bf-my milk supply?

I hope someone can help.

Last week i start having crack and sore nipple and i do not dare to bf my baby. The condition is so bad that i cannot even pump. So i tot when it not so painful then i will continue bf my baby. This week will it become better I found out that my breast milk supply had drop significantly low. I can only pump one oz after so long. I try latch my baby on and found out tat she no longer getting enough milk and keep crying. I went to poly clinic to ask if tat and medication I can tks to increase the milk supply but the doctor told me none. I ask the doctor if I can take fenugreek and the doctor say it ok. So I go to the drug store and get a bottle of it and taking it according to the instructions. They breastmilk do seem to increase bit after 3 day of taking the fenugreek but it still not enough for my little one. I worry that it will not increase anymore. I really still want to bf my baby. Did this happen to anyone b4? Pls advice. My baby is only 1 month and drinking 4 oz.

Autum

Hello Nesshermes,

This happen to me as well. I thought I am the only one fretting over this.

My baby now is ard 1.5mths. I had no prob with my milk supply during the first month and I can have up to 4 to 5 oz per squeeze. Becos my bb had diahrrea after breastfeeding during the first month and I stop feeding him. Now my milk supply drop tremendously. I wanted to continue BF my bb but my supply only left with 1 oz like you after a long pump. The worst is my bb no longer interested in latching. Luckily he still interested in the milk that I pump out and warm it for him. I am taking fenugreek and the mother's milk tea to boost up. But it doesnt seems to work. My bb now takes 3 to 4 oz per feed. I donnoe how I should proceed to boost up my milk supply like the first month. :-(

I tried taking back the red date tea, it works a little bit more but I still cant get more oz.... :-(

Any mummies can help to advise what we should do?

1st you need to start drinking plenty and plenty of fluid and have a healthy and sufficient diet. Soup helps too. Papaya and fish soup is great. Milk source needs to come from somewhere right? Next, you need to persevere. Do not give up. If there is a demand, your body will supply. Baby's suckling will trigger your body to produce more milk. Let your baby latch on as much as possible. I sometimes pump out one breast while baby latched on to the other. You need to get your body to start production so don't give up so easily.

nesshermes, when you stopped bfing for a week didn't you suffer from engorgement?

1st you need to start drinking plenty and plenty of fluid and have a healthy and sufficient diet. Soup helps too. Papaya and fish soup is great. Milk source needs to come from somewhere right? Next, you need to persevere. Do not give up. If there is a demand, your body will supply. Baby's suckling will trigger your body to produce more milk. Let your baby latch on as much as possible. I sometimes pump out one breast while baby latched on to the other. You need to get your body to start production so dont't give up so easily.

nesshermes, when you stopped bfing for a week didn't you suffer from engorgement?
yes i get engorgement. But I don't dare to do anything coz too painful. I tk panadol to ease the pain. I nv know Tatum the supply can drop so fast. it tk yrs for the milk to come in but only days to drop. I regret stopping. I should have just tahan with the pain. Can you teach me how to cook the papaya soup?

4mummy

yes i get engorgement. But I dont't dare to do anything coz too painful. I tk panadol to ease the pain. I never know Tatum the supply can drop so fast. it tk yrs for the milk to come in but only days to drop. I regret stopping. I should have just tahan with the pain. Can you teach me how to cook the papaya soup?
Hi,

Try using nipple cream for the sore nipples. Some cream need to be wiped off before bfeeding, some don't need to.
U may try Medela Purelan Cream 7g (yes, 7g is more than enough) - no need to wipe off.
Can buy from most pharmacies.
Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
That's why your milk supply dwindled. Coz you didn't pump out when engorged. That's how you normally stop milk production. Nevermind. Now you need to concentrate on getting it back up again. Next time you so sore you can't latch or express milk, use your bare hands and gently squeeze your breast to express milk. No need to touch the nipples. Sounds barbaric but it works.

I got this recipe from Thomson Medical when I was warded for my pregnancy. Simple but delicious.

Fish and Papaya Soup

Ingredients
200 g green (unripe) papaya
Fish bones or a whole fish (eg. carp, snakehead, sea bream, promfret)
Slices of ginger
Note: in order not to waste the fish meat, use the bones, head or tail.
Method
Scale and clean the fish.
Simmer together with pieces of papaya and ginger for 1 – 2 hours or until it becomes soft.
Remove the bones from the fish before serving it. You are supposed to take it consecutively for three days. Avoid stirring during cooking.
No need to eat the papaya. ( but I do :) )

Last edited:
Ok thank you mama penguin, I will go to the market tomorrow to buy a fish and try hopefully I can know how to cook. Btw heard they say there a kind of tea also help iincrease milk supply. Is it call mother milk tea or something like that? Where can I buy it?

Hello Nesshermes,

This happen to me as well. I thought I am the only one fretting over this.

My baby now is around 1.5mths. I had no prob with my milk supply during the first month and I can have up to 4 to 5 oz per squeeze. Becos my baby had diahrrea after breastfeeding during the first month and I stop feeding him. Now my milk supply drop tremendously. I wanted to continue BF my baby but my supply only left with 1 oz like you after a long pump. The worst is my baby no longer interested in latching. Luckily he still interested in the milk that I pump out and warm it for him. I am taking fenugreek and the mother's milk tea to boost up. But it doesnt seems to work. My baby now takes 3 to 4 oz per feed. I donnoe how I should proceed to boost up my milk supply like the first month. :-(

I tried taking back the red date tea, it works a little bit more but I still cant get more oz.... :-(

Any mummies can help to advise what we should do?
Hi autumn,

I believe you are felt very bad over Tat also. I even blame myself. I really enjoy bf my baby as I nv get to do it during my first baby. Now this baby was so close and will setter down as long as I offer my breast I felt so good been a mum and I think I felt closes to her then towards my first one. I really really want to stop and I'm like pump and researching on how to gt back the supply. I wish the best too. Hopefully we both can make it again. Btw, I don't know that the red date longan tea help to increase supply. How do you know
It? Now where u buy the mother milk tea? Can mix fenugreek and the tea together ma?

gumbokins

For sore nipples, use purelan after every feed. try to go bra-less to allow the nipples to air out. You can also rub breastmilk on them, it has healing properties.

