Baby turned breech at 37wks! Dilemma now! :(((

fandton

Dear mummies, i just went for my checkup last wed and doc told me dat my baby went breech. Initially she was already heads down in the 32nd wk scan. Now she say can wait til next wk see if she turns can go natural labour, if not i got choice of trying external cephalic version (ECV) or straight to schedule a c-section. :(

Im very much in a dilemma cos this is my 2nd pregnancy (first was natural with epi) and I had hoped to try natural birth without epi dis time. But the thing that concerns me more is that my first daughter is just 18months and is very clingy to me cos im an sahm and she always wants me to carry her instead of daddy (esp during this pregnancy). And i know the recovery from c-sections are longer and more painful and most imptly i cant carry heavy load, i dunno how i will manage postpartum later if i were to have a c-sec. Plus i will be taking care of both babies myself since both parents n in laws all working and dear husband will only be at home with me for the first 2wks. And altho im staying with my in laws, i dont have anybody taking care of my confinement (my mum in law is my hubby's stepmom and she nvr gave birth before so she doesnt noe). Confinement nanny is out of the qn cos there's no space to house her and due to budget issues.

Im now trying my best to talk to baby and doing all kind of exercises that might encourage baby to turn, and I got one week only! I really really do not want to go thru a caesarian section, but Im trying to mentally prepare myself in case all else fails, and that is the last resort.

Any mummies with similar experiences or can share anything at all abt turning baby or ECV or C-sections recovery i will very much appreciate it!

justamom

I went thru c sect it's Nt that bad actually.. one wk aft op the scar already closed up.. maybe u ask ur hubby to tell ur daughter that u cannot carry her till later n ask ur hubby to carry her..
But I heard he gynae that till v last moment bb will still turn..so don't worry for nw..talk to bb..might work...

Rye

My gynae did ecv n my baby turned n stayed heads down. Its painless n before u know it shes heads down alrdy. :)

fandton

justamom:708354 said:
I went thru c sect it's Nt that bad actually.. one wk aft op the scar already closed up.. maybe u ask ur hubby to tell ur daughter that u cannot carry her till later n ask ur hubby to carry her..
But I heard he gynae that till v last moment bb will still turn..so don't worry for nw..talk to bb..might work...
Justamom, what about the pain after delivery, how long did it last? N for how long I cant carry heavy load/daughter? Cos i still have to bathe her everyday, change her and do certain things by myself. Plus my bed is a low platform bed, I dunno if it will affect my getting up from the bed and cause more pain. :(

fandton

Rye:708355 said:
My gynae did ecv n my baby turned n stayed heads down. Its painless n before u know it shes heads down alrdy. :)
Wow finally someone who experienced ECV. I dun mind the pain so much, altho i did hear it could be quite uncomfortable, but im afraid of the risk dat is to cause fetal distress in which case nd to go for emergency c-sec. Furthermore, the chances of baby turning is only 50%. But then on the other hand, if i dun try i will never noe right if it would work. :eek:

Was that for ur first pregnancy? And which gynae/hospital did u go to?

3Cmum

Yup, I'm trying these now. I tried these with previous preg which was breech too & actually it worked, baby turned head down but then just before delivery turned breech again! My Dr says this time once baby turns head down must walk a lot & do squats to get baby to engage (move further down in pelvis) so less chance of turning breech again. Good luck!

fandton

3Cmum:708536 said:
Yup, I'm trying these now. I tried these with previous preg which was breech too & actually it worked, baby turned head down but then just before delivery turned breech again! My Dr says this time once baby turns head down must walk a lot & do squats to get baby to engage (move further down in pelvis) so less chance of turning breech again. Good luck!
Wow really?? Haha rebellious baby eh? I already checked out the websites this morning, so excited to try some of them out. Which one was the most effective ones u find? And how long did u do them for? I onky got one wk left... :(

3Cmum

I kiasu tried all incl knee chest position, forward leaning inversion & breech tilt, plus earphones. This round haven't do breech tilt, think a bit early still, if next check still breech then start breech tilt. I heard breech tilt is most effective.

fandton

How do Docs do ECV? :)
From what I read, they will apply pressure and try and push baby's head and butt to turn from the outside... like massage, only i think with more pressure? I heard it can be quite uncomfortable though. And they will monitor baby's heartbeat and position with ultrasound and everything, just in case it causes fetal distress... Plus the success rate is about 50%, some factors like whether its ur first baby, the amniotic fluid level and position of baby (breech or transverse or oblique) will affect the outcome somehow. You can try googling about it for more information... External cephalic version (ECV)

Mreow Mreow

From what I read, they will apply pressure and try and push baby's head and butt to turn from the outside... like massage, only i think with more pressure? I heard it can be quite uncomfortable though. And they will monitor baby's heartbeat and position with ultrasound and everything, just in case it causes fetal distress... Plus the success rate is about 50%, some factors like whether its ur first baby, the amniotic fluid level and position of baby (breech or transverse or oblique) will affect the outcome somehow. You can try googling about it for more information... External cephalic version (ECV)

I see i see...

Thanks alot for the explanation....

So are u gonna give it a shot?? :)

bruti732

i also had the same experience. baby was breech at first arnd 32wks i think. after 2 weeks she turned. so i was relieved. but on the 37th week she was breech again. ob already advised i might go for c-sec if she remained breech but told me there's still space for baby to move since she is just the right size. so i walked as much as i can and crawled on my fours, lifted my leg. by 38.5weeks i had normal delivery baby is in correct position alreadt

fandton

Mreow Mreow:709726 said:
I see i see...

Thanks alot for the explanation....

So are u gonna give it a shot?? :)
After considering n weighing all de options, I thought I would give it a shot since its my 2nd pregnancy and still think c-sec is not really feasible in my case...

fandton

lovepixie:712778 said:
Hi Mummies,
when do docs start to do ECV? when admit to hospital?
I have no idea if there is a cut off point where doc will stop waiting and do the ECV but usually it will be anytime before u go into labour. For my case, baby turned breech at 37wks+, and she scheduled me another appt the following wk first to check again whether baby has turned anot. If not then they will give do ECV probably asap, during the same wk, before baby gets even bigger, and especially before labour begins.

fandton

Anyway, I just had my 38wks+ checkup few days ago, and miraculously baby has turned! After much talking (more like persuading) to baby, doing the exercises, walking and drinking lots of water, baby turned within the one wk period given. Now im at 39wk and still have not popped yet, am hoping and praying baby will stay dat way til i give birth. And also im trying to ask her to quickly come out before she decide to change her mind and turn again. :p

lovepixie

Hi Fandton,
thats good news.. wah u can still do exercise.. im at 36 weeks and cant move already.. back pain.. everything pain ...