Breast Pumps to recommend?

babylegs

Hi mummies,

Im looking at the Medela website, its have a large range of different electric pumps; i.e. Medela Free style, Mini electric & etc. How do i know which is better in terms of its functionality & practicalilty?
Hi Mummypooh,

It really depends on your needs. if you only need to pump from time to time and not regularly, then a manual pump would suffice. Medela actually has a section: Which Breast Pump is Right For You? - Medela to help you with the selection.

BUT if you need to pump regularly and need the breast pumps to increase your milk supply, then you need the 2phase breastpumps. (stimulation followed by letdown, normal pumps do not the the stimulation phase)

there are many technical aspects to a breastpump and i do not want to bore you but one good website to read reviews on different breastpumps is amazon.com.

Hope this infor helps.

stonston

> StonSton, heard drink lots of water will have tummy? How fast you slim down on your tummy area?

I did not have any tummy at all at around 3-4weels. After my malay massage ended, my tummy skin was abit loose but within 2 weeks it flattened already.

> StonSton, May i know does your milk gradually increase to feed your baby? Any formula top up? For mine, i stop breastfeeding at 4 mths cos really not much milk. First few days i try very hard to pump and can only manage to get 20ml, slowly increase to 70ml..During my confinment days, i got confinment nanny, eats lots of fish, fish soup etc, even consume medicine to increase my milk but the most i can pump out is 160ml (3 hours after feeding my baby)...My hubby is very supportive towards breastfeeding, he has been there to encourage me and im so persistent until milk flow is lesser...Will keep trying during my 2nd pregnancy...
I did not give my boy formula milk until he was 15mths old (partial EBM & FM).

During confinement you can get 160ml is VERY GOOD already. During my confinement (ard 1mth old) max I can get at each pump was only 100ml. It was only after that then slowly start to increase very fast when I started taking alot of fenugreek.

Of cos it will slowly increase because your baby was still small, dunnid so much milk. It'll only increase as baby's needs increase. But by pumping frequently, you are tricking your body into believing that your baby needs more, so it'll produce more.

It was only until he was ard 2mths old then the milk supply was more established and at tt time I could pump around 200-300ml per session. Then around 6mths old, I could pump 200-300ml per breast per session. Then it started to decrease from there when he started solid food, but I continued to pump & store in freezer. When I stopped pumping at 1yo, I still have enough frozen EBM to last time for 1/2 year!

during your confinement, must drink loads of water! honestly, i onli drank 1/3 cup of red date tea throughout my whole confinement. makes me more thirsty and frustrated so i drank warm water during confinement. i drank alot of water, every 1/2 hour i force myself to drink water. and every meal i eat fish. fried fish, baked fish, steam fish, fish soup, etc etc!

> StonSton, heard drink lots of water will have tummy? How fast you slim down on your tummy area?

and you must be prepared to pump and pump and pump like a cow. my boy did not know how to latch at first, so i pump every 1-2hours to keep the flow coming. at first very discouraged cos both breasts add together, onli 20-30ml. then my husband keep telling me it's ok, just give wotever i have. and my mum say keep pumping, maybe will have more. so i pump and pump and pump while watching tv, while playing laptop, while playing with baby :) like cow like that :)

> StonSton, May i know does your milk gradually increase to feed your baby? Any formula top up? For mine, i stop breastfeeding at 4 mths cos really not much milk. First few days i try very hard to pump and can only manage to get 20ml, slowly increase to 70ml..During my confinment days, i got confinment nanny, eats lots of fish, fish soup etc, even consume medicine to increase my milk but the most i can pump out is 160ml (3 hours after feeding my baby)...My hubby is very supportive towards breastfeeding, he has been there to encourage me and im so persistent until milk flow is lesser...Will keep trying during my 2nd pregnancy...

Shulyn, actually is all in the brain.. thats wat the nurse taught when i 1st gave birth.. 1st few day, i also like u.. so little.. i feel so stress.. but the nurse ask me relax.. got milk or not, every 3 hrs just pump.. gradually after a week reali alot of milk.. 3 hrs up, the milk will ownself flow out de.. Like u, i drank water also.. cannot tahan the red date.. so heaty leh.. my lips crack.. it will not make our tummy big de.. BF slim v fast de.. slimmer than u b4 birth.. Drink water to flush out the toxin.. thats wat doc says also.. just drink many soup, eat fish meat and vege. Can skip the rice i think. You know the jiang yu zai (little fish), that 1 also can increase milk flow de. Jiayou oo..