Breast Pump Comparison : Medela, Avent, or Ameda?

honeystory

Hello ladies! I'm doing some research on breast pumps and am overwhelmed with the info out there.

For a start, my requirements are :
1) portable pump to bring to office-home
2) preferably dual pump to save time as need to pump during working hours
3) easy to assemble/clean/replace parts

I'm not sure if I considered everything.. but this is all i can think of now.

There's a lot of reviews out there on Medela and Avent, but not much on Ameda, despite Ameda being cheaper..
OK so i did some comparisons, and these are some 'quirks' that made me lean on one or the other.. if you have anything to add, please let me know!

[you]Medela
[/you]-Expensive
-The tubing is hard to clean, and might get mouldy over time
-Medela bottles have smaller opening.. harder to clean the bottles
-Popular choice, especially the Medela Freestyle for working mums

[you]Avent[/you]
-Expensive

[you]Ameda
[/you]- suction not as strong as medela, but good enough
- least expensive

I think I would have to consider value for money as well, for e.g. cost of accessories like storage bags/bottles.. but dont't have much information on that yet. If you do, please share as well!

I'm leaning towards Avent, and Ameda for the price, if only i can find more info on it!

Thank you all :001_302:
I am a satisfied user of Avent pumps. I am a working mum too, and looks like Avent pumps have met your requirements.

1) portable pump to bring to office-home:- it is light to bring around, but a better tip to share is to keep the double pump in the office & use manual pumps at home for morning pumping/occasional pumping.
2) preferably dual pump to save time as need to pump during working hours:- very important to save time! i spent about 20 mins per pumping session (inclusive of pumping & cleaning) twice a day at work.
3) easy to assemble/clean/replace parts: assembling Avent parts is intuitive & it is very easy to clean. It took me <5 mins to clean the parts after each pumping session.

I have also shared more on my personal reviews here.

honeystory

i am a satisfied user of Avent. it has good suction power & light weight too. looks to satisfy all your 3 requirements. the only downside is that it doesnt operate with batteries. so far i leave my double pump in the office and use the manual pump at home for morning pumping & other occasional pumping session.

hi mummies.. thanks for the many feedback.. i finally got the PISA. it's a US set so i got it at the same price as the Avent. cross fingers and toes that it works for me!

i think both Avent and Medela are good, with different people swearing by each. haha. i decided to stop deliberating and just pick one, so both the PISA and Avent fit my price range... (Freestyle is crazy ex la and from what the promoters tell me, the specs is about the same as PISA, except it's handsfree and has LCD display and rechargeable battery ).
And then eventually i went with Medela instead of Avent. Now can only hope for the best!

yu021984

[h=2]Breast Pump Comparison : Medela, Avent, or Ameda?[/h]
I try Medela. my baby feel comfortable .and so good for her :0

PSunny

The common question among mothers is whether to pump or not to pump. If you’ve decided to pump, you would usually want your baby to benefit from your milk even when you’re not available. This is where a breast pump can be a great help. Yet, first, you must decide what kind of style and models of a breast pump that you want. In general, they fall into 3 main categories, namely:

Manual Breast Pumps

• Hand-operated, it is suitable for infrequent usage.
  • Compact and light, it is a life-saver for short and last-minute trips.

Electric or Battery-Powered Breast Pumps

• If you stay back at work for long periods of time, this pump can withstand the bulk of your pumping.
  • A popular choice with full-time working moms.
  • Convenient but more expensive, this would require a bigger bag to store all the parts.
  • Most pumps nowadays come with attractive carrying cases that can be used long after you’ve stopped pumping.
  • Prices range between $200 and $350 and most pumps come with a one year warranty.

Food-Powered Breast Pump

• Foot-powered breast pumps combine manual and electric breast pumps ground together.

While a number of women use both, you may strongly prefer one over the other. As such, it is not necessary to buy both kinds of pumps. The main point is to find a pump that best fits your needs, lifestyle and budget – that will be your best breast pump.

Regardless of which pump you pick, it is a good idea to have it ready to use well before you return to work or leave your baby with a sitter. Since many babies will refuse a bottle offered later on, it is best to start pumping and introduce a bottle as soon as breastfeeding is established, when your baby is just 3 or 4 weeks old. That way, you can slowly ease your baby into accepting the bottle when you have returned to work.

See more here: Best Breast Pump Reviews

Zoey Kasey

I used the Medela PISA for 6 months and then switched to the freestyle. The only reason was the 'freedom' the freestyle gave me. I could cook and clean the house (upright of course) without being chained. Both have their pros and cons, for example, the freestyle battery could be improved, New mummies may also want to check out my site on breastpump comparisons before making a decision :). Factors to consider include lifestyle needs like whether you need a portable set, how often you pump etc. :)

- Zoey