Birth of My First Baby - Sapphlyn

Triquetra

I am currently in KK Hospital, BB still couldn't go home as she has to remain here for at least 24 hours.

Date of Birth: 19th August 2009, Wednesday
Weight: 3.66 kgs
Measurement: 51cm
Gestation: 38 weeks 6 days
Place of Birth: Kandang Kerbau Hospital
Delivered by: Dr Goh Shen-Li

3.00AM
Couldn't sleep as I was having some tummy discomfort and cramping. Talked to BB and asked her to come out faster as I want to hug hug her.

4.30AM
Finally managed to sleep.

6.00AM
Woke up as the pain felt at the tummy got much more intensed. Beside cramping and piercing pain around the abdominal area, I also felt my back aching. Started having very bad diarrhea. Informed Korkor about my discomfort as I was supposed to go back at 8am to take care of Ashton who had been having stomach flu since Sunday night.

8.10AM
Fell asleep again after having diarrhea for about 6-7 times.

9.00AM
Woke up again, the pain had subsided. Hubby wanted to take leave but I told him that I was already feeling alot better. There wasn't any backache or piercing pain anymore though I was still having diarrhea and slight cramps. Mom called to say that she just seen a doctor for stomach flu as she had been having stomachache, diarrhea and vomitting for the whole night. I told her that I was having the same symptoms and didn't go back.

10.30AM
The cramps started worsening and I thought it was due to dehydration or gastric pain. Tried calling the KKH appointment hotline to see if it's possible to change my appointment to a day earlier. The person told me that Dr Goh Shen-Li had no available slot, she transferred my line to The Private Suite and asked me to check with them. Waited for quite some time but there wasn't any answer, gave up and went to drink a cup of milo.

11.00AM
Vomitted the milo out, felt very uncomfortable. MIL and PIL saw and got worried, PIL called Hubby and asked him to take me to the doctor. I tried calling The Private Suite again, the staff told me that Dr Goh Shen-Li would only be staying at the clinic until 11.15am, she advised me to go to the 24 hr clinic at KKH (which will ask me to go to the delivery suite). Wanted to go to a GP but afraid that the doctor will refer me back to KKH, I decided to go to the hospital directly.

11.45AM
Hubby came back to fetch me to the hospital. Decided to bring the hospital bag along just in case, did some last minute packing and went off at about 12+ pm. Could barely speak throughout the trip to the hospital due to the cramps and piercing pain.

01.00PM
Reached the hospital and vomitted a few times upon reaching entering the B2 lobby. Went to the delivery suite, Hubby was asked to wait outside for me. Noticed from the CTG machine that I had the piercing pain after each contraction (I assumed as I didn't know how to read the machine).

01.45PM
Dr Goh came and I told her that I suspected that I was having stomach flu as Mommy, nephew and brother got it. She checked the CTG machine and did a vaginal examination for me, she told me that I was in labour. I was having contraction every 3 minutes and was already 3cm dilated. Dr Goh transferred me to the labour ward, Hubby was shocked to see me being wheelchaired out and even more when I said that I am in labour.

02.00PM
Reached the labour ward, Dr Goh came at about 2.15pm to break my waterbag while Hubby went to buy lunch for himself. The warm fluid gushed and it continued upon each contraction. I was put on oxytocin drip and was told that I would probably give birth around midnight. Was also injected medication for my nauseaness.

04.50PM
Contraction had been getting more and more painful, my back was hurting a lot as well. I had been trying to endure the pain as I hope I wouldn't use epidural. Dr Goh came back to check on me, she told me I was 4cm dilated. Felt very disheartened that after 3 hours, I had only dilated 1 cm.

06.00PM
Finally gave in to epidural as the pain was becoming unbearable. Beside the backache and cramps, there was also the intense piercing pain after each contraction. While the anesthetist (he came quite quickly) was inserting the epidural thing, Hubby went to meet his friend downstair to get the camera as well as to have his dinner.

06.30PM
The anesthetist took 2 attempts for the insertion as the first area of my spine was too narrow. My pain was almost instantly relieved. The kind nurse checked that I was about 5cm dilated, she asked me to get some rest. Told BB to be good and come out before midnight. Started feeling drowsy and fell asleep about 15 minutes later.

07.00PM
Hubby came back at about 7.00pm and told me that he really likes the name Sapphlyn. He gave me the puppy eyes I couldn't resist and so I agreed. I kept trying to stay awake but ended up falling asleep every half an hour for 15 - 30 minutes each time. Felt really weak as I didn't eat anything and had been vomitting all the while.

07.40PM
Dr Goh came and checked me for dilation. I was surprised when she told me that I was already 8cm dilated and I would give birth before midnight. She also told me that I should wait for awhile for BB's head to go down lower after I reached 10cm dilation.

08.25PM
Another nurse (change shift) came and checked that I was about 9cm dilated.

09.20PM
The nurse came and started asking me to push. Both Hubby and I were shocked as there wasn't anyone else around. She explained that it was only to push the baby lower or something and she had already informed Dr Goh. Was only asked to push for a few contractions, about 3 times when each contraction came. I was too numbed to feel the contraction so the nurse guided me through. Was asked to rest for awhile before Dr Goh came.

09.50PM
Dr Goh came and by then the nurse had already decreased the epidural dosage by half but despite that, my legs still felt numbed. Dr Goh prepared and guided me through each contraction, the nurse also helped to rub my tummy. Hubby was quite scared when Dr Goh told him to see that BB's head was about to come out.

10+PM
Finally Baby Sapphlyn is born, we were shocked again as her estimated weight during the visit 6 days ago was 2.8kgs but her actual birth weight is 3.66kgs. Dr Goh upon delivering her also said that she is a chubby baby. She looks exactly like her Daddy~

esthergal

Hello dear, congratulations on your newborn baby girl!! Thanks for sharing your birth story, it's so helpful for us first-time mummies :) Take care, rest well and enjoy your baby!

Mama Ina

Morning..

Congratulation on ur newborn baby.. Such a cool experience rite.. Thinking back, remind me during my pregnancy times... heehehee.. I lyoike..

nadmunzuh

Congrats Triquetra on ur new bundle of joy !!:Dancing_tongue:

Ur baby is quite big 3.6kg, she must be very cute and chubby (as wat ur gynae mentioned)...

Take a good rest !!

sufeit0115

Wow didn't see you post anything for the past 2 days cos you went to deliver your baby!! you are very brave mummy, congrats on your chubby little precious! Rest well!

Sapphlyn is a nice name!

autumn82

Congrats upon the arrival of your lil' Sapphlyn! :) 3.66kg very cute~~~ Do post her pics soon~~ :)

Rest well in the meantime!