Breast pumps & recommendations

edie

I was also first one in my family to have a baby, and wanted to BF.

When my mom knew that I was still BFing into the 2nd month, she actually told me to stop BFing. Not sure what her reason was but when she saw that my daughter was growing well and saw me BFing my baby, she was quite "impressed".

She didn't managed to BF any of us, so I think it's sort of an achievement for her that her daughter can BF. lol
Okay, I hope my CL will be the encouraging one and that I can show my mom that I can BF.

camom

Okay, I hope my CL will be the encouraging one and that I can show my mom that I can BF.
I think you need to be very firm with the CL.. if you read the comments from the mommies in the confinement forum, you'll realised that almost all the CLs want you to bottle feed FM. Easier for them to take care, I guess.

Take care and jia you mommy!

PinkDiamonds

I think you need to be very firm with the CL.. if you read the comments from the mommies in the confinement forum, you'll realised that almost all the CLs want you to bottle feed FM. Easier for them to take care, I guess.

Take care and jia you mommy!
Not only CLs, during the first 2 weeks of my confinement my mom helped me. When I take my nap I had to set alarm clock so that I will wake up before my daughter's next feeding, if not my mother will feed FM, with the intention of letting me rest longer. I had to keep reminding her to wake me up for my daughter's feed.

mrsmorgan

my cousin just passed me her medela mini electric pump n i find that it's noisy! wonder if i can pump at night without waking hubs n bb up! :err:

btw, do i need to bring e pump to e hospital?

camom

my cousin just passed me her medela mini electric pump n i find that it's noisy! wonder if i can pump at night without waking hubs n baby up! :err:

btw, do i need to bring e pump to e hospital?
I didn't but you have inverted nipples right? Maybe just bring along in case you need it to draw your nipples out while the LC is not able to attend to you yet.

ping26

I didn't but you have inverted nipples right? Maybe just bring along in case you need it to draw your nipples out while the LC is not able to attend to you yet.
I think it's a good idea. But pls bring along a small basin & sterilising tablets. In Mt A, nurses don't do sterilising of breast pump parts. No need to refrigerate cos there's very little colostrum. just ask nurses to spoon feed baby if u can get anything out.

BTW I have a rant. I won't advise anyone to buy Medela Pump In Style. While it's a good pump, if it does break down, the Spore agent usu keeps VERY low stocks of parts.

I have to wait 1.5 mth for diaphragm membrane! And it's not covered under local warranty?! I may have to pay another $100 for labour & part! At $700, I can buy 2-3 units of another breastpump brand!!!

By April my milk will be dry. cos my baby's already 10 mth & supply is already dropping. (Baby refuses to latch after ill-informed advice of GP rgd H1N1.)

(after trying to repair the tear with scotchtape & cut plastic bag, I realised that the membrane which looks like a rubber cap, is semi-permeable, ie. water & air molecules can really enter the pump. So it's really not advisable to share pumps, esp w strangers.)

allycat

Actually u might want to explore this new pump in the market "UniMOM". I tried the model "Forte" (dual electric pump) at Mt A today, seems quite good to me and its only selling at $239 at Tom & Stephanie. I think its one of the cheapest in the market. The other model "Allegro" is selling at $179 according to the volunteer at BF Support Group. Didnt get to try this one as it's only available at BF Support Group. You might want to take a look at Home for more information. You can also try out various pumps at BF Support Group but will need to make a appointment first.

allycat

I don't think you need to see a LC now unless you have inverted nipples.

If you are giving birth at Mt A, the LC will visit you at least once. The service is free (or at least I think it's part of package). The LC does not work weekends, so if you can deliver during weekdays :err:, you may see get to see her 2-3x.

Try to see LC as often as possible before discharge.

My family females didn't bf much due to mainly to low pain tolerance. I think many 1st-time mummies have low milk in 1st few weeks. On hindsight, I think I should have just popped a few panadol to get supply up.
Mt A chagres $53.50 for LC for each consultation once you have been discharged. But the price is worth it!!

fruityzee

Dear mummies, just to check with you all something regarding breastfeeding.. I read that some of u mentioned BM doesn't come in so fast right? Won't bb get very hungry if she doesn't get enough milk during each feed?

