caesarean birth..any mommies have any experience to share?

maiz

Hi hi

Just wondering if any mommies who went thru c-section birth could share their experience?

I have a low lying placenta and may need to opt for c-section instead of natural birth althou i much pref natural birth but not up to me...must do what is safe for bb.

wld greatly appreciate if u cld share ur experiences with me!

thanks in advance!

nsync_su

Hi hi

Just wondering if any mommies who went thru c-section birth could share their experience?

I have a low lying placenta and may need to opt for c-section instead of natural birth althou i much pref natural birth but not up to me...must do what is safe for baby.

wld greatly appreciate if you cld share your experiences with me!

thanks in advance!
Hello...
I went thru c-section in 2008 in kkh. Was in labour for 24hrs but cervix still didnt dilated so doc advised me for c-section. Basically u wun feel anything and u'll be awake to "see" the process. Well, u'll be covered by the cloth infront of u but u can feel movements yet not painful at all. For me, i took epidural so i was numb from chest to my legs.

Abt ur low-lying placenta... currently my doc said im having tat too for my second baby. It scares me alot. I really wanna do normal birth. Doc said have to wait till im 34 weeks to know if my placenta goes up or not. But juz a question, does ur tumy always feels pain? Im having pains on my right side of my tummy and making me very giddy and feels like fainting.

maiz

Hello...
I went thru c-section in 2008 in Kandang Kerbau Hospital. Was in labour for 24hrs but cervix still didnt dilated so doc advised me for c-section. Basically you wun feel anything and you'll be awake to "see" the process. Well, you'll be covered by the cloth infront of you but you can feel movements yet not painful at all. For me, i took epidural so i was numb from chest to my legs.

about your low-lying placenta... currently my doc said im having that too for my second baby. It scares me alot. I really wanna do normal birth. Doc said have to wait till im 34 weeks to know if my placenta goes up or not. But just a question, does your tumy always feels pain? Im having pains on my right side of my tummy and making me very giddy and feels like fainting.
Hihi..tks for sharing ur experience with me...did your wound take long to heal after the c-sec? im hoping to do those malay massage to help tighten the tummy after birth and it seems like most wld only rec doing those massage about 2-4wks after the op...did u have the post-natal massage?

yea it scared me too when doc first told me that i have a low-lying placenta..he was also hoping it wld move up but im now 31wks and just went for check up today and it still hadnt move. so my gynae said will decide at the next check up whh will be when im 33wks to know if im having natural or c-sec. mine dun always feel pain but i'll get moments where i feel its super heavy arnd lower ab and like its pressing on s'thing and i cant breathe properly for a while but it passes quite quickly. it usually happens when my bladder is full so im not sure if that affects it. have u asked ur gynae if ur symptom is related to ur placenta? funny thing is bb is now head down and facing inwards..like he's ready for natural birth but might not be able to do that..poor bb hehe.

nsync_su

Hihi..thanks for sharing your experience with me...did your wound take long to heal after the c-sec? im hoping to do those malay massage to help tighten the tummy after birth and it seems like most wld only rec doing those massage about 2-4wks after the op...did you have the post-natal massage?

yea it scared me too when doc first told me that i have a low-lying placenta..he was also hoping it wld move up but im now 31wks and just went for check up today and it still hadnt move. so my gynae said will decide at the next check up whh will be when im 33wks to know if im having natural or c-sec. mine dont always feel pain but i'll get moments where i feel its super heavy arnd lower ab and like its pressing on s'thing and i cant breathe properly for a while but it passes quite quickly. it usually happens when my bladder is full so im not sure if that affects it. have you asked your gynae if your symptom is related to your placenta? funny thing is baby is now head down and facing inwards..like he's ready for natural birth but might not be able to do that..poor baby hehe.
Abt post-natal massage.. i didnt do it coz alot of ppl said cannot do (sis-in-laws mostly) so i didnt do it. Quite upsetting for listening to them. When asked terapist, she said advisable wait till 4weeks after operation. My wound healed ard a month but for inside, doc will advise wait for a year to have another child.

diymummy

Hihi..thanks for sharing your experience with me...did your wound take long to heal after the c-sec? im hoping to do those malay massage to help tighten the tummy after birth and it seems like most wld only rec doing those massage about 2-4wks after the op...did you have the post-natal massage?

yea it scared me too when doc first told me that i have a low-lying placenta..he was also hoping it wld move up but im now 31wks and just went for check up today and it still hadnt move. so my gynae said will decide at the next check up whh will be when im 33wks to know if im having natural or c-sec. mine dont always feel pain but i'll get moments where i feel its super heavy arnd lower ab and like its pressing on s'thing and i cant breathe properly for a while but it passes quite quickly. it usually happens when my bladder is full so im not sure if that affects it. have you asked your gynae if your symptom is related to your placenta? funny thing is baby is now head down and facing inwards..like he's ready for natural birth but might not be able to do that..poor baby hehe.
I had c-sect in end 2008 for my baby. It was an emergency c-sect at 36 weeks. Was supposed to be due for natural delivery but had to do c-sect due to pre-eclampsia (pregnancy high blood pressure)

After the c-sect, it's pretty painful when you try to walk around. Don't be put off by the pain and not walk around. The wound heals faster when we are slightly mobile. Of course, don't over do the walking and stuff. It's still a surgery afterall.

