Baby sleeping through the nite?

Starbat11

Dear all, I was v hapie when Baby started to sleep thro the night this week. But, I still wake up to check that he is fine. Worried since this is the 4th day.

I realised that bb sucks his fingers and I can actually hear the loud sucking sounds. I tried to remove the fingers from his mouth but he will put it back again later. I knw that my bb sucks his fingers only when he is hungry so I m v concerned. For the past 3 nights, I let him be cos I was too hapie to be able to sleep thro the nite as well. But guilt is bugging me now.
Btw, my bb doesnt like a pacifier.

Should I wake him to feed or let him contd to sleep?

Can I have some advise pls?

Ting

imo, u dun hv to wake him up for milk.
sucking his fingers when slping, might not mean he is hungry, might be just comfort sucking..
if he is really hungry n wants milk, he will wake up n cry for milk. its a baby instinct to do that.
dun hv to feel guilty abt it! in fact, u shld really feel happy n relieved that he is able to slp thru the night so fast!
let him slp thru the night, if u wake him up for milk, it might disrupt his slp n he might cont to wake for milk every night! im sure thats not what u want.

Phoebii Cheng

Yes I agree with Ting, if he is sleeping thru the night let him be......cos' during growth spurts....he will definitely wake u up frequently for feeds.....

Dun feel guilty....take this time to rest well :tlaugh:

kathtan

You lucky girl:) How did you do it? My twins are still waking up in the night, at least 1 or twice a night. SOmetimes not that they are hungry but kanna disturb by the other twin. So both will wake. sigh. I look forward to the day or night that I can have 8 hr sleep, straight throughout.

Starbat11

imo, you dont have to wake him up for milk.
sucking his fingers when sleeping, might not mean he is hungry, might be just comfort sucking..
if he is really hungry n wants milk, he will wake up n cry for milk. its a baby instinct to do that.
dont have to feel guilty about it! in fact, you shld really feel happy n relieved that he is able to sleep thru the night so fast!
let him sleep thru the night, if you wake him up for milk, it might disrupt his sleep n he might cont to wake for milk every night! im sure thats not what you want.
The thing w my bb is that he drinks v little as compared to a 4.5mths old bb. He takes abt 100ml per feed, every 3 hrs interval. So, I m certain that he is hungry.

I tried to feed him ytd nite when I saw him sucking his thumb. He finished the entire bottle and was sucking v fast thro out the feed. However, he refused to sleep thereafter. In the end, I got v upset cos I am v tired. Yet, I have to "entertain" him for 2 hours before he gets to bed again.

Starbat11

You lucky girl:) How did you do it? My twins are still waking up in the night, at least 1 or twice a night. SOmetimes not that they are hungry but kanna disturb by the other twin. So both will wake. sigh. I look forward to the day or night that I can have 8 hr sleep, straight throughout.
How old is ur bb? My bb is 4.5 mths now. He only started to sleep thro this week. Honestly, I didnt do anything special. He just sleep thro. For the first nite, I thought that its an exception. When it happens the second nite, I was hoping the situation will contd. It did. Kiping fingers x.

But I read somewhere that its no gd to let bb under 6 months go w/o milk for more than 6 hours. So I am worried.

fioncess

How old is your baby? My baby is 4.5 mths now. He only started to sleep thro this week. Honestly, I didnt do anything special. He just sleep thro. For the first nite, I thought that its an exception. When it happens the second nite, I was hoping the situation will contd. It did. Kiping fingers x.

But I read somewhere that its no good to let baby under 6 months go w/o milk for more than 6 hours. So I am worried.
my baby till now haven slp thru....
but now learn to only wake up for 1 feed(she used to wake up 3 time)....
but i give her milk not cos she cry for it...
when she is hungry n slpy she will wriggle wriggle in her slp...
keep moving...
so i will make milk for her but not her usual intake..
for example normally she'll tale 120 -150ml..
so at nite i'll give her abt 90-120ml..
after drinking it'll make her 'drunk' then she'll slp quietly...
sometime nv slp but will play or tok to herself after abt 30mins then she'll slp...

kathtan

Hi Starbatt

My twins are 8 mths old(corrected age only 6mths). In any case, my big boy who is 8yrs old now, also didn't sleep through the night till he was 18 mths! I was really hoping the twins will be different.

Hi Ting
No space at home anymore:( My older boy sleeps with us, he on the floor since twins came. He gave up his room. So the twins sleep with the helpers in his room. Think they got telepathy. Even during day time, i put 1 in the living room and the other one in the room, both will still wake up the same time. I have yet to try to split them up in different houses though, maybe distance will do the trick??:001_302: Then it means i must be able to split too:tlaugh:

meiteoh

Every baby is different and you know your baby best - if you feel that your baby can do without the night feeds, then by all means, let him sleep. I'd seek the advice of a paed just to be sure.

In my case, I took a different route when Eva started to sleep through the night after her 6 week growth spurt. I woke her up for her dreams feeds. Reason being because she didn't react well to feeding after sleeping through and because of her eating habits. I consulted the LC and was told that babies below 6 mths are encouraged to have at least one night feed in order for the weight gain to be visible.

A lot of people were very surprised to find out that I was still keeping up the night feeds then even though she could sleep through but what they don't know is 1) Eva prefers to sleep more than eat and 2) she doesn't take in a lot of milk (maybe about 2 oz of so per feed and at every three hours) and 3) I cannot feed on demand because she LOVES to take long naps. I have experienced many instances whereby she will not wake up for milk during the day and will instead nap for over four hours.

Later on when I sought some reassurances from the LC because the issue was driving me up the wall, I was told that at her age (she was slightly under 3 mths then), she ought to be taking in at least 8 feeds in 24 hours - which she wasn't without the night feeds. Without them, she would only be doing at most 5 feeds - too low for a young baby.

I kept up the night feeds until last week when I was confident that she can do without them, react well to the following feed in the morning and that she'll continue to pack on the weight well.

So my advise is to go with your gut instinct. :)

As for the finger/thumb sucking, Eva does it as well when she wants to sleep or nap - it's a milestone (to be able to self-soothe). Besides, I'm sure he isn't sucking his thumb 24/7 so don't worry. :)

apollo

meiteoh, ds just oppo with Eva. he slp very lil but drinks alot.. how i wish he can slp more..

and i agree with u. we need to follow our mother instincts for every babies is diffe! :001_302:

joycemom

Hi,

i'm new here, my baby girl is 8wks, she cann't sleep thru the nite as will wake up every 2-3hrs crying for feeding.

Feeding her 100-110ml every 3hrs now, but she always fall sleep while feeding & wake up after stop feeding. So i start to give her pacifier to calm her down, otherwise i've to breastfeed her almost 1-1/2 plus than she'll let go totally ...

did any mum have advise how to deal wif it ?? Is she really hungry or just want to suck ..

diymummy

It is important for our babies to feed enough before they learn how to sleep through, that is true.

My PD gave me a formula to calculate the amount of milk to feed a baby when he's on an all-milk diet.

Lower limit = 150ml x weight (kg)
Upper limit = 200ml x weight (kg)

So if your baby is drinking between the lower limit and upper limit over a period of 24hrs, your baby has enough for the day and you can better decide if you want to allow your baby to sleep through or not and also better decide if your baby is waking at night to suckle for comfort or hunger.