BB relying on my breast to slp

shiyi

Sometimes after drinking ebm/fm, bb will still look for my breast to make her fall aslp.. she dun like pacifier..
put her at my parents' hse to stay overnite in the end she couldn slp n made noises the entire nite!
how to make her not to relying on my breast?

cmeilim

Sometimes after drinking ebm/fm, baby will still look for my breast to make her fall aslp.. she dont like pacifier..
put her at my parents' house to stay overnite in the end she couldn sleep n made noises the entire nite!
how to make her not to relying on my breast?
maybe it's to do with the brand of pacifier? we use tommy tippee for our boy and he likes it. my hubby bought this brand cos it's closest to mummy's nipple and my boy is on total breastfeeding.

try not to let him get into the habit of comfort suckling at your breast as it takes a much longer time to break this habit once it is formed. i have a friend whose baby was still waking up 4-5x a nite to comfort-suckle when he was 9-10 months old. nightmarish for the poor mummy!

Phoebii Cheng

Yes she is now taking you for the pacifier, so in order to break this habit, you hv to make her a new habit, whether is it to buy a new pacifier or change the habit, tht means everytime she wants to sleep, just pop her a bottle of milk, it is difficult at first and you hv to endure her cries, but sooner or later she will form this new habit....just like my son tht time when he was younger

it is easier to form new habit when they r younger....

shiyi

yeah i gave her tommytippee pacifier with the cute bee design too..mum says must let her get used to eating pacifier instead of my nipple..incase im not ard.

Verona's

Erm , if my baby is not relying on my breast to sleep but always have a hard time making her sleep , should i introduce pacifier for her ? Will it be better for her to sleep ..

shiyi

Erm , if my baby is not relying on my breast to sleep but always have a hard time making her sleep , should i introduce pacifier for her ? Will it be better for her to sleep ..
den usually how do u make her go to slp? carry her?
not sure leh but my bb like pacifier.. so have to either carry her walk ard or let her lie on my stomach

woofy55

Shiyi - i pmed you intially - but later thought i might as well share it out.

i used to rock/bounce/carry/swaddle louis to sleep... and only to realised after getting him soooo hard to sleep, with both of us exhausted, he wake up within half hr... @#$%#... And as he's getting heavier - i find it's "wrong" to continue carrying him to sleep. Accidentally, I chance upon the book call "the baby whisperer" and gotta know abt the shush/pat and PU/P.D method and it's working great for hubby and me now. If you have not heard about it, you might want to try getting hold of the book. I got mine in Times.

Last edited:

cmeilim

i used to rock/bounce/carry/swaddle louis to sleep... and only to realised after getting him soooo hard to sleep, with both of us exhausted, he wake up within half hr... @#$%#... And as he's getting heavier - i find it's "wrong" to continue carrying him to sleep. Accidentally, I chance upon the book call "the baby whisperer" and gotta know about the shush/pat and PU/pediatrician method and it's working great for hubby and me now. If you have not heard about it, you might want to try getting hold of the book. I got mine in Times.

hi woofy55 mummy,

can u elaborate what is the shush/pat and PU/pediatrician method?

chiro

i have been nursing johanan to sleep.i went jb without him just before he turned one month, he did not cry .but on second night, when he was stayin with my parents, he suddenly sat on the bed and said 'nei' for milk. my hubby and i were relieved to know tat he did not look for me in middle of the night and told me hubby tat as son did not see me, he forgot to look for me (out off sight out of mind ) and decided to play overnight majong with frens after a long break for a year.johanan did not cry.we playe again on second week and my mum called me at 5am to ask me to bring him home, tat joker stopped crying and kept lookin at the door after i told him over phone tat we picking him up later.we had another majong session one week later and my mum called me to bring him back again, sigh!the best part is tat he was whining when i first talked to him over the phone. .his whining became more fierce and high pitched and more continous, its like he scolding me!think i must get the book too

i used to rock/bounce/carry/swaddle louis to sleep... and only to realised after getting him soooo hard to sleep, with both of us exhausted, he wake up within half hr... @#$%#... And as he's getting heavier - i find it's "wrong" to continue carrying him to sleep. Accidentally, I chance upon the book call "the baby whisperer" and gotta know about the shush/pat and PU/pediatrician method and it's working great for hubby and me now. If you have not heard about it, you might want to try getting hold of the book. I got mine in Times.