I didn't do the post-natal massage. Some massage ladies will refuse to do until 1 mth post-c-sect. They can't apply too much pressure at the area around your wound either.

If you're afraid of a big tummy, you can try to get a tummy binder. A tummy binder also helps ease the pain when you're walking around post-c-sect.

camom

I had c-section in 2003 & 2008 for my kids. The 1st was emergency as dilation stalled after 20 hours of labour. For my 2nd one, all 3 gynaes I consulted recommended that I go for elective c-sect directly.

Both times round, I was up and walking the moment they take off the epi drip. The abdominal binder really helped alot, in my case, I didn't take any oral painkillers after the c-sects. Bf was ok cos I could move up and down easily.

If you are asking about the healing of the external cut, it was pretty fast. My gynae took out the stitches abt 1 wk after the c-sect. Both times, the external part healed very nicely. Internally though, I was told by the gynaes that it'll take approx 6 mths to heal totally.

I did the postnatal massage both times after getting the go-ahead from my gynaes. However, extra care must be taken round the c-sect wound area cos it's still healing. I did the abdominal binding as well.

pepperphibs

Hi,i had an emergency c-sect in Oct 2009 after a 10 hr labour as baby was too big and couldn't be pushed out.

Was able to walk about when my gynae took out the drip on the second day.Didn't need any pain killer's either even though my gynae prescribed some coz didn't feel any pain.

I bought the tummy binder which really helped but i also did the Jamu massage on the 2nd week. Ha ha! Most of them will not be willing to do until about a month after your c- sect but i got the go ahead from my gynae when i went to take out my stitches 1 week after delivery. (depends on how well your wound is healing) The massage lady wasn't willing to do for me also but i told her my wound was healing very well so she came to 'take a look' but ended up doing the massage for me!

I was so happy coz alot of people say the massage must do asap ,more effective.

overall, i think the only bad thing about the c- sect was that u really have to watch what u eat during confinement coz of the wound ...and the nagging from my mom coz she was so uptight about the wound.

maiz

thanks mummies...

just wondering where did u get ur tummy binder? would the hospital provide for you? i read somewhere that some hosp do provide the binder for you or do i need to get it myself first? i will be delivering at gleneagles...

diymummy

thanks mummies...

just wondering where did you get your tummy binder? would the hospital provide for you? i read somewhere that some hospital do provide the binder for you or do i need to get it myself first? i will be delivering at gleneagles...
I bought my binder from my gynae. I also delivered at GlenE. GlenE doesn't provide the binder and none of the shops there sells.

maiz

I bought my binder from my gynae. I also delivered at GlenE. GlenE doesn't provide the binder and none of the shops there sells.
Hi diymummy,

thanks i'll check with my gynae once he confirms my c-section.

do you mind if i ask what was ur experience like at glenE for a c-sec?? am a bit anxious cos was hoping for a natural birth but now not sure what to expect with a c-sec....

thanks in advance :)

diymummy

Hi maiz,

My experience at GlenE wasn't very good. But other people's experience from GlenE was pretty good. I think I was just pretty unlucky to give birth near the festive period (christmas/new year) so they were quite shorthanded.

When is your c-sect?

maiz

Hi maiz,

My experience at GlenE wasn't very good. But other people's experience from GlenE was pretty good. I think I was just pretty unlucky to give birth near the festive period (christmas/new year) so they were quite shorthanded.

When is your c-sect?
*gulp* :embarrassed: huh really ah? i was really hope that my experience wont be bad leh... already very scared and hubby is not in town and may not be for the delivery. im now 31wks so if c-section is confirmed i think it will be done 2 wks before edd which is 25th march so prob early march wld be scheduled for the c-sec? im not really sure yet cos my gynae hasnt confirm so now its like wait and see game.

can i ask why it wasnt good? was it cos they werent as attentive or did they do s'thing?

camom

thanks mummies...

just wondering where did you get your tummy binder? would the hospital provide for you? i read somewhere that some hospital do provide the binder for you or do i need to get it myself first? i will be delivering at gleneagles...
I also delivered at GlenE. 1st time round, my gynae provided as part of his package. 2nd time round, don't have. Need to get my own.

