Be Careful Of Dishonest Tutor Here

edy

Administrator
Staff member
Kitty

You might want to provide info and the facts on what has happened.

-e

Ruth Wong

YEs Kitty. Do share if there is solid evidence on this "tutor" to save other parents from an unpleasant experience. ; ))

kitty

My advice to those who need a private tutor is to get someone you know or someone has recommended to you.My mistake was to engage her desperately even though she doen't have high qualification.It's a bad memories for me and my kid,don't wish to recall again.

All the Best

stonston

Hi Kitty, sorry to hear about your experience.

Word of mouth is always the best. I have a few friends whom I can recommend but they can only start after this year's exams as their schedule is now full.

Alternatively, you should negotiate with the tutor for a trial lesson before you decide/confirm the tutor. You can also request to sit in during the lessons to see what is going on. I always welcome parents to sit in during the lessons so that they can reinforce the learning throughout the week too.

You can try asking for contacts at KS Parents forum (but pls be careful as some of them are the tutors themselves).

angelnbabes

My advice to those who need a private tutor is to get someone you know or someone has recommended to you.My mistake was to engage her desperately even though she doen't have high qualification.It's a bad memories for me and my kid,don't wish to recall again.

All the Best
I sympathise with you. I went through the same like you trusting my kid to a fat tutor called Eileen. As I stayed in Tampines, its quite a trip for me to bring him to pasir ris. After some months, I realised he didn't learn much and discovered that this tutor actually went out giving tuition to others and used her sister to teach the group of students. No wonder my son know nuts. I started to also realise from other mothers that what this tutor claims to have a degree qualification was also a big lie.

Ya i think it is better to get a tutor through recommendation or if you are concerned about getting duped, maybe u can request to check the tutor qualification cert to just be on the safe side.

MySingaporeTutor

Yes ladies. I totally agree with you. There will be definitely dishonest tutors out there but there are also many good, capable, and dedicated tutors who usually can improve your grades. Therefore, one has to take note when finding a good tutor.

Maybe you can consider signing up with tuition agency. At least, they screen their tutors and act as a middleman. In a case of a bad tutors, they are there to help you. Maybe like providing a free replacement or etc?

Anyway, you may want to take a look at MySingaporeTutor. It is a Singapore Tuition Agency that helps to find tutor for you. We screen our tutors and make it a requirement for our tutors to bring their qualification certificates on their first lesson. Interview before the lesson can be arrange between you and the tutors. We have tutors ranging from graduates and undergraduates from top local universities, full-time tutors and etc. We look forward to serving you. Our registration is free:)

If not, there are also many tuition agencies in Singapore, most of them usually screen their tutors and offer a 'protection' policy in the event of an bad tutors. Hope my information helps. Thank you.

Cheers!
MySingaporeTutor

[ Website: MySingaporeTutor - Singapore Tuition By Our Reliable Tuition Teacher ]

[ Facebook: MySingaporeTutor | Facebook ]

[ Call Mr Lim at 81265616 ]

slimmom

I think I know who you are talking about. A few years back when I was staying at Riverina, I send my kid to this called Eileen's home for tuition. Her blk should be 776 in Pasir Ris. She promised me a one to one tuition and in the end not only my kid was mixed with others, I also caught her many times coming back from somewhere else when I went there to pick my kid early. After a few months, when I noticed she kept badmouthing at other mothers, I finally called it a day. To me, I hold great respect to a teacher. If a teacher can keep on gossiping or badmouth other people, I really questioned about her integrity.

Balim05

Be Careful Of Dishonest Tutor Here
I just want to share that there's one dishonest tutor here,mummies please be careful!!!!
I also have some unpleasand experience with the tutor to teach my son. Tuition agency are mostly money minded. Not only that, those personal tutor advertise by themselves through internet also cannot be trusted.

I have experience with a lady tutor. I found her through her internet advertisement. After a few lessons she started using different excuses to postpone the lessons, especially school holidays. So it became my son need attend the two or three lessons in one week. In my opinion, children need a consistant practice in order to get good result. Not to rush him and ask him remember the knowledge in one week. The tutor also has an excuse to say that no need give him tuition homework cos my son need to handle school homework. I feel this lady tutor is irresponsible. I decided terminate her. I given her one and a half month notice. But she dragged the lessons again. I called her once a week when she can come. She kept on saying that she is not "fully recovered" from sick. One and a half month gone, she still cannot finish the last lesson. Do parents believe that this lady sick for such a long time? You get well three weeks even got chicken pox.

Furthermore, I found her using same phone number but different Christian name and teach different subject to advertise. Why she use another name? Can you figure it out?

I agreed with stonton. Word of mouth is the best. Anyplace can share the good or bad experience or tutor? But not offended anybody. So that all the parents are aware and avoid those black sheep.

Last edited:

kitty

I also have some unpleasand experience with the tutor to teach my son. Tuition agency are mostly money minded. Not only that, those personal tutor advertise by themselves through internet also cannot be trusted.

