Breast Milk and or Formula Milk

Eliza

Hi all, gave birth to my son six weeks ago. My BM still not flowing as I wanted and I have to supplement with FM after every BM feed. Talk to my lactation consultant and she say this cannot be. However, she says if the flow doesn't come in six to eight weeks after giving birth.. then I will have to decide. I am going to give BM to my boy at least until two months if it means that I have to supplement FM every time after BM. But there is this guilt that I am depriving him of the precious BM. What should I do? Continue to give BM supplement with FM after eight weeks or just to give FM directly after eight weeks? Tried everything to increase BM already (papaya fish soup/ fish oil/ lactation milk/ fenugreek).

J

justforgags

hi, im not a mummy yet but for wat i've seen thru experiences of my closest cousins 1 of them dun hv BM at all aft birth n she got very bad engorgement n down with high fever bcz of tat. My aunt says mebbe its due to stress tat e BM wont come out .. End up her DS doesnt got a single sip of her BM. Partly also bcz she's a first time mummy n she got hard time handling it as she's afraid to carry the bb too much as she says tat bb looks fragile n afraid she might drop dem n she got a terrible labour.. So for tis first time mummy alot of terrible thing is running in her mind so i tink tat affects her BM not wanting to come out.. So bb is now on FM, NAN.. The otr cousin i have, she's very relax as she got a very supportive hubby n inlaw so on full BF.. I tink it shud be all in our mind tat play apart..

yennee76

Hi all, gave birth to my son six weeks ago. My BM still not flowing as I wanted and I have to supplement with FM after every BM feed. Talk to my lactation consultant and she say this cannot be. However, she says if the flow doesn't come in six to eight weeks after giving birth.. then I will have to decide. I am going to give BM to my boy at least until two months if it means that I have to supplement FM every time after BM. But there is this guilt that I am depriving him of the precious BM. What should I do? Continue to give BM supplement with FM after eight weeks or just to give FM directly after eight weeks? Tried everything to increase BM already (papaya fish soup/ fish oil/ lactation milk/ fenugreek).
Hi Eliza, am not able to latch on my girl since birth... hence supply has always not been able to meet demand. I have to express out every few hours and keep in the fridge. During the day, I will feed my girl BM, and at night formula (Mamex gold). Dun worry lah... although it's recommended to give baby 100% breastmilk in the first 6 mths... but if not able to do so, baby will still grow to be healthy. There are many mummies out here (I think) have been giving partial BM and partial FM, and their babies are happy and growing well. For me, I was feeling bad initially for not able to give her 100% BM... but subsequently (with some sharing from other mothers), I accept it and now I have other things to worry/be troubled about (e.g. baby not sleeping at night = mummy not sleeping)....

baby had breast milk since day one
but like u, somehow baby is not contented...so i started using formula milk for night so that he sleeps longer....

as for the breast milk cos my flow is slow...so i pump out, and accumulate then i make them into 70ml bottles for each meal..

baby is only a week old

he is still able to latch on when i want him to

but really painful for the nipples

CanCanMum

yes u should continue BM + FM. As long as there is BM in their diet its considered good (has antibodies), doesnt have to be fully breastfeed if there is insufficient supply. FM has its benefits as well.

will be best if u hang on to breastfeeding for at least 6 months.

sleepymama

Hi Eliza
Keep trying ok, dun give up. A little BM is better than none. Have you tried pumping? That may help stimulate more milk production if you think it's not producing enough. Also to note, it takes 6-8 wks for our body to regulate supply so it may seem insufficient during the first few wks. The best way to stimulate milk production in the early weeks is by latching baby on! Baby's latch-on will 'tell' our brains to produce the hormone needed for milk production. The second stage after milk is regulated is through regular expressing or latching on by baby to keep up milk production. Demand = supply.

Hi Juzforgags
Your cousin - she certainly HAD bm for baby, if she didn't, she wouldn't have had engorgement at all. Stress could be a reason that prevented her from breastfeeding successfully. Did she approach a Lactation Consultant for help? An LC could teach a new mommy how to latch baby on correctly and how to massage to help with milk flow.

Hi obscurestloh
The nipples should NOT feel painful at all if the latch is correct.
Some useful info here: kellymom.com :: Newman :: Breastfeeding—Starting Out Right

:D

alexia

Hi Eliza...me too having the same problem like yours...bb now approaching 8 weeks but i am still unable to provide her enough BM..so sad and disappointed..tried all the means too but still the result is not satisfying and it seems getting lesser :(

BbpHir3

dun worry lahz.. my DD oso on partial BM + partial FM since day 1 until bout when she only 2 weeks.. she's in the pink of health.. at 3 mth old, she now snoring happily beside mi.. so noisy.. hahaha... so dun need to worry de.. if have den good lohz.. dun have oso nvm de mahz.. now FM selection so wide.. dun need worry tat our lil ones is deprive of impt needs.. i have since stopped BM long ago .. cuz i got thyroid prob.. although not hereditary n docs oso sae wun affect DD, i still stop.. cuz when DD 1 week old liaoz, her thyroid function test result still abnormal.. + she need to go for regular blood test until she 1 month old.. see she kena poke n squeeze for the blood to come out, i heart pain siaz.. on her small lil hand lehz.. end of the day still got blue black somemore.. =( ..