woofy55

i have been nursing johanan to sleep.i went jb without him just before he turned one month, he did not cry .but on second night, when he was stayin with my parents, he suddenly sat on the bed and said 'nei' for milk. my hubby and i were relieved to know that he did not look for me in middle of the night and told me hubby that as son did not see me, he forgot to look for me (out off sight out of mind ) and decided to play overnight majong with friends after a long break for a year.johanan did not cry.we playe again on second week and my mum called me at 5am to ask me to bring him home, that joker stopped crying and kept lookin at the door after i told him over phone that we picking him up later.we had another majong session one week later and my mum called me to bring him back again, sigh!the best part is that he was whining when i first talked to him over the phone. .his whining became more fierce and high pitched and more continous, its like he scolding me!think i must get the book too
i believe u mean before he turned 1year old?? I hope this book help u too - browse thru the section on "sleeping" before u buy... hehe.. i am not quite sure if it works for older babies too. Maybe the PU/P.D method will work.

jojoki

I have been bfeeding for one year now. My bb still wants to suck to sleep ALL the time. Only once in a blue moon she wil fall asleep (while been carried by daddy) without havin to nurse, otherwise she will be screaming to be nursed.

Thank goodness now she only naps once a day!

I co sleep with her n she will wake up at least 3x to suck. Ive never had a good night sleep!! I give her up to 2 years old!

woofy55

hi woofy55 mummy,

can you elaborate what is the shush/pat and PU/pediatrician method?

shush/pat is combination of "shhhhhh-ing" and patting your baby's back to sleep. It was said that baby cannot concentrate on too many things at one go. So he can't cry and listen to the shhhhhh... and patting and the patting sound all at the same time. For Louis, it works and he will stop crying.. and the rythemic shhhhh-ing and patting sound will somehow make him drowsy. But mummies, rmber - everything need perserverance.. i also went thru a big fight with him before it works on him eventually. But i find it's much better than to carry him all around the house... it's too exhausting. With this method, i'll just have to put aside 15-20mins to make sure he's "down" - but usually he's down earlier. I just stay by to make sure he dont't suddenly wakie again. And just a note : everytime putting him down, i am still going thru a big fight...but it beats fighting him holding him and walking all around, right? It is also to teach him how to fall asleep on his own - i am still hoping to see that.

Any mummies also successfully uses this method? I wanna ask - so you will remain your baby in the side lying position? Or after he slept, you turn him over to sleep on his back? For me, once Louis is asleep, i'll just leave him the way it is... i dont't dare to touch him. hahahaha...

PU/P.D method is call Pickup/Put down. Simple illustration is: when put baby down cot, he cries - you try to soothen him with your pat and voice. If cannot, then you pick him up to calm him - but don't rock him. The min he stop crying, put him down again. You might be doing picking and putting him down for many many times, many many times. I haven't try this method.

btw - I dont't have any commission recommending this book...! i am just sharing what I read. ;)

Last edited:

woofy55

I have been bfeeding for one year now. My baby still wants to suck to sleep ALL the time. Only once in a blue moon she wil fall asleep (while been carried by daddy) without havin to nurse, otherwise she will be screaming to be nursed.

Thank goodness now she only naps once a day!

I co sleep with her n she will wake up at least 3x to suck. Ive never had a good night sleep!! I give her up to 2 years old!

OH.. from the book, this is call "accidental parenting" - whereby you are using yr breast as a prop to make her sleep. For me, my prop is "carrying and rocking him to sleep". Unless you are okay with it, you might want to try stopping it soon. But i don't think you are okay since u mention you nvr had a good nite sleep. It might be hard cos she's been using this method to sleep for a year. You will need more effort if you trying to correct her. Jiayou! HOpe you have your sleep back soon!

