Breast feed while having menses

Hi,

I heard from my mum that when you start to have menses, you can't give breast feed baby anymore. But, my massage lady told me that I still can.

I'm now confused. Can anyone tell me who is right? My mum or massage lady?

1568mummy

Hi daisy12moo,

I'm confused too...
'cos what I understand is, so long as you are breastfeeding, menses doesn't come.
My menses came only after I've stopped breastfeeding for one month.
My cousin who breastfed her son for 1.5 years, had the same experience too, during that 1.5years, NO menses at all.

I would love to hear from other mommies who had menses during breastfeeding.....

diymummy

Hi,

I heard from my mum that when you start to have menses, you can't give breast feed baby anymore. But, my massage lady told me that I still can.

I'm now confused. Can anyone tell me who is right? My mum or massage lady?
Hi daisy12moo,

I breastfed my son for 7 mths. My menses came back at 3 mths. Some people's menses will return earlier than others. You can still breastfeed even though your menses returned. Not to worry. The only problem is that during the time you're bleeding, the milk supply wil drop sliightly due to hormonal changes in your body.

serenelm

i'm tbf my ds3 till now (he's 10 mths old le)... my menses came back when he was abt 4-5 mths old... it's okie to continue to bf him, juz tat ur supply might dip a little during the menses period...

snowbear

My period came back when my dd was 3mths old. Now that she's 15mths+, breast milk is still the only milk that she drinks! :) I asked the LC at KKH and she told me that once bb starts to sleep thru and you dun bf for more than 4hrs at a stretch, there is a chance of period coming back (though some never get their period till they stop bfding totally). It's really how the individual body works.

It is said that supply will dip a little before period comes and may taste a little different from usual. But everything goes back to normal a couple of days after period sets in.

Last edited:

foreveris

my menses came at first month.. til now still total breastfeed and my bb is 4months plus.. yup supply drops alot when menses coming (from like 200ml/ 3hour to 120ml/ 3hour) and bb gets fussy..

isabelandrew

my menses came at first month.. til now still total breastfeed and my baby is 4months plus.. yup supply drops alot when menses coming (from like 200ml/ 3hour to 120ml/ 3hour) and baby gets fussy..
my menses just settled in :( last week, i started to feel different - ovaluating. not sure why - i kind of feel disappointed. stupid feeling right?

i think my main concern is my supply will fall like what u guys mentioned.

i siao hor - very paranoid....:err: