Baby with one kidney

coffee

Hey babywonderful,

Same for me. The picture of my scan shows only one kidney too. During the scan, is your baby facing down or up? Mine is facing down.

Went for gynea appointment yesterday, still cannot see any kidney. Sad but told me bladder is normal. He said that there is a chance that the kidney might not be in the usual position like pelvic kidney. So, ask me not to think too much but wait till baby is born, and then do a scan.

But the wait is agonizing right?

From the website you provided, I saw that it might be cause by a chromosomal abnormality. Booo... Hope our baby won't have other problems, which can be much worse than having one kidney. I can't accept a Down Symptoms child. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

babywonderful

Hey Coffee,
Did you do the nuchal scan and blood test for Down syndrome at week 12? If the result was good, no chance for that syndrome. I have made friends with some mums who have babies with ONE kidney and none of their babies have any problems. So let's hope. I love my baby so much. It is my first baby so you know I am not as lucky as you guys. At least you and Julin already have ONE...hihixx..
Pray pray and pray..

coffee

Hey babywonderful,

Yep, I did the down syndrome test at week 12 but there is still a very very small percentage. I am now so paranoid that even that small percentage I am also scared. Actually the main reason why I am so scared is that just before I found out I was pregnant, I had fever non-stop for 2 weeks. Then when i found out I am 4 week pregnant, I had to take anti-biotic to stop the fever coz I developed sinus infection. Sob!!! Then now can't find baby kidney. I keep thinking back if it is the fever or the anti-biotic that causes it.

My first boy, didn't go for detailed scan, so doesn't know anything. Might be bringing him for a scan just in case even though he seems as healthy as a fiddle.

One baby, 2 baby, all is our precious. Just hope everything will be fine for all of us, just that kidney is hidden, a good working kidney hidden from sight. Pray pray pray...

When is your due date?

babywonderful

yeah. My problem may associate with medicine too. Right at week 3 of my pregnancy, I went to toilet and bleeded. My doctor said I had hermoroid and asked me to take proctosedyl for that. I trust the doctor so I used the medicine without much searching. Then now I read on the Internet and that medicine is not allowed for pregnancy and it can cause abnormality on baby's adrenal gland which sits on top of the kidney. So I think that's the reason why my baby may have only ONE kidney. So unlucky for us..

Julin

Hi,

My Gynac claimed that it is just abnormalities in growing..nothing to do with medicine or other external factors.
For myself, I am doing fine during the whole pregnancy..didn't take any medicine..

As what you say, pray hard that our babies' kidneys are playing hide n side with us.
Just have to keep our fingers cross and wait till their birth. Counting down now....

babywonderful

yeah. I think the reason is not important any more. Just keep going and praying that ONE kidney is the only problem our kids have to face in life.
Pray everyday.

coffee

Hey babywonderful,

I am doing okie. Currently plan to enjoy my remaining weeks of pregnancy coz don't know what to expect when baby is out. If she is a normal healthy baby, it is a real blessing. But I dread that day too. I am very very scare that the supposedly happiness day of any parents' life would be my worse day in my life. As long as our baby are still inside our womb, there are still hope. Once she is out, we have to face the inevitable. I don't think I am a good person, I never do any good deeds, and also not a good daughter, I believe it might be retribution but I wonder why it must be on my baby, why not just on me. Sigh!!!

Like you say, there are ups and there are downs. I try to keep myself happy by meeting friends and family, try to have as much fun as possible. eat what I like. Being happy is good for our baby. But sometimes, when the days are draggy, I start to think of what if...

Will be seeing my gynea again end of the mth. Crossing my fingers for some hope.

babywonderful

I understand how you feel. Let's join group Born With A Single Kidney (Renal Agenesis) on Facebook and you will meet a lot of people with this condition. You will feel better somehow. God bless our babies. When will you be due? I hope I can carry my baby full term as in case she only has one kidney.

coffee

I am due on 8th Dec. How about you?

Just join the group. :) Thanks for the link. Just hope our babies won't develop any kidney disease in their life-time and live long long life.

babywonderful

I am due around end of Dec.. I hope I can carry my baby full term. This group is very supportive. You see, we are not alone. A lot babies are born with only one kidney and they are fine. Let's hope our babies will be like that too. Anyway I always wish that our scan results are wrong and our babies have 2 kidneys as other babies. I sometimes feel like I am in a dream that I want to wake up and everything I am facing now goes away and my baby is healthy and happy. I sometimes blame if I did something wrong during the first 12 weeks like medicine or my bad morning sickness. I could not eat properly during my 16 weeks and lost weight. I wonder if that can harm the development of my baby..huhu..

coffee

Yes, I wish our scans are wrong and we don't have to join any support grp. Sob. I think ur chance is higher than mine as ur baby is lying face up. The right kidney may be covered by the liver. Mine is lying face down, the best position to see kidney as kidney is located at the back with liver in front. Sigh! Wish u all the luck. Mine is confirmed no Kidney at the normal position now can only pray it is located lower in the pelvic area and is normal with no problem. Read that pelvic kidney comes with a whole lot of problems which might need to remove the kidney which is worse than having one kidney.

Yes. I also keep thinking about my fever and my antibiotics which I had to take. I also read that at week 4, it is the time when all organs are forming including kidney and getting a fever taking medication at that time is so risky. Wish I can turn back the clock. I also have bad morning sickness and eat a lot of junk food coz that the only type of food I could eat. Sigh!!!

babywonderful

Hi Coffee,
I had the best doctor do the scan for me so I trust her a lot. She said she could not find any kidney in the right renal place and there is no blood artery to the right. So I think there is a very slight chance that the scan is wrong. Did your doctors see any blood artery? I read the research that using color Doppler to find the blood artery in kidneys is correct in 99% cases. At first, I hope there is another one in the pelvic area but a pelvic kidney may be dangerous too, esp for girls. So I just hope that everything fine with only ONE is still ok.
I had the medicine right at week 4 and bad morning sickness so I only ate instant noodles. I lost nearly 3 kgs. I read research that loosing weight can be related to kidney missing. I am very sad and wish I could turn back time as well. Love our daughters very much.

coffee

Hi babywondeful,

May i know who is ur doctor? The scan was done by a sonographer. Not sure if she did any blood doppler at the kidneys. She kept very quiet when she was scanning kidney and then later, refer me to a gynea and did another scan for me. The scan is just a normal scanning. Not sure if I should go for a 2nd scan or wait till baby is out. I guess I should just wait. At least, I have a little hope and living on this little hope for the next 16 weeks is very important for my sanity. I don't think I can take a 2nd breakdown. Sigh!!!

I doubt it is due to the food we eat or losing weight coz a lot of ladies also lose weight due to bad morning sickness. I still think it is coz we were sick and took medication at week4. Anyway, I didn't eat instant mee coz I feel like vomiting if I smell it. I used to eat a lot before pregnancy. But I ate lot of fish crackers, chips, hokkien mee, minced meat mee, all also not that good. Gain 6kg and of first trimester. So, we have nothing in common in terms of food and weight gain. Just medication.

Our poor baby... we are not greedy. Not as if we want 3 or 4 babies, just 2 for me and 1 for u. Now everytime I saw healthy little girls, I feel sad for mine.

Cheers
Kim

Julin

Hi Coffee and Babywonderful,

How have you all been? I had delivered my baby boy on 29 Oct..
I was advised induced labour because of my fluid level was super low..
My baby was in his 38weeks plus so it is consider full term..

Doctor advised is to make sure there is output and no urinary trart infection..
He is healthy and no problem.

But the doctor advised to scan him when he is one month to make sure everything is fine..

I wish you both all the best to you and your babies.
Take care..

babywonderful

But the doctor advised to scan him when he is one month to make sure everything is fine..

Take care..
Congratulations Julin!
I hope everything will be fine with your baby and everything.
Please keep us updated!

coffee

Take care..
Hey Julin,

So happy to hear that both of you are doing well. :)

I will be due in 6 weeks time. I am praying very hard, excited to meet my baby and yet, scare too coz not sure what will be in store for me.

Do update us about the scan result. I hope that all our ultrasound scans are not accurate and our babies are all normal and well.

Hope to hear good news from you .

Julin

How are you now? Delivered already?
My baby is 6weeks now and he is dong fine..
He had gone for his ultrasound scan few days ago and it is confirmed that he has only one kidney.
Thank God that it is working well..
Advice from doctor is to make sure he does not get urinary tract infection that will cause infection to kidney if it is untreated.
He can lead a normal life and does not need any special care but just need to go for regular ultrasound to make sure
that the only kidney is coping well.
His next scan will be in 6 month time.

I hope these updates can help to relieve the anxiety and worries that we had.

All the best to you both.
Take great care.

coffee

Hey Julin,

Been wanting to update but busy with breastfeeding, vistors and then baby has to be re-admit for jaudice treatment and then going for scan.
I have delivered my girl on 2 Dec and she is doing fine. And yes, she has only one kidney too which is larger than normal size. PD says no special treatment, just live normally and monitor her growth and of course, ensure no UTI. And most importantly, no contact sport coz cannot afford to have any injuries to the kidney which is larger and thus not fully protected by the ribs.

Yours is a boy. So maybe need to request for special entry to army to prevent him being assured to rough training program.

My girl is a very active baby, so hope she won't grow up to enjoy vigorous sports.

Let keep us all keep in touch as we all have a special precious baby. Can email me at Ls_Kim@yahoo.com or add me in FB. :)