I have experience with a lady tutor. I found her through her internet advertisement. After a few lessons she started using different excuses to postpone the lessons, especially school holidays. So it became my son need attend the two or three lessons in one week. In my opinion, children need a consistant practice in order to get good result. Not to rush him and ask him remember the knowledge in one week. The tutor also has an excuse to say that no need give him tuition homework cos my son need to handle school homework. I feel this lady tutor is irresponsible. I decided terminate her. I given her one and a half month notice. But she dragged the lessons again. I called her once a week when she can come. She kept on saying that she is not "fully recovered" from sick. One and a half month gone, she still cannot finish the last lesson. Do parents believe that this lady sick for such a long time? You get well three weeks even got chicken pox.

Furthermore, I found her using same phone number but different Christian name and teach different subject to advertise. Why she use another name? Can you figure it out?

I agreed with stonton. Word of mouth is the best. Anyplace can share the good or bad experience or tutor? But not offended anybody. So that all the parents are aware and avoid those black sheep.
Lately,i found another dishonest one again.She's reluctant to show me her certificates which she claims that she has them!!!!!

Balim05

Maybe some people will comment that because of a bad experience with 1 tutor and I was condemning the entire industry?

Yes, it is true there are black sheep in every industry, same to parents. But parents have right to know. Parents have their choice. Do investigation before choose.

It is just like the spa case. You took my money first. When I try to make appointment for service, you will say fully booked. After sometime, you moved. So establish law become necessary. Same thing should be done to tutor. There is a retired tutor told me that they are no need to pay tax. They set the rules and parents can choose to follow. When come to the arguement, which section should parents or tutor seek for help?

Just to share.
SgForums :: Singapore's Online Community - Dishonest tutor
http://sgforums.com/forums/1279/topics/376107
http://www.mytuitionclub.com.sg/forum/v ... ?f=8&t=134

kitty

Maybe some people will comment that because of a bad experience with 1 tutor and I was condemning the entire industry?

Yes, it is true there are black sheep in every industry, same to parents. But parents have right to know. Parents have their choice. Do investigation before choose.

It is just like the spa case. You took my money first. When I try to make appointment for service, you will say fully booked. After sometime, you moved. So establish law become necessary. Same thing should be done to tutor. There is a retired tutor told me that they are no need to pay tax. They set the rules and parents can choose to follow. When come to the arguement, which section should parents or tutor seek for help?

Just to share.
SgForums :: Singapore's Online Community - Dishonest tutor
SgForums :: Singapore's Online Community - bad tuition agencies
http://www.mytuitionclub.com.sg/forum/v ... ?f=8&t=134
Thanks for the link,mytuitionclub is a good one.

MySingaporeTutor

To make sure that the tutor is honest, he/she should produce his 2item for your identification on the first lesson.

1) Qualification certificates.
- As the tuition fee is based on the tutor qualifications, some tutors claimed he/she have certain qualification and grades in order to increase the tuition fee. Some tutors also claimed to attain certain good grades in their tutoring subjects in a bid for you to hire them.
- Therefore it is very important to verify the qualification certificates so you know you are paying a tutor who has the substance and quality, not some who claim or falsies their qualification and grades.

2) Working ID/School ID.
- Verifying the working/school ID help to verify the tutors other commitment. How does this information useful to any parents? Parents should verify if this tutor is really from this schools. Some tutors claimed that they are from top schools but in fact, they are just lying. Some professional tutors also claim that they have other teaching,lecturing job but in fact,they too are lying.
- But what is the worst scenario I heard before is this tutors who was a part-time tutor and a part-time 'credit collector' (* nicer term for loan shark runner). Imagine which parents will want their child and daughter to mix with a tutor who has a bad background? Therefore, it is useful for parents to check their tutor's background.

However, most agencies do not require their tutors to bring their qualification certificates and working/school ID, some claimed they have already verified these tutors and there is no need for any verification on your part. Some tutors even object to produce their certifications and ID, citing privacy and other excuses.

Therefore, these agencies and tutors are preventing you on checking the quality and substances of the tutor you are hiring, and also the premium tuition fee that the tutor is asking for. How can we know that these agency really do verify their qualification and ID? If this is so, why cant the agency produce their qualification and ID when you request for it? If tutor who claim who they are, why are they hesitant in producing their qualification and ID? What you hear and what you see may be 2different things.

Therefore, MySingaporeTutor requires their tutors to bring their qualification certificates and working/school ID on the first lesson. No more unreliable tutors and false qualification grades. We valued the importance of reliability and your child education. Our tuition rate is also 10-20% lower than market rate, no more sky high tuition fee that eats into your precious income. You may visit our website below.

Website: MySingaporeTutor - Singapore Tuition: Reliable & Affordable Tutors

Find us on Facebook with almost 400 others supporters/fans: MySingaporeTutor | Facebook

Hi,

please ensure that your tutor has verification documents for her education and work credentials. It is always better to check.

I am the head tuition coordinator of Perfect Score Tuition, and we request for our tutors to bring their certificates on the first lesson. Do remind the agent that you have approached that you would like to make this request. It is always okay to ask more from the agencies/tuition centres.

Regards,
Jocelyn Chua
Perfect Score Tuition Singapore

Chelsea

Hi, i know of one reliable n gd math teacher, with at least 10yrs experience, charging $60 An hour for sec one n two. Anyone interested can let me know.