BreastFeed

sharonyi66

as soon as baby is out to sitmulate your breast...

Normally the nurse/gynae will ask if you wanna breastfeed now (after they clean baby up) or later (after u r back into your ward). mostly would advise to bf asap but it also depends on yr ownself.

I only bf the 3rd day and i was so heavily engorged till breast infection so, my advise to u is to bf asap.

angelwendy

u r normal delivery or c sect? because for normal delivery.. is recommend that u BF ur baby within 1 hour of birth... that is because u can bond with ur baby... & also start to let baby suck to have milk... as for c sect i'm not sure.. think only on second day then can... for myself is normal delivery.. so i BF my baby within 1 hour when i'm still in the delivery room.. haha...

candy_ian

U can bf your baby almost immediately. I went thru c section via epidual n I bf my son the min they were done cleaning him up..

jas2909

haha.. I got something silly to ask.. will there really be something flowing out from the beast as soon as the baby is out? the nurses doesn't take too long to clean baby after birth right.. so when they pass you the baby for BF-ing.. can the body produce colostrum within the short timing such that baby will get to feed on it as soon as latched on? Will there be time which nothing come out at all?

candy_ian

There may or may not b colostrum during that short period of time after delivery but it is more to stimulate the breast to start working..

angelwendy

haha.. I got something silly to ask.. will there really be something flowing out from the beast as soon as the baby is out? the nurses doesn't take too long to clean baby after birth right.. so when they pass you the baby for BF-ing.. can the body produce colostrum within the short timing such that baby will get to feed on it as soon as latched on? Will there be time which nothing come out at all?

They might have & also might not have.. even if dont have.. u still gotta let baby suck to have milk...

jas2909

So baby can be drinking "air" if there isn't any production har? How the nurse know whether is the baby full from the 1st latch in the delivery ward? The nurse can't see whether you have anything flowing out for the baby right? haha.. Baby will keep crying if not full?

angelwendy

The first 3 days.. baby will not feel hungry at all.. so they r not crying for milk actually... latch on will be about 15 min to 30 min on the first time... then u gotta drink more water & also eat more soup & fish to have milk...

apollo

So baby can be drinking "air" if there isn't any production har? How the nurse know whether is the baby full from the 1st latch in the delivery ward? The nurse can't see whether you have anything flowing out for the baby right? haha.. Baby will keep crying if not full?
hw can be the baby 'drinking the air' when he is sucking ur boobs? ur boobs supply milk, not air.. as long as he sucks, the supply will comes in.

cmeilim

i was producing colostrum during my third tri already. i could squeeze out some yellowish, thick liquid when i squeeze my breasts during shower - yea, i was surprised too. i think this happens for many moms too. have a try the next time u take a shower!

for me, i specially requested to my gynae and midwives that i wanted to bf the instant the baby came out, even BEFORE he was carried away to be dried, cleaned up and weighed (these hospital procedures can wait). My boy was rooting and able to suckle from the start. we let him suckle for a good 10-15 minutes while my gynae delivered the placenta, waited till the umbilical cord had stopped pumping before getting my hubby to cut it, and until the gynae felt baby should get a little warmed up (as the delivery ward was very cold).

The earlier breastfeeding from the breasts start, the easier it is to capitalise on the natural, very strong rooting and suckling instinct of newborns.

cmeilim

we will produce only abt a spoonful (a few ml) of colostrum, and believe it or not, that is enough for newborns because they are born with reserves to last them for the first 3-5 days while waiting for the milk supply to come in. that is the miracle of nature and God's creation. =)

as for sucking in air, when the baby does a correct latch onto the breast, essentially it will create a vacuum that will help it to draw milk out of your breast. so not possible to suck in air at the same time, unless the latch is broken or not perfect/complete. (do read up more about what makes a good latch if u r not sure, as this is key to successful breastfeeding).

newborns cry for many reasons - wet/soiled diapers, too warm/cold temperature, too noisy, colicky, just overall strangeness of life outside of the womb - not necessarily due to hunger. so as new moms, we hv to learn to identify the different cries for different reasons, watch their cues closely and basically run thru the checklist of 'discomforts' which can cause them to cry.

TANZHENZHI

For me after i gave birth my son, the nurse clean up my son then push him straight to my breast and ask me bf him haha but no milk comes out. I only start BFing him the 3rd day when we went home. Before that i bottle-feed him. Mummy Cemilim, information clear. Thanks for sharing. I'll try it when I'm pregnant with my 2nd one. hee hee.. :001_302:

cmeilim

For me after i gave birth my son, the nurse clean up my son then push him straight to my breast and ask me bf him haha but no milk comes out. I only start BFing him the 3rd day when we went home. Before that i bottle-feed him. Mummy Cemilim, information clear. Thanks for sharing. I'll try it when I'm pregnant with my 2nd one. hee hee.. :001_302:

my pleasure, zhenzhi. wishing us both good luck with striking our #2!! haha!!

xue

we will produce only about a spoonful (a few ml) of colostrum, and believe it or not, that is enough for newborns because they are born with reserves to last them for the first 3-5 days while waiting for the milk supply to come in. that is the miracle of nature and God's creation. =)

as for sucking in air, when the baby does a correct latch onto the breast, essentially it will create a vacuum that will help it to draw milk out of your breast. so not possible to suck in air at the same time, unless the latch is broken or not perfect/complete. (do read up more about what makes a good latch if you r not sure, as this is key to successful breastfeeding).

newborns cry for many reasons - wet/soiled diapers, too warm/cold temperature, too noisy, colicky, just overall strangeness of life outside of the womb - not necessarily due to hunger. so as new moms, we have to learn to identify the different cries for different reasons, watch their cues closely and basically run thru the checklist of 'discomforts' which can cause them to cry.
My doc also told me that my baby has enough food in her stomach to last her for 5 days!! so i did not supplement her with any fm even though i had no milk on the first few days but the stupid nurse went to feed her on the day i gave birth even though i told her i wanna full bf!!