so dun need worry de lahz..:tlaugh:

sleepymama, his latch was correct, but poor me got sensitive nips so i called up lactation nurse...suggested that i change position and for the time being bottle feed

i realised after bottle feed. bb knows how to open mouth bigger which helps alot

CDL

Hi, like the other mummies, I wanted to encourage you not to give up trying to express. Even if it is a few drops, those drops contain precious antibodies that will do wonders for your baby. It is good that you are taking papaya soup. Make sure that you have 8-10 glasses of liquids. Rest well. Try not to get angry, upset, worried or emotional. Even being worried about your milk supply will affect it adversersely.

In the meantime, give your baby FM and be assured that you are giving your baby the best that you can give him in the circumstances.

adoncia

i think it's pretty common for mummmies to feed their baby with partial BM and FM. so just feed as long as you have some BM? or once you have, save them aside and accumulate, if your baby is not milk time yet...

jojoki

i have loads of milk... but i still give fm .. when i'm really too tired... or need to sleep a little longer... i think both has its own benefit. I think as long as mummy tried her best thats good enough. Happy parenting!

Ottermum

Hi, like the other mummies, I wanted to encourage you not to give up trying to express. Even if it is a few drops, those drops contain precious antibodies that will do wonders for your baby. It is good that you are taking papaya soup. Make sure that you have 8-10 glasses of liquids. Rest well. Try not to get angry, upset, worried or emotional. Even being worried about your milk supply will affect it adversersely.

In the meantime, give your baby FM and be assured that you are giving your baby the best that you can give him in the circumstances.
Hi Eliza n Alexia

try pumping out your milk every 2 hrs even if the result's disappointing...think it helps to increase your flow...

also drink lots of liquid n soups...

try not to stress yourself ok...in the end if you wanna give up, don't be guilty about it you are not alone...i only gave DS 3 weeks BM also!

can try NAN 1 it's has the closest taste as BM...

Good luck!!

alexia

Hi Ottermum,

Thanks alot for your encouragement...will still continue pumping the BM until it totally dry up..i tried giving her the NAN however she does not like it :( currently she is on Friso 1 :)

Ottermum

Alexia...

think as long as you continue pumping your breasts will still produce milk...maybe very little...

when i decided to stop i stopped pumping...left my breasts to engorge (but only little milk so not so painful)

then the milk stopped gradually... so if you wanna increase the flow pump more frequently n drink lots of liquids n soups...

just FYI :001_302:

CanCanMum

according to the nurses, baby after delivery still has nutrients stored inside their body so no need to feed them immediately....

but straight after delivery u shd have some colostrum....and nurse will bring bb to u to suckle.

mine BM came in only after 7 days.....

so i had mixed FM + BM.

cyssie

Hi all, gave birth to my son six weeks ago. My breast milk still not flowing as I wanted and I have to supplement with FM after every breast milk feed. Talk to my lactation consultant and she say this cannot be. However, she says if the flow doesn't come in six to eight weeks after giving birth.. then I will have to decide. I am going to give breast milk to my boy at least until two months if it means that I have to supplement FM every time after breast milk. But there is this guilt that I am depriving him of the precious breast milk. What should I do? Continue to give breast milk supplement with FM after eight weeks or just to give FM directly after eight weeks? Tried everything to increase breast milk already (papaya fish soup/ fish oil/ lactation milk/ fenugreek).
Hi Eliza,

i was also having the same problem as you during the first months after my baby was born. I also had posted quite a lot a frustrated and anxious posts in mummy sg at that time. Hehe. Also i went to read taiwanese mummy forums and found two of the following very useful after i tried:

1. Goat's rue.
It is said to be the most powerful supplement you can take to increase your milk supply. It worded better than fenugreek for me. THe down side of it is that you have to avoid drinking water 20 mins before and after you take it. YOu can find this supplement in Thomson medical pharmacy or simply just google it to see where else got sell this product.

2. malt drink.
It is non-alchohol drink but similar to beer. It is only one procedure away from being a beer. I searched for this so hard and finally found only 1 place selling it in singapore which is near china town. It is a german restaurant+grocery store. The owner told me that in germany almost everyone drinks it. It gives you energy and boosts milk supply for breast-feeding mothers. PM me if you want the exact address and phone number.

I know exactly how you feel as I went through exactly the same. I have tried so many things including durian, fish soup, fenugreek and everything else. Just hang in there and dont't give up. My milk supply finally stablised when my baby was 3 months old. All the way i had been giving him both breast milk & FM and dont't feel bad about it. According to my gyane, even a drop is better than nothing. Just relax yourself and dont't get too anxious about this.

Last edited:

joopjoop

Eh...Got a question to ask, does any mummies here take food that help increase the breast milk even before they give birth?