Can my baby crawl??????

vinder79

Hiaa all i believe u have already read abt my 2nd son who has duplex kidneys.Now i have a question can my baby who is 8mths crawl like a normal baby??????????He seems to be more reluctant than my elder 1.Currently he can roll to the side,sit up(u have to help him up)and move dragging himself.I have tried to use the walker and he can zoom across the room but he is reluctant to crawl.Any ideas???????????

vinder79

yup i did but he is only in the walker for a short while daily.Am wanting him to crawl as mum said that its a cycle for kids.Like step to step basics and if he misses the step he could grow to be an emotionally unbalanced child like my sis cause she 2 missed that stage.

thepinkdot

well.. then perhaps you should have waited till he show interest in crawling then only introduced the walker?

its hard to teach crawling.. esp if the baby is uninterested and scared "pain".

diymummy

My son used to move dragging himself. Then he went on to crawling and standing up and walking.

Some of my colleague's children never crawled. They just went from flipping to standing then to walking.

Crawling is not a necessary milestone. Instead of looking to whether he crawls, you should consider him wanting to be mobile as a milestone.

Angelmum

Some of my colleague's children never crawled. They just went from flipping to standing then to walking.

Crawling is not a necessary milestone. Instead of looking to whether he crawls, you should consider him wanting to be mobile as a milestone.
Some children skipped crawling. But during my Glen Doman course, I was told crawling & creeping are 'proper procedure' so when u missed these steps, some body co-ordination/balancing will be lacking.

You can try put him tummy down when lying, give him a chance to start with 'snake style'. Put something he likes to reach - motivation. Try not to place him back downwards (lying position) on the mattress. Alternate side ways or tummy down.

What angelmum says is true. Skipping crawling does have an impact on the child's development. This is not so apparent on 'normal' kids, as they are able to compensate for it, so it does not seem so obvious, nor disabling.

However, when you have a special needs kid, these seemingly small aberrations does have a significant consequence in the child's overall development.

Go on all fours, and teach your child to crawl!

ping26

What angelmum says is true. Skipping crawling does have an impact on the child's development. This is not so apparent on 'normal' kids, as they are able to compensate for it, so it does not seem so obvious, nor disabling.

However, when you have a special needs kid, these seemingly small aberrations does have a significant consequence in the child's overall development.

Midline movements help integrate binocular vision, binaural hearing, and the left and right sides of the brain.

Even though some children skip the crawling stage, they are able to perform other midline activities. eg they have no problems reaching out to grab things on left side using right hand, can transfer objects from left to right hands/sides of body/visual fields. If there are no cognitive or learning problems, children can usually compensate to play well in ball games. There might be some problems with fine-motor movement though.

If there are delays in other areas eg feeding, you should ask your PD to refer your child to OT for a thorough assessment. The health booklet is a blunt screening tool.

infants below one should not show hand dominance/ preference. Hand dominance is usu established at ard 3-5 yr+.

Home exercise
I did some identical bilateral movements when baby was 0-1+ mth. from 2-4mth, I think I did some assymmetric movements eg alternate cycling movement.

(this is adapted from some CP programme. I think some motor patterning thing for children with severe brain injury and physical disability.)

Although we didn't do exercises regularly, Christine has very good motor skills. then again, she has shown good trunk control from birth.

vinder79

My son used to move dragging himself. Then he went on to crawling and standing up and walking.

Sorry to ask but are your friends babies emotional.Thats what i am scared of Danvin being as i want him to be as strong as possible.

vinder79

Some children skipped crawling. But during my Glen Doman course, I was told crawling & creeping are 'proper procedure' so when you missed these steps, some body co-ordination/balancing will be lacking.

You can try put him tummy down when lying, give him a chance to start with 'snake style'. Put something he likes to reach - motivation. Try not to place him back downwards (lying position) on the mattress. Alternate side ways or tummy down.
Yup thats part of what i heard 2.My mum has taken courses in this and she has stress to me that a child should not miss a step.And yes angelmum i have put him on his sides and given him loads of motivation it looks as though he is swimming on the matress 2 day morning.And when i put him tummy down he either rolls or starts crying.i called up his prof 2day but he saisd tummy down should not be painful for him.I am wondering why he cries the house down then.

vinder79

Yup have been at it for 2 hrs 2 day and yup i feel that he will already sense difference between him and his brother and dont want to risk consequences on him any more.

vinder79

Midline movements help integrate binocular vision, binaural hearing, and the left and right sides of the brain.

Even though some children skip the crawling stage, they are able to perform other midline activities. eg they have no problems reaching out to grab things on left side using right hand, can transfer objects from left to right hands/sides of body/visual fields. If there are no cognitive or learning problems, children can usually compensate to play well in ball games. There might be some problems with fine-motor movement though.

If there are delays in other areas eg feeding, you should ask your pediatrician to refer your child to OT for a thorough assessment. The health booklet is a blunt screening tool.

infants below one should not show hand dominance/ preference. Hand dominance is usu established at around 3-5 yr+.

Home exercise
I did some identical bilateral movements when baby was 0-1+ month. from 2-4mth, I think I did some assymmetric movements eg alternate cycling movement.

(this is adapted from some CP programme. I think some motor patterning thing for children with severe brain injury and physical disability.)

Although we didn't do exercises regularly, Christine has very good motor skills. then again, she has shown good trunk control from birth.
My baby eats every 2 hrs and he has no hand dominance.He just does not wanna even put effort to crawl.

Yup have been at it for 2 hours 2 day and yup i feel that he will already sense difference between him and his brother and dont want to risk consequences on him any more.
It takes a while to teach the child to crawl. Do be patient. You will also need to ascertain if his upper body muscles are toned to hold his weight. If not, he will not be able to push himself up to start crawling. If necessary, work on developing the upper body strengths first.

Then, you may want to start by having him on his knees and hands and rock back and forth, before actually doing the crawling. He needs to feel the movement first and be confident before lifting his arms to crawl.

Keep on trying...

ping26

My baby eats every 2 hours and he has no hand dominance.He just does not wanna even put effort to crawl.
When I refer to feeding, it also refers to chewing semi-solids, drinking using spout, straw, open cup, etc. Extreme rejection of certain food textures e.g. mashed banana, etc. You have to keep offering.

midline movement exercises
- you can sing & exercise your child's limbs while he is on his back so that he has an idea that he has to alternate limb movement (left hand-right leg, or cycling). There is no strain to back muscles. You can do it even if upper limbs are unable to support body weight. The brain is still stimulated, albeit without the vestibular component.

- there is an exercise with gym ball/rollers but that has a risk of back strain/injury for babies, which should be done under supervision.

- If u are able to get him to lie flat on baby gym, you can hold his hand & reach out for toys on other side of body.

(this is a part of tx program for children with cerebral palsy who require more help to develop muscle memory. both symmetric and assymmetric movements are impt for young infants)

tummy time
- duration depends on baby's personality.
Some babies have to be forced (allowed to cry for some time), some babies can't be forced. Pls use discretion when you seek advice on the net. Swimming on bed is fine as long as baby doesn't mind. Swimming will at least work those trunk and neck muscles. I prefer to stop just before the baby breaks into big fuss. Then repeat next hr.

Crawling is one activity that involves many parts of body & sensory system.
Some children happen to skip crawling but are otherwise fine as they have no difficulties with bilateral control of limbs & midline perception. Some will have hand-writing difficulties at abt 5-6 year-old.