Cannot drink plain water?

apollo

Hi all,
I think i agree with mummiestarries and rather listen than regret later...prevention better than cure ...
But I agree that red dates drinks are heaty ....i have not deliver so i cant comment much.
But I used to be a heaty person and gets easily heaty..but now I also take red dates tea drink occasionally but so far so good...not heaty yet..
I think most imptly before confinement, take care of your heaty and be healthy throughout your pregnancy so when you are doing confinement you wont fall sick so easily bah...

all mummies , JIA YOU!:Dancing_wub:
if u're a heaty person, i suggest u better dont take too much red dates tea during ur confinement... i'm quite heaty and took red dates tea for the 1st week and down with v bad sore throat... from then, i stop the red dates tea and drink lotsa plain water...

Ting

the cleaner aunty at my place here, she recommended something.

she say, take rice (uncooked) then rinse already let them dry.
then put inside the wok/pan and "dry" fry (without oil or anything).
slice some ginger and put in to fry together until golden yellow.
then add water and drink.
if not, can put 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture and put in a flask, and add hot water.
she say taste nice and is good for confinement period.

she say she did that 30 years ago though, when she was having her confinement. :p
so maybe can ask your MILs or mums.
might not be suitable for BF-ing mums. maybe can put w/o ginger and try. :)

but uh, i nvr try b4 so i dont know. :p
:)

lumpy

There is less flexibility in liquids during confirment.

During the entire month, I was only permitted to quench my thirst with tea made of red dates. Every night my mother put some red dates, dang shen, dried longan (the fruit of the Chinese evergreen tree) and medlar seeds into a slow cooker.
Throughout the day I had to drink this brew instead of plain water so as to prevent water retention and revitalize health.
My mother constantly warned me about the consequences of drinking plain water which would purportedly make the veins swell.

Was not allowed to open the fridge door during confirment to get cold water as well. but i hear people saying that it is only for the first week. but, my mum insisted that i dont't drink cold water for the whole month.
i agree with mummiestarries....e after effects of not following such sayings will normally take place in e later part of your years...i have relatives around me who suffered for their ways and so i guai guai listen to my parents and parent in law during confinement...besides to me itz 'suffering' for 1-2 mths only better then suffering for e rest of your life....JMHO

just to share...
this happened to my cousin in law who's in her mid 30s right now...

after delivering her 1st 2 when she was in her late 20s...she did not listen to her mother in law's (ie: my aunt) words and did it her way...guess coz she was brought up in a western country...she refused to drink e red dates tea..drank plain water and cold drinks instead...bathed and even washed her hair...slept in air con...blow fan.....when she reached early 30s...she stared complaining of frequent tummy aches and migranes as well as pain in e joints....she went to many western docs and they just gave her pain killers...when e pain was un-bearable she finally relented and sought e chinese physician's help...after thorough examination...e physician told her e cause of all these pains and aches is due to her confinement not done properly...also affected by her diet as she's very picky when it comes to food....

on e contary her sister In law (my cousin) who's 2 yrs older then her gave birth to 2 kids and followed thru e proper confinement did not have such problems at all....

they are not e only real life egs i have around me who are in similar situations...so i rather 'suffer' during e 2 mths confinements then for e rest of my life...:001_302:

snowbear

Drinking water wun cause water retention; lack of water will. :)

My mil says dun drink water coz water will cause the tummy to be big. Anyway, I hardly drank water and only drank mostly red date tea and brown rice water which my mil cooked for me.

Triquetra

But whats the logic/theory behind?
In what ways will the effect holds and only take place years later?
Whats the initial impact?

apollo

Drinking water wun cause water retention; lack of water will. :)

My mother in law says dont drink water coz water will cause the tummy to be big. Anyway, I hardly drank water and only drank mostly red date tea and brown rice water which my mother in law cooked for me.
u're right snowbear!! But too bad, alot ppl have the wrong idea that drink water causes water retention...

babymiki2003

according to my massage lady, cold drinks as in with ice or those put in the fridge WILL cause water retention.

and i believed her cos i drank tonnes of cold drinks during my pregnancy and my water retention was very serious. now that i gave birth and jus fin 5 days of massage, my water retention is almost gone and i stick to not drinking cold water, only warm or at most room temp water

i understand its unbearable cos every mealtime i will sweat like mad but having gone thru it myself, i have to believe it

babymiki2003

i teach you, you must know how to CRY!!! CRY then you win liaooooo... i cried then my hubby smuggle cold drinks, curry puff, choco etc... haha!!!!!!!:tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:
iya, cannot cry la. i seldom cry one, if i cry means im really depressed, so he will be very worried.

strangely, now one week into confinement i have no special cravings le. really none at all, except biscuits somemore just those wheat biscuits are good enough ..hmmm...haha

Ting

mum say canot cry during confinement, will affect eyesight.
i dunno why either?
actually, in western countries, they dont go thru confinement n they r still fine right??
confinement is more of a cultural thingy for chinese.

apollo

i dont know why either?
actually, in western countries, they dont go thru confinement and they are still fine right??
tt's y lor! HAHA!!!