Better to check with your gynae.

maiz

I also delivered at GlenE. 1st time round, my gynae provided as part of his package. 2nd time round, dont't have. Need to get my own.

Better to check with your gynae.
Thanks camom...will check with my gynae but think it might not be included in my package thou ..... but will still check with him.

camom

Thanks camom...will check with my gynae but think it might not be included in my package thou ..... but will still check with him.
No problem.

You know that you need to fast for approx 10 hours before c-sect right? If possible, choose early morning slots for the c-sect, not so taxing cos you can still take your dinner before you sleep and then when you wake up the next day, it's almost time for them to prep you for the op.

izanyzam

I had emergency c-sect in Nov 2009..Was supposed to be induced but baby decided to come out earlier on his own..Had to do c-sect because after my water broke,baby pooed while still inside and his heartbeat deteriorated with every contraction.

I had the epidural bcoz i wanted hubby to be in the operating theater with me.Didnt feel any pain when they started the op.Only felt them pushing my abdomen.But once baby about to come out,i could feel a LOT of pressure in my lower abdomen.After they wipe my baby,the nurse placed him on my chest for a while before taking him away.I cant really remember how long it was but i think the whole op lasted about one hour.The most time was spent on stitching me up.

I wasnt allowed to eat anything after the op as they had me on drips for the painkiller.Only allowed sips of water.I had my first meal the following morning.And BOY that was the best breakfast ive ever had in my life..!! Hahahah..

The next day,i was told to get up and walk around.The first step was UNBEARABLE..I dont mean to scare you but seriously it HURTS..!!! But being mobile is also for your own good,becoz the longer you lie down,the more it will hurt when you wanna get up later.The pain will be more bearable as you move around more.

I didnt use a tummy binder as for me,i found it hurts more when i have it on.Although the outer wound healed after 2 weeks,it took me more than a month to fully heal.You have to remember that they will also stitch up the inner part of your tummy so you will have inner wounds that will take longer to heal.I drank a lot of the black fish with ginseng tonic.Malays call it "Pati Ikan Haruan".The singsehs shops sell it but its better if you can get the fresh fish and cook it.This helps to expel old blood and heals the wound faster.

Please do not carry heavy stuffs at all after your c-sect.And do be careful when getting up from the bed.Use your elbows and arms to push you up and try not to strain your abdomen.

FYI,i gave birth in Thomson..I had a pleasant experience during my stay there..Wish you the best of health for the rest of your pregnancy..!! :001_302:

diymummy

*gulp* :embarrassed: huh really ? i was really hope that my experience wont be bad ... already very scared and hubby is not in town and may not be for the delivery. im now 31wks so if c-section is confirmed i think it will be done 2 wks before edd which is 25th march so prob early march wld be scheduled for the c-sec? im not really sure yet cos my gynae hasnt confirm so now its like wait and see game.

can i ask why it wasnt good? was it cos they werent as attentive or did they do s'thing?
Have you done your pre-admission registration? I didn't do that time yet because mine was emergency c-sect. And they made me go up and down from counter to counter just to get admitted. So angry mann...

That time I specified I wanted to breastfeed my baby but they didn't push my baby in for me to breastfeed. My baby was also very small and skinny, because he was slightly premature, and he was cold in the nursery. His hands and feet were already blue and they didn't tell us to get mittens. It's only when hubby found it strange why they didn't wheel our son in for us to breastfeed so he went to "collect" the baby then saw his hands and feet.

The LC at GlenE, she was terrible. I think they have a few at GlenE but the one I kenna was the lousy one, according to one of the nurses.

When I went home, they lost some of my son's mittens and booties. Tsk.

I gave birth near Christmas/New year time and I was told that they were very short handed. So ok larr.. I think I'm one of the unlucky ones because my friends who delivered there experienced pretty good service. Don't feel shy pressing the nurse call button. Just call them to get whatever you need. Also, ask them to wheel in a breast pump into your room so you can express your milk if you're having trouble latching your baby.

camom

The LC at GlenE, she was terrible. I think they have a few at GlenE but the one I kenna was the lousy one, according to one of the nurses.
OMG... which one was that? I requested for LC thru my gynae but she didn't turn up. Instead the nurses gave me so much help.

diymummy

Hi camom mummy,

I gave birth over the weekend, so the LCs were off duty over the weekend. She only came twice. Once on Friday late afternoon and once on Monday morning before I was discharged. Both sessions were only 15min before she said she has to attend to other people and went off. -.-

The nurses helped me more than the LC, though the nurses were a little rough. Haha.

I think her name was Mia or something like that. She's white, sound German.