Pumping is not an accurate representation of your supply. BFing is a simple equation: supply = demand. Very rarely do mums actually have low supply issues, because as long as you keep latching, your body will keep producing.

not sure if you can or should be mixing fenugreek and sacred tea together...

kellymom.com is a very good source for many bfing issues. i found myself reading a lot of the articles on my iphone during night feeds..heehee.

stay positive and keep on bf-ing! jy!

Autum

Yes... i m extremely sad and regret for not continuing to BF my bb. But see him diahrrea, I cant bear to continue. Everyone is saying keep latching but my bb now doesnt like it at all already. He will give funny noises, grumble n even pretend to vomit! Yes, 1.5 months only he does that.... so sad.

I read from the brochure given by Thomson that red date tea promotes milk supply n my CL confirms that it helps...

I m currently taking the "Traditional Medicinals Organic Mother's Milk" Traditional Medicinals :: Organic Mothers Milk® Coupon and taking "Nature Way Fenugreek" from iherb. My friend ordered for me. M taking them together everyday since my son is born.

Autum

they don sell in singapore? i also buy the purelan gel advise by 4mummy and gambokin. hopefully all goes well.
Not sure if they are selling in Singapore. My friends has always ordered supplements in group from iherbs etc as they said its the same thing but cheaper to get online and ship over than get it from SG. At first I dont believe and thought those online selling ones may not be good. But when I compared the supplement, those supplement from the web is better than those selling in Sg stores. E.g. Multivits. Doc advise me to take "Obimin". My friend found one for replacement which has 4 or 5 more vits in it.

Amulet

Apart from thing like green papaya fish soup and red date tea or some other methods, there is actually a medication that can increase milk supply.. Domperidone.. It's actually a kind of med ppl take for gastric gas and nauseous..

Edwinie

Yes... i m extremely sad and regret for not continuing to BF my bb. But see him diahrrea, I cant bear to continue. Everyone is saying keep latching but my bb now doesnt like it at all already. He will give funny noises, grumble n even pretend to vomit! Yes, 1.5 months only he does that.... so sad.

I read from the brochure given by Thomson that red date tea promotes milk supply n my CL confirms that it helps...

I m currently taking the "Traditional Medicinals Organic Mother's Milk" Traditional Medicinals :: Organic Mothers Milk® Coupon and taking "Nature Way Fenugreek" from iherb. My friend ordered for me. M taking them together everyday since my son is born.
my son also grumbles and whole body struggles! make me stress. he stress i stress! then i started full time pumping during week 3-4 and bottle feed him. easier for both of us, although i miss the body contact. sometimes after i pump, i'll just offer him my nipple just for fun. he still knows how to suckle after 2 months plus of bottle feeding. haha!!! =)

Edwinie

Hello all!

I'm having a sore throat and cough now, so I'm drinking lots of water and going to the toilet very often.

Because of the huge amount of water I drink, I pumped extra 40ml-60ml milk then I usually did when I drink water normally. So this proves my theory that drinking lots of water helps to increase milk supply. and by lots, I mean lots, as if you have a sore throat. :001_302:

gumbokins

Yup when my boy was having growth spurt i found myself vvv thirsty and vvvv hungry. Nowadays sleep with a waterbottle so can keep hydrated during the night.

wow really? i think i should start to drink lots of water. (now im drink around 1.4l a day) i think i should double that amount. Now im getting abit better back on track but still not good enough. sometime milk still not enough for dear gal. Now i full time latch on hopefully can have more more milk

my son also grumbles and whole body struggles! make me stress. he stress i stress! then i started full time pumping during week 3-4 and bottle feed him. easier for both of us, although i miss the body contact. sometimes after i pump, i'll just offer him my nipple just for fun. he still knows how to suckle after 2 months plus of bottle feeding. haha!!! =)
Really? you didn't let your baby suckle for so long and he still know how to do so? I am relief to hear that. Yesterday I had a 'war' with baby, she tried to suckle but i guess due to my short nipple, she find it difficult and lazy to latch on. At the end of the day, i got sore nipples. Thinking of expressing my milk out today to let my nipples recover. I am glad that my ms is increasing.

Edwinie

Really? you didn't let your baby suckle for so long and he still know how to do so? I am relief to hear that. Yesterday I had a 'war' with baby, she tried to suckle but i guess due to my short nipple, she find it difficult and lazy to latch on. At the end of the day, i got sore nipples. Thinking of expressing my milk out today to let my nipples recover. I am glad that my ms is increasing.
i need to help him adjust his lower lip a bit such that it covers the colored area. i only can do that after i pump, otherwise my milk flow will be too strong for him. haha!

actually i pumped all the way. until my friend told me that she has been breastfeeding for 1 yr plus, both pumping and latching because she like the closeness. then it made me remember the closeness i felt with him. so these few days i let my son latch a bit. haha!