... it is actually not good to introduce anything with sugar to your baby. Sugar will cause the baby to be hyperactive.

vodkager

i agree w some mummies here.. try using other ways to intro him plain water.. like drinking from water bottle? or cups? use syringe? something lidat..

Ting

about ribena... it is actually not good to introduce anything with sugar to your baby. Sugar will cause the baby to be hyperactive.

really!!!! no wunder my girl nowadays so active...must be the yoghurt im giving her..hmmmmzzzz.....:nah:

lisa_ng

my baby refuse to drink plain water also. i mix a little gripe water with plain water then she will drink. thinking of fruit juice for her soon. anyone let baby drink gripe water? is it good for baby?

Mum2Matty

Share my experience

My boy does not drink much plain water when he was less than 6 mths old. Probably a sip or two only.

When I introduce semi-solids, I spoonfeed water inbtw feeding cereals.

When he was 9mths old, he drink plain water from sippy cups with soft sprout. And I still spoonfeed or cup feed with plain water inbtw feeding his food.

I only use his normal bottle for milk, it helps him to distinguish bottle is for milk, sippy cup is for water.

Now he's 12 months old, he has no problem drinking plain water.

I also train him (start slowly) to drink a sip of water after his milk. And also if he wakes up in the middle of the nite, I do not make milk for him, just give him water to drink and he'll fall back to sleep very quickly. This has give me my much needed sleep as he nows sleep thru from 8pm to 6.45am.

I will discourage giving ribena or sweeten drinks for baby as it does nothing good, only encourage sweet tooth.

Try not to give anything sweet before they retire to bed at nite as the sugar content does makes a child more active but not necessarily hyperactive.

Mum2Matty

really!!!! no wunder my girl nowadays so active...must be the yoghurt im giving her..hmmmmzzzz.....:nah:
Ting, I do not think the yogurt is making her active la.. but do feed her abit of water after feeding her sweet stuff or food.

CynCyn

my baby refuse to drink plain water also. i mix a little gripe water with plain water then she will drink. thinking of fruit juice for her soon. anyone let baby drink gripe water? is it good for baby?
Sometimes I let my DS drink gripe water . The purpose of gripe water is to let out stomach wind . Alot of ppl recommended gripe water so I think is ok for baby .

Last edited:

CynCyn

When confinement lady was here , she fed DS water everyday . After she left , I always forget to give water . Until DS doesn't like it .
I always press the teat if DS doesn't want to suck frm the bottle . The water will shoot out into his mouth and he tends to play with water by gargling . Let him have the taste of water then he wanna suck from the bottle alrdy . Initial stage , when he didn't wanna drink water . I spoon feed him .

Carol

Ds is one wierd baby. But in a way, gd la :001_302:
He prefers plain water rather than water mixed with gripe water or glucolin.

Junior

U may want to trt giving warm water.
My dd#1 also did not take plain water and dd#2 also not into it.

I give them warm water. They take it better.

Also, i tried milk teat, avent sippy cup and then straw. They take to the straw better.

My dd#2 now ard 7.5 months. Drinking bit by bit thru the straw but must be warm water. So when we are out and abt, a bit more difficult.

HTH
At which stage did you intro straw to your kids? I tried but my LO doesnt seems to know what to do with it. He just bite on it. I now give him water with a spout.

He doesnt drink much water initially however, once i reduce the water quantity in the porridge and he starts to drink more water to down the porridge.

Mrs Xie

First 2mths, mixing plain water with grip water, my dd drink.... after that only intro her plain water.... but must be real warm temperature. Her milktime interval is 3 hrs, so every 1 and half hr drink water, then 1 and half hr drink milk.

ireneliau

My daughter 15month also drink like to drink plain water.. so i add grip water in it.. So every day she will drink atleast 8oz to 10oz of water per day..
Better then she don drink at all then contipation.. then worst.. So whether is plain or flavour drink.. The mian concern is they did drink.. Gripe water is good, baby stomach will feel better..

I think u have to start feeding ur kids with plain water aft they're born.

for my son, I did not feed him plain water often, so aft sometime.
he doesn't like to drink plain water. even til now..
unless he is very thirsty, he seldom drink plain water.

as for my DD, she loves to drink plain water.
she can drink ard 50ml at one go.
have been feeding her with plain water whenever she feel cranky.

junkee

one of the aunties teaches me this. i tried and it works.

before feeding, feed your dd/ds some water first. as they are hungry they will drink. slowly they will get use to water.

myangela

I thought newborns are not supposed to drink plain water?
Not true both my dd at newborns i fed them warm water not alot lah!
Every after BM/FM i gave them warm water to drink like to wash away the taste in their mouth they'll feel better like rinsing their mouth after every meal. Till now they r doing this n drink about 200-250ml every day.

:Dancing_wub:

redapple

My baby is also on total breastfeeding. Have not introduced him any water till my mum reminded me to get baby accustomed to drinking water when he was about 6 months. Initially feed water using milk bottle and he also refuse to drink. I tried introducing water through sippy/ straw mugs and it works! He is now coming to 10 months and happily drinking water through his straw cup. :001_302: