bathing during confinement period

myusha

i didnt bathe for the first few days... as i too weak.. but on the 3rd or 4th day i take a quick shower with the chinese herb 'da feng cao' then the next day i wash my hair.. i told my mother that i have a friend who have infection as she was told not to shower during confinement period, plus i need to bf & cos of hygiene, i need to shower. And that not showering/washing of hair is only chinese traditional beliefs, as in the past, there are no water heater. As long as i shower with warm water, it should be okay...

Tannie

While I was in the hospital, the lady next to my bed in the ward already is showering at night. I had my shower daily plus wash hair with the herb after discharge. It all depend on how much u believe n how much u can tolerate... I couldnt tolerate not able to shower for a day!

rellako

Yes. I bath the second day at the hospital. But I off my aircon, closed the bathroom window and the water is really hot. I just rinse myself without washing hair that day. Subsequently, I use the Chinese herbs to bath and also bought a lemongrass confinement showergel. Also bought ginger cream to keep myself warm around the joint areas. I believe hygiene is v impt. I'm the main care giver of my baby. I cannot imagine not showering! Haha...

engravedx

Are we allowed to wash our hair with normal shampoo or can only use herb water? My concern is that my scalp will be itchy and hair will be very oily if I do not wash it within 24 hours.

yukim

Anyone know when can we start to count the confinement period? From after birth or discharge? I tend to bath after confinement

engravedx

I think after birth can start to count confinement days. Since it usually ends together with bb's full month. ^^ most people will have bb full month celebration. Imagine if u are still having confinement then! Cannot eat the foood and still got to serve guests without bathing (if u adhere to strict confinement rules). Soooo, i think just follow bb's full month will do. :)

Mummy73

I feel that it's v unhygienic not to shower in Singapore hot n humid weather! I shower on the second day, but make sure my body is wiped dry n hair blown dry.

Jollymum

I bathed on the 3rd day for both my kids. After that, it's once every 3 days which is my max endurance. I used warm water and blew dry my hair. I've oily scalp and my hair will get really itchy if I don't bathe. With breastfeeding the baby in this warm weather and eating all the 'heaty' confinement food, it was so hot, uncomfortable and unhygienic not to bathe. I wiped clean myself on other days and slept in air con room too.

I searched ard to find alternatives and found 'no-rinse' shampoo and soap on the Internet but alas, they are not sold here. But recently, I visited Thomson MC pharmacy and found them!! Shampoo and soap used by NASA astronauts! Cool huh? I was so thrilled I bought them to try! Pretty effective and easy to use! My conclusion is that causasian mums seem well without this confinement theory and some have cold winters to battle with.. In hot Singapore, I just do my best to keep myself clean and happy as there are more pertinent issues like latching on, milk sufficiency, baby's health to focus on.

Gif

I bathed on 7th day n then alternate 3rd day. Survived with baby wipes n warm water to wipe body, esp below, due to the blood discharge.

Dragontail

I'm doing full confinement, not due to labour, but D&C.

I told myself that I will not wash hair for 2 weeks. But by the 4th day, I couldnt take it anymore. I did try powder shampoo spray. Just dont like it. Although my mother in law said can wash hair with the herbal water (she brewed for me every 2 days), the herbal water is just too little for a good body wash. Forget about ration for the hair. On none herbal water day, I wiped myself down with warm water. I still wash my face and personal area with normal water, twice a day.

So on the 4th day, I secretly washed my hair with normal shower. And wash hair every 2 days. I'm now into the 6th day of my confinement.

What's most important is you do not end up yourself in chill after the wash. After hair wash, I will quickly blow dry my hair. After body bath, I keep myself in the bedroom to avoid chill. And drink DOM. This will warm up the body.

Although I do not have a baby to hold, I personally do think it's very unhygienic to not keep yourself clean while handling a baby.

Last edited:

StrdCloud

Hi mommys, I'm Dad doing confinement for my wife together with my Mom.

Well, I have done some research on this topic, and I believe that bathing is alright during confinement.
The common hearsay is that Wind will enter your body when you bathe or something like that.

I believe this is true if you are living in China, where most of the areas in China are actually quite cool.
Imagine you take a bath @ 15 deg C temperature. How would you feel even after you bathed? Cold right?

Why do I mention this?
This is because back in Taiwan, (where I come from), you can probably not bathe for 1 week during anytime of the year (except Summer) and you still will feel alright, because it is cool and you will not sweat very much.

It is very hot over here, and my wife also kept complaining about the heat, even though we stay in the air con room, and I told her to take a bath, and not listen to old mother tales. My mother also gave birth to me here, and she also started bathing 3 days after her C-section. She is 50 now and does not suffer any of the old wives tale of headaches, rheumatism, back pain etc..

However, try to bathe during the day as it is more windy during the night.
You might catch a cold if you have the fan or wind blowing @ you.

Hope it helps.

I bathed in the same afternoon that i delivered via emergency c-sect, dlelivered at 7.15am and managed to bathe before anybody visited. Hubby had to help me wheel the drip into the toilet! haha! Felt like very dirty like that after delivery plus i didn't manage to shower the evening before. After discharge, i showered and washed my hair everyday in the afternoon and just blow dry my hair. Didn't use the herbs cos i don't like the smell, if have to use then i rather don't bathe liao. Lol!

During confiement, i walk around in my spaghetti strap tops and shorts, no bed room slippers but so far no adverse efects. I think it's either old wives tales or as some people have posted, those beliefs are just not realistic in our kind of weather

Asphere

actually i believe is can bathe.. old folks said cannot bathe is actually due to olden time there is no heater. all are well water and those are cold and will affect the women in old ages. but modern time who still use well water to bathe?? so it is not an issue. esp in singapore is so hot. :)

I m doing my confinement now n I do shower every afternoon with herbal water.
But I wish to share my Mum's story, she suffered from very bad migraine only when she reached 50s n wrist pain. She didn't believe in the old folk tales but now she regretted so badly cos the pain is unbearable. She has to go for therapy to soak her hand in a herbal water for almost a month. Although she has recovered , she always reminds me that really dun ever try washing the clothes or hair.
So for now I jus clean my hair with the herbal water that I bathe. I just listen n do. :)

Celz

I believe the migraine n wrist pain might be due to something else rather than bathing n washing clothes during confinement period. If not, why the symptoms surfaced only till now?

MummyBeL

Old people said that only can take your shower with herbal on the 12days after you had delivery. Sometimes you gonna to listen and believe, rather next time got any side effect like headache or here pain there pain. I also bear for my oily hair and only can clean up with a basin pail water till 12days I finally washed myself with herbal. :)

lovepixie

Before confinement i've already search for dry shampoo that suits my scalp as my scalp is oily and tends to break out in flakes if i dont wash everyday... so far no such luck yet.. i'm not really afraid of no bathing or no washing face because i got Clarins one step cleanser where i can wipe my face with cotton wool... it is just that no washing hair = smelly and oily... later hubby dowan hug me how? hahaha