Car seat a must?

bbyoshi

Is car seats a must for babies when they sit in a car?

We are driving a Toyota vios and we have a pair of twins. with 2 car seats at the back, at most i can have 1 more passenger. But we need to fit my mummy and maid in the backseat.

Is it okie if i let one sit in the car seat and the other hand carry?

meiteoh

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk. Accidents can occur even at the slowest speed or with the simplest things like slamming on the brakes. For adults, such things can lead to sore necks and backs but they can be deadly for babies. Even if you were to carry one baby, if you get into an accident, the one with the most injuries would be your baby.

I'm even willing to carry my car seat all the way to KL even if it means more trouble for me and my hubby. I would never put my child's life at risk in such instances so for me, better to be safe than sorry.

Is the trip long? If it isn't, try squeezing in or worse come to worse, hire a cab?

littlehelper

How about one car seat at the front one at back so ur wife,mum and maid can squeeze more comfortably.
Anw,singapores not tat big,it won't be for long tat they have to squeeze.
Other alternative-Don't bring your maid?

apollo

same as the other mummies, i dare not risk. when hubby was sending my 2 frens home, ds sit behind in his carseat n my frens squeeze abit. i apologise to them and they understand. sometimes my hubby drives van instead of car and we will place the carseat at the window seat and i sit in the middle, very troublesome & uncomfy for me but safer for my baby =)

bbyoshi

ya.. its very dangerous.. no choice need to squeeze then. i dun want to take the risk and compromise the babies' safety...

chiro

i never put my son on car seat before hehe! Put him on stroller he wailed loudly
ya.. its very dangerous.. no choice need to squeeze then. i dont want to take the risk and compromise the babies' safety...

hi bbyoshi

we bought our car 2 wks before delivery and knowing we r expecting twins, we decided on a 2nd hand Mazda 5 (7 seater).

We put 1 car seat on the 2nd row and the other on the 3rd row and my maid and me will be seated on the 2nd and 3rd side by side with the boys...so the 1st row passenger seat will be available but squeezy a bit coz, the boys sitting face backwards (this position will need more space). The strollers goes to the space behind the 3rd row....so each time we go out, the car is packed.

I totally agree with other mommies, shd not compromise on baby safety....

a fren, one of her twin girl admitted to A&E coz hubby brake suddenly and the baby girl was "thrown" front & backward in the mommy arms..... so dont take the chance....

apollo

hi bbyoshi

we bought our car 2 wks before delivery and knowing we are expecting twins, we decided on a 2nd hand Mazda 5 (7 seater).

We put 1 car seat on the 2nd row and the other on the 3rd row and my maid and me will be seated on the 2nd and 3rd side by side with the boys...so the 1st row passenger seat will be available but squeezy a bit coz, the boys sitting face backwards (this position will need more space). The strollers goes to the space behind the 3rd row....so each time we go out, the car is packed.

I totally agree with other mommies, should not compromise on baby safety....

a friend, one of her twin girl admitted to A&E coz hubby brake suddenly and the baby girl was "thrown" front & backward in the mommy arms..... so dont take the chance....
oh dear!!! tt's very scary! cos no matter how tight we hold out babies, when a sudden brake comes, we will let go, due to the shock.

meiteoh

Oh, forgot to mention that you ought to stick to the recommendation usage for your car seat.

So if it's rear-facing, don't be a smarty-pants and put it in the front seat, especially when you have air bags. :p You may end up killing your baby if you get involved in an accident and the air bag is deployed.

Rear facing car seats and any other type are always to be placed at the BACK of the car not the front.

bbyoshi

yep... i agree too... better not take the risk... thank you mommies..

no choice then got to squeeze... better be safe than sorry.. hehe...

think it's time to change car... hmmm... any recommendations? a car big enough to accommodate 2 car seats and 3 passengers and not too ex.. hehe

apollo

yep... i agree too... better not take the risk... thank you mommies..

no choice then got to squeeze... better be safe than sorry.. hehe...

think it's time to change car... hmmm... any recommendations? a car big enough to accommodate 2 car seats and 3 passengers and not too ex.. hehe
mine was bought by my frens for ds's xmas gift.. they bought at baby hypermart at kaki bukit, has lotsa choice. i think ard 190bucks? actu i think most impt is must secure the the carseat well.. at 1st we dunno hw to secure the carseat tightly and it seems abit 'loose' aft reading the manual den manage to secure it well... =)

if given my choice, we wd have bought toyota wish, but my hubby is a mazda fan..so we end up buying 2nd hand Mazda 5 (2.0 litres) ..also toyota wish is only 1.8 litres... hubby says too low c.c. for MPV...sigh...he says what do i know about cars!!!! sigh...quite true also ... as long as got transport to fit all of us in... i am fine... :001_302::001_302:

PinkDiamonds

Looks like the Toyota Wish is a popular family car choice. Heard now got a lot of CNY promotion going on, you can check out the carmarts.

jellybnzw

i never put my son on car seat before hehe! Put him on stroller he wailed loudly

My baby girl has the same problem for strollers but after getting the knack on what she likes on a stroller (she cannot have the stroller stop).

But the car seat is no compromise, there was once a taxi crashed into my hubby's car from the back when we were at a red light. The collision made our car push at least 1-2m forward. But our baby girl remained sleeping in her car seat. So no compromise on the car seat. Most important thing is for baby to be safe.