If we are BFing, do we feed one breast at a time or switch between both breasts? If I am only feeding on one breast per feed, do I need to pump out the milk on the other breast? Will it be "unbalanced"?

If I intend to TBF & need to pump when i am working, is it gd enough to get a single electric pump? Assuming I can only afford to pump 15-20mins during working hours. Because dual electric pumps are really quite expensive. Not sure if it is a need to get them.

Last edited:

PinkDiamonds

Dear mummies, just to check with you all something regarding breastfeeding.. I read that some of you mentioned breast milk doesn't come in so fast right? Won't baby get very hungry if she doesn't get enough milk during each feed?

If we are BFing, do we feed one breast at a time or switch between both breasts? If I am only feeding on one breast per feed, do I need to pump out the milk on the other breast? Will it be "unbalanced"?

If I intend to TBF & need to pump when i am working, is it good enough to get a single electric pump? Assuming I can only afford to pump 15-20mins during working hours. Because dual electric pumps are really quite expensive. Not sure if it is a need to get them.

In the first few days, even during your pregnancy, you will produce colostrum. As long as you keep on latching and feeding on demand, milk will come in about 3-5days. Therefore, don't worry, baby will be drinking your milk and won't starve. Also, there is "reserves" in the baby's body designed to survive for the first few days, so it's okay if you have very little milk.

You are advised to feed no longer than 15-20min on each breast. Thus, u will need to feed on 1 side for 15min, then switch to the other side. If necessary, you can switch back again, until your baby is satisfied. As your milk comes in, you may find that your baby is satisfied after feeding on 1 breast. When this happens, you'll need to pump out the milk from the other breast that wasn't fed on. This ensures that both sides have supplies & u won't feel lopsided.

For mums who are intending to pump at work, it's advised to invest in a good dual pump. This way, you can pump both sides and save half the time. If you get a single pump, you will need to pump 15 on 1 side, and 15 on the other. If you use a dual pump, you pump for 15min total. More efficient. :)

There are mummies letting go of their pre-loved pumps. So you may want to check it out for good deals if u don't want to buy a new one. If u r concerned with hygiene, u can purchase ur own set of accessories. However, do note that not all the pumps are proven safe for sharing. But based on my experience, most mummies usually don't mind.

Hope this helps!

camom

Dear mummies, just to check with you all something regarding breastfeeding.. I read that some of you mentioned breast milk doesn't come in so fast right? Won't baby get very hungry if she doesn't get enough milk during each feed?

If I intend to TBF & need to pump when i am working, is it good enough to get a single electric pump? Assuming I can only afford to pump 15-20mins during working hours. Because dual electric pumps are really quite expensive. Not sure if it is a need to get them.
BB is actually born with some brown fat reserves that bb can tap on in the 1st few days of life. Also, bb's tummy is very very small when newborn. Before mummy's milk comes in, mummy exudes colostrum for bb.

I don't switch. 1 breast is more than enough for my bb per session. I will alternate at each session, i.e. 1st session, drink from left breast, 2nd session drink from right, and so on. If bb wants more like during growth spurt, I will offer the fuller size 1st, then switch to the other when drained. I didn't pump inititally, only in the last mth of maternity leave to build up my stash.

linalee

Hi ladies,

I've e Ameda Purely Yours (also known as Lactaline in sg) breast pump for sale... Purchased from US on Oct 09... dear daughter was born on 22nd Nov 09... Used for 2mths and stopped pumping since then...

Bought at S$250 + S$30 (for e custom breast flanges XL & XXL)... intending to sell @ S$180 (negotiable) for e pump n e custom breast flanges...

Ameda Purely Yours pump:
- double pumping kit
- two BPA free bottles with lids (used bottles only, lids un-used)
- two extra valves (un-used)

Custom Breast Flanges
- 2 sizes (XL & XXL - only used XXL flanges)

* you wun need to purchase a converter (diff voltage), i'll incl the converter (bought at S$10+) for e purchase.

Pls PM me for more info or post a msg for more info... *CHEERS*