Bread

mandymtb

when can i start giving my gal?

and wat kind of bread? plain? wholegrains?

my gal is bout 9 1/2mths now

thks mummies :)

meiteoh

Usually the recommended age for introducing wheat-based products is around 12 months but I noticed mummies here don't really stick to the rules so around 9 months is good IF your family has no history of gluten allergies OR wheat intolerance. Just follow the four day rule and I'd suggest that you give a bit of plain white bread first as wholegrains are harder to digest. Once the four days are over, you can replace with wholegrain breads as they are healthier. Opt for ones made with rye, wholemeal or spelt; if possible, make your own as they contain less preservatives and additives (very common in commercial breads).

mandymtb

Usually the recommended age for introducing wheat-based products is around 12 months but I noticed mummies here dont't really stick to the rules so around 9 months is good IF your family has no history of gluten allergies OR wheat intolerance. Just follow the four day rule and I'd suggest that you give a bit of plain white bread first as wholegrains are harder to digest. Once the four days are over, you can replace with wholegrain breads as they are healthier. Opt for ones made with rye, wholemeal or spelt; if possible, make your own as they contain less preservatives and additives (very common in commercial breads).
how will i knw is she can handle the bread and not getting choke on it??

cos she has one tooth and i really dun see much of her gumming action... so am quite afraid to introduce her anything more solid than puree now...

but she is already coming to 10mths now, and i hope to wean her off the pureee foods... any advise pls? :)

Ting

hmmmm maybe u give her porridge or more chunky food with texture instead of puree food?
let her get use to the texture first b4 gg on the bread.

meiteoh

Reason you don't really see any gumming action going on is because your little one has no need to gum anything (everything is smooth or liquid so there is no need to chew). :p

One way for babies to learn how to gum is to allow them to reach and grab for food items by themselves (baby-led weaning). This can be accomplished by introducing finger foods. You can start off with mashed pieces of fruit if you're worried about choking hazards. Ting has a good idea!

I only give Eva is the soft white part of the bread and it's just a pinch at one time but this was after I started her with puffs and soft pieces of fruit as finger foods. At 10 months old, your little one can start taking finger foods - in fact, they can start on it from as early as 6-7 months old. It will help them develop certain skills like pincer grasp.

Gerber puffs have added sugar so go easy on it. For puffs, I prefer Happy Bellies coz it has less sugar; Teddy Puffs are good as well but they are slightly harder so not really meant for beginners (although I started Eva on it). Alternatively, you can buy brown rice puffs (cereal-organic section at NTUC).

mandymtb

i was aso thinking to give her not the puree type food.. but veg like cauliflower and asparagus, aft steaming, how i do process them? Chop finely or put in blender??

Ting: she already on porridge... jus tat the veg, fruit and meat are still the puree type... am worried tt she dunno how to gum and move her jaw, so wanted to stop the puree process... but if stop the puree process, how shld i process her food (veg fruit and meat) then? Chop??

mei: Ting has got what good idea?? u got the brand of the brown rice puff frm ntuc? is there an organic section in ntuc?? which brand is tat?

Last edited:

meiteoh

Ting's idea is to intro porridge with some texture or lumpier foods. For example, instead of chicken stock to make porridge, why not boil the chicken fillet whole in the porridge, then remove and shred into a floss and add back again into the porridge? Or can do things like put in some grated cheese with her puree OR serve up some soft pasta with veg puree as a sauce and grated cheese as a topping. :p

With veg and fruit, you can use your blender but just don't blend for too long (pulse blending is a good option). You can mash as well. You don't have to start by replacing all your meals with lumpier foods if you think your little one cannot handle the "shock". Just start off with offering more snacks - it's okay for babies to snack (just make sure it's healthy la) - like sliced fruit (make sure your little one can hold it in her hand) or even grated veg like grated carrots, steamed broccoli or cauliflower (just give one floret for her to try), one sweet pea, grapes that have been peeled and cut into half, and so forth. This way, babies learn to equate feeding themselves with learning how to chew plus the mess is fun to watch as well. As with all self-feeding, parents need to be there to supervise in case anything goes down the wrong pipe (choking and such).

Then when she has a good idea of how to gum foods, can start replacing her foods with more lumpier ones. :)

Yeah, Fairprice at the bigger stores like in Tampines or Simei have those cereal puffs under the organic section. The brand is Good Morning and the cereals come in a variety of types - millet, brown rice, buckwheat, and multigrain. I have the buckwheat one for breakfast this morning just to test it out and it "melts" in the yogurt so am thinking of introducing that as a snack for Eva. It has no added sugar or salt or flavourings and is made from wholegrains. :)

mandymtb

mei, wat exactly does "Grated" means?

the only baby pasta i hv come across so far is from Bellamy... it is made of spelt flour... i dunno wat kind of flour is this, is it safe and ok for them to take this at 10mths old?? or are there any other brands ard?

u mentioned 1 floret of cauli, u mean after steaming/cooking, give them the 1 floret w the stem like this...?

i assumed the sweet pea no need to cut, jus give like this..? ohh.... duno is it jus me or wat... but am really scared she will choke on this pea... :embarrassed:

and thks so much for the brand name of the puff!! it certainly help so tat i dun hv to go round the whole ntuc and find aimlessly...

oh ya! thks aso for your reply on the other thread... ur simple sentence on "taking puree as sauce" really enlightens me....:001_302:

meiteoh

Grate means to use a grater and just grate out food. See this link - grated - Google Images

Spelt is a kind of grain that is related to wheat. If you have not introduced this to your baby, then you'll need to stick to the four day rule. I think Cold Storage carries their Brown Rice Pasta Stars as well. Just need to find coz they sell out very fast.

Yes, give 1 floret with stem as well. Same with sweat pea - don't need to cut. It's for baby to learn how to gum. Hai, don't worry about the choking. You just need to keep an eye on her. Otherwise if you worry too much, no need to feed baby any finger food liao! :p

Frenchkitty

When we were in Aussie, I realised the ang-moh moms give their children wholegrains / wholemeal bread and their babies drink fresh cow's milk. Maybe that's why their babies are so chubby?

anyway, I give my son calcium-enriched wholemeal bread

meiteoh

Urm, I don't think it's because of that. After the Americans, Australians are the 2nd most obese people in the world and it's mostly coz of the portions of food they eat followed by what they eat.

Anyway, when baby hits 12 months, their main source of nutrition should come from solids and not milk anymore. Hence why the focus is not so much on milk so they just drink cow's milk which is an excellent source of calcium and protein. DHA and the other stuff you find in formulas can be found in fish and other foods. So their rationale could be why spend so much on formula when you can get all you need from a balanced diet?

Wheat-related items like breads can be introduced from as early as 8 to 9 mths old. My hubby's friend gives her daughter dark rye breads (super healthy) as a snack/teething rusk instead of regular commercial teething rusks.

holeyman1

i give Toby milk bread which is commonly found in supermarkets.

bonjour or gardenier both has them. He devours them in seconds!

meiteoh

Wholemeal is way better because what happens with white bread is that in the milling process (where they make flour), all the bran is removed, making the flour white. The bran is the part of the wheat that contains most of the nutrients. There is a saying "The whiter the bread, the faster you're dead". Same goes with processed sugar - white sugar is sweeter and worse compared to brown sugar or molasses sugar.