Breast Engorgerment >help<

MommyEtrini

i've been breast feeding for 1mth 2weeks & 4days now &
still suffering from engorgement .
when will the engorgement actually will stops 100%?:embarrassed:

snowbear

oh how many hours should i pump?
Technically you shld pump whenever your child needs to feed if your supply matches demand.

Supply will stabilise at about 2-3months so engorgement every 2-3hrs will stop. Of coz if you dun pump for a long time they'll still be engorged. :)

snowbear

latching fully ..
Why do you wanna pump if you're fully latching? Is it becoz you wanna store for future use? Bear in mind that since you're fully latching, any more pumping would mean trying to increase milk supply so next time when you stop pumping, you may still get engorgement...

uddermummy

agree with snowbear. :)

also, you may want to make sure that your bb is emptying your breasts: your breasts should feel softer after she has drunk.

If not, you may have blocked ducts.

If your supply is really sufficient, you may also want to consider letting bb drink from only one breast as this will help to empty the breasts fully, prevent engorgement, and help bb to get the richer hindmilk that will help her stay full longer.

MommyEtrini

what is richer hindmilk?
she this morning 230am , from 1130pm she suckle until 230 den she vomit . i stop in between she cry , nothing can helps . only latching

meiteoh

Breastmilk consist of foremilk and hindmilk. Foremilk is the milk that your baby will get in the initial suckling (first five minutes or so) and consist mostly of lactose and water which makes babies very gassy. It's great for quenching thirst but has very little fat and protein that baby needs in order to pack on the weight.

Hindmilk is like the full cream milk of breast milk. Your baby gets hindmilk when s/he suckles for a period of time on the SAME breast and consist mostly of fats and proteins. Your baby needs this to put on weight and also, hindmilk is more filling so s/he won't suckle so often.

If your breasts are constantly engorged, you need to check a few things:

1) How is the latch on and is your baby drinking well? Signs to watch out for are softer breasts after nursing, baby putting on weight and such, diaper count and baby showing signs of "drunkenness" after a feed.

2) How long is your baby nursing at each feed? While many midwives and paeds dont't recommend looking the clock but instead observing cues from your baby, the estimated duration of suckling on ONE breast - as given by my midwife - is 30 minutes. If it's longer, you should find out why - could be your latch on is incorrect, baby is asleep on the breast instead of drinking (no no - your boobs shouldn't be the pacifier FIRST), and so forth).

3) How are you nursing? Are you nursing from just one boob or both? Also, are you switching boobs at each feed - meaning at 2pm, you start with the right boob and finish off with the left boob; then at 4-5pm, you start with the left boob and end with the right boob, etc? If you're constantly nursing from just one boob, you could end up stimulate one boob to overproduce milk and hence the engorgement.

Also, I noticed that your baby is around 6-7 weeks old - she could be going through a growth spurt which means that she'll want to nurse more frequently. Or perhaps she has had a long day, hence why she could want to nurse more at night. Some babies will want to nurse more often at night in order to sleep for longer hours.

If the engorgement is really unbearable, get your baby to empty your breasts and apply a cold compress for 20 minutes (avoid the nipple & areola). dont't worry, after a while your supply will stabilize again. :)

Last edited:

uddermummy

what is richer hindmilk?
she this morning 230am , from 1130pm she suckle until 230 then she vomit . i stop in between she cry , nothing can helps . only latching
oh dear, you may want to monitor the situation. Is she feeling insecure and wants comfort?

If you're worried about her drinking too much, maybe you want to try using pacifiers? I give that to my dd sometimes when she's v full and still wants to suckle. But once she doesn't need it and spits the pacifier out, I won't offer it to her again.

MommyEtrini

oh dear, you may want to monitor the situation. Is she feeling insecure and wants comfort?

If you're worried about her drinking too much, maybe you want to try using pacifiers? I give that to my dear daughter sometimes when she's very full and still wants to suckle. But once she doesn't need it and spits the pacifier out, I won't offer it to her again.

she vomits when i give her pacifier .. ><

MommyEtrini

Breastmilk consist of foremilk and hindmilk. Foremilk is the milk that your baby will get in the initial suckling (first five minutes or so) and consist mostly of lactose and water which makes babies very gassy. It's great for quenching thirst but has very little fat and protein that baby needs in order to pack on the weight.

Hindmilk is like the full cream milk of breast milk. Your baby gets hindmilk when s/he suckles for a period of time on the SAME breast and consist mostly of fats and proteins. Your baby needs this to put on weight and also, hindmilk is more filling so s/he won't suckle so often.

If your breasts are constantly engorged, you need to check a few things:

1) How is the latch on and is your baby drinking well? Signs to watch out for are softer breasts after nursing, baby putting on weight and such, diaper count and baby showing signs of "drunkenness" after a feed.

2) How long is your baby nursing at each feed? While many midwives and paeds dont't recommend looking the clock but instead observing cues from your baby, the estimated duration of suckling on ONE breast - as given by my midwife - is 30 minutes. If it's longer, you should find out why - could be your latch on is incorrect, baby is asleep on the breast instead of drinking (no no - your boobs shouldn't be the pacifier FIRST), and so forth).

3) How are you nursing? Are you nursing from just one boob or both? Also, are you switching boobs at each feed - meaning at 2pm, you start with the right boob and finish off with the left boob; then at 4-5pm, you start with the left boob and end with the right boob, etc? If you're constantly nursing from just one boob, you could end up stimulate one boob to overproduce milk and hence the engorgement.

Also, I noticed that your baby is around 6-7 weeks old - she could be going through a growth spurt which means that she'll want to nurse more frequently. Or perhaps she has had a long day, hence why she could want to nurse more at night. Some babies will want to nurse more often at night in order to sleep for longer hours.

If the engorgement is really unbearable, get your baby to empty your breasts and apply a cold compress for 20 minutes (avoid the nipple & areola). dont't worry, after a while your supply will stabilize again. :)

i keep having letdown when i latch her on . *confuse*

JazN

crying can either be not having enuf milk or she needs a burp. you either need to burp her in between the feed or hold her in an upright position after a feed & burp her. Baby usually will regurgitate not vomit out the milk thus if it is vomitting you need to pay particular attention.

i think your milk supply is abundant thus causing the engorgement & expressing out your milk after a feed is required if baby does not empty your breast as engorgement will still be there if milk is not pumped out. Applying a heat compress to allow the milk to flow out helps or getting into a hot shower

Last edited:

sharonyi66

Mummies,

I got the same problem. It seems like I engorge 24/7... How i wish i could stop the milk :(

By e way, i use pump as i got inverted nipple so it's very difficult for me to latch her on..