Last edited:

jojoki

shush/pat is combination of "shhhhhh-ing" and patting your baby's back to sleep. It was said that baby cannot concentrate on too many things at one go. So he can't cry and listen to the shhhhhh... and patting and the patting sound all at the same time. For Louis, it works and he will stop crying.. and the rythemic shhhhh-ing and patting sound will somehow make him drowsy. But mummies, rmber - everything need perserverance.. i also went thru a big fight with him before it works on him eventually. But i find it's much better than to carry him all around the house... it's too exhausting. With this method, i'll just have to put aside 15-20mins to make sure he's "down" - but usually he's down earlier. I just stay by to make sure he dont't suddenly wakie again. And just a note : everytime putting him down, i am still going thru a big fight...but it beats fighting him holding him and walking all around, right? It is also to teach him how to fall asleep on his own - i am still hoping to see that.

Any mummies also successfully uses this method? I wanna ask - so you will remain your baby in the side lying position? Or after he slept, you turn him over to sleep on his back? For me, once Louis is asleep, i'll just leave him the way it is... i dont't dare to touch him. hahahaha...

PU/P.D method is call Pickup/Put down. Simple illustration is: when put baby down cot, he cries - you try to soothen him with your pat and voice. If cannot, then you pick him up to calm him - but dont't rock him. The min he stop crying, put him down again. You might be doing picking and putting him down for many many times, many many times. I have not't try this method.

btw - I dont't have any commission recommending this book...! i am just sharing what I read. ;)
sounds a bit like the methods from Dr Harvey Karpp's " Happies Baby on the Block"

Excerpts | The Happiest Baby On The Block

the 5's' swaddling, side/stomache,shhh (shushing), swinging, sucking
YouTube - The Happiest Baby on the Block - Richard & Judy

jojoki

OH.. from the book, this is call "accidental parenting" - whereby you are using yr breast as a prop to make her sleep. For me, my prop is "carrying and rocking him to sleep". Unless you are okay with it, you might want to try stopping it soon. But i dont't think you are okay since you mention you never had a good nite sleep. It might be hard cos she's been using this method to sleep for a year. You will need more effort if you trying to correct her. Jiayou! HOpe you have your sleep back soon!
i use to carry n rock but the moment she hit 8 kg around 5mths of age i had to put a stop to it before my back snaps! but i'm used to it di.... hehe!!

Verona's

then usually how do you make her go to sleep? carry her?
not sure but my baby like pacifier.. so have to either carry her walk around or let her lie on my stomach
Nowadays she is active in the day , she only take 1-2 hours nap one usually we play with her then can see that she look bit sleepy le , so i carry her a while till she really in deep sleep , then just put down patpat can already . Now she know le , starting really difficult . I think because i never always latch on ~ As long as she look sleepy i will faster put her down now :)

xtneqt

Hi wooffy,

I have the baby whisperer book, but until now still struggling to put baby to sleep. just tonight I tried so hard not to put her on the breast to sleep... as always, perseverance is the key.

Mummy to Baby V

My 1-year old boy is a super fussy light sleeper. I read the No-Cry Sleep Solution and No-Cry Nap Solution, many useful ideas and life has been much better with some room for progress.

It is very 'strange': since Day 1, even though I try my best not to let him nurse to sleep (I.e. Daddy carries him to sleep, I pat him or he fell asleep 3 times by himself), he would still wake up frequently to nurse. His record was 10 times!!! It has reduced to only a few times nowadays. I am planning to sleep in another room from him & Daddy to see if "out of sight, out of mind" will work.

He rejected the pacifier after using it for a short while.

The poor boy also has a bad patch of eczema on his face, so if it turns itchy, it would disturb his sleep and he needs to nurse for comfort to overcome the itch. Of course, I'd rather let him nurse than scratch his face.

I have adjusted by sleeping early, so that I'd have sufficient rest through the night. Most of the time, I'm not very conscious of his nursing and we cuddle to sleep.

Like Jojoki, I'm giving him up to 2years old to nurse, and will try to educate him about sleeping by himself via stories.

By the way, I love the No-Cry books. You may read our reviews here: http://www.mummysreviews.com/tag/Elizabeth-pantley/