as for the eyesight, my mum said she cried during her confinement and 3mths later her eyes got 'water' and cannot see, gonna go thru a OP... i dont know whether gonna do with her crying doing confinement or is it just coincidental.. haha..

side track abit, pertaining to confinement myths, did you know what for us asians, we said after give birth cannot shower right? ang moh also have myths... but for them, it's cannot bathe before give birth. i read that from a book i bought called "what to expect when you're expecting". hahaha.

snowbear

i dont know why either?
actually, in western countries, they dont go thru confinement and they are still fine right??
is it? I cried very often during confinement coz of bfding difficulties and mil issues. My eyesight now still ok, dunno abt the future tho...

apollo

side track abit, pertaining to confinement myths, did you know what for us asians, we said after give birth cannot shower right? ang moh also have myths... but for them, it's cannot bathe before give birth. i read that from a book i bought called "what to expect when you're expecting". hahaha.
did they mention why??

hakisumi

sorry side track abit..
i have a friend who she marry to a french guy.. then confinment month, her mother flew over to take care of her.. then the ang mo in-laws wanna cut fruits for my friend like pineapple & oranges.. my friend and her mum almost 'fainted' plus the in laws say wanna bring the baby out to park/ garden and walk walk...

i also heard from my frenz say dont drk plain water as it will cause bloating/wind at stomach or what (not very sure of the exact reason) so its only red dates drk...

to the traditional side, other than red dates what else of these special brew drks can we drk..?

also heard cant drk too much ginger stuffs.. if not the milk will have a 'ginger spice' taste.. then baby drk will 'spicy spicy'

my mother in law say she gotta feed me with ABC stout cos its very heaty and apparently its gotta be good for me....

-jOanna

sorry side track abit..
i have a friend who she marry to a french guy.. then confinment month, her mother flew over to take care of her.. then the ang mo in-laws wanna cut fruits for my friend like pineapple & oranges.. my friend and her mum almost 'fainted' plus the in laws say wanna bring the baby out to park/ garden and walk walk...

i also heard from my frenz say dont drk plain water as it will cause bloating/wind at stomach or what (not very sure of the exact reason) so its only red dates drk...

to the traditional side, other than red dates what else of these special brew drks can we drk..?

also heard cant drk too much ginger stuffs.. if not the milk will have a 'ginger spice' taste.. then baby drk will 'spicy spicy'

my mother in law say she gotta feed me with ABC stout cos its very heaty and apparently its gotta be good for me....
the ginger part is scared baby kena jaundice bah.. muz 2hrs after take in ginger den can bf or pump milk.. ginger is good for removing wind.. but i nv heard cant drink plain water.. like that how to neutralise our body? so many heaty stuff.. red dates and longan sweet leh.. later after confinement kena diabetes.. -_-

hakisumi

hahahaa.. 'kena diabetes'...
ya lor.. i also not sure this... although my water intake is not alot but nvr/dun drk also quite hard.. maybe 1st 2 wks eat the dates & longan drk den later can drk water le?

snowbear

sorry side track abit..

Besides red date tea, you can drink brown rice water. That's what my mother in law boiled for me besides red date tea. It's rather tasteless and less heaty than red date tea.

dont eat too much ginger if you're gonna bf. But a moderate amt is fine unless your baby's jaundice is bad. I didn't eat any! My mother in law says the food cooked with the ginger ok already.

If you're gonna breastfeed, rem to drink alcohol only AFTER bfding and dont bf for the next 4 hours (according to BMSG) because alcohol's very bad for baby's liver. I didn't drink any dom or yomeishu at all coz I'm paranoid. :D Anyway, my baby needed to drink every 2-3hrs and I pumped for every feed and refused to supplement so it's not possible for me to drink any alcohol at all.

Gelyn

I heard from my german colleague that they just drink plain water and they don't really have confinement like we do. Water retention only happen due to pregnancy but after giving birth is fine having cold drink as mentioned by my colleague. But they avoid alcohol if they are breastfeeding though.

So I guess it's indivual preference.

duriz

Hi everyone, I'm new here. This is my first post.
My EDD is 9 Oct 09.
I drink water everyday and usually cold water, I do not have any water retention.
My MIL is Thai so she is very flexible with what I want to eat and drink.
She told me when she was pregnant with my husband, she had very bad morning sickness and could only eat bananas, so she brought them with her wherever she went. In Singapore, everyone warns pregnant women not to eat bananas.
Last weekend, we went to our regular medical hall to pack the tea for my confinement. The sensei packed black dates with some herbs instead of red dates. He also advised to drink this concoction twice a week instead of daily, for fear of heatiness. So we bought 8 pack ($5 each) for one month confinement.
My mom is Burmese and she said mommies need to drink water to replenish fluids lost in breastfeeding. They don't believe in water causing retention and neither do doctors. My mom breastfed me until I was 3 years old :001_302:

Many confinement practises like not bathing and not drinking plain water are all hearsay which are inapplicable in our current society.

The reason why people did not bathe in the past was due to poor quality of unboiled water, which may affect the healing of wounds.

I am unsure about the plain water, but it's really illogical if you think of it. How come we can drink soups and tea but not plain water? Use your instinct and listen to comments from old folk with a pinch of salt.