caring n carrying baby alone....

Lana17

my 8 weeks old baby need to be carried most of the time to sleep (especially in the afternoon or even sometime when he's awake) n whenever i put him down on his bed he will wakes up n cry.. pick him up and keep him in my arm so that he can sleep... ...

any mummies caring yr baby alone encountered this can share yr experience? will baby out grow this stage of wanting to be carry all the time? i really dont mind carry my baby when awake or sleep through out the day, but as i'm caring my baby alone, it's hard for me to do things,e.g like hving my breakfast/ lunch, going to the toilet etc hv to do it within mins n my arm sore as well at times from carry him . tried to use sling/ carrier but baby dont like it.. *sigh*
i know baby want mum contact but hope he will outgrow this carrying when he gets older.... hving backache as well
relief when my hubby back fm work every evening so that he can help carry too ..

cn naz

I wanna know, too. My baby is 4 months and in the afernoon she only sleeps in my arms. Sometimes when she is very deep asleep then i can put her down on her cot. Sometimes i got lucky and do my chores around the house and eat. Sometimes she only gave me 10 mins then she 'd cry for me to carry her again. My back is killing me!

najwee

Why don't you try Putting your baby down to sleep once they are drowsy? Even when they start to cry after, just let them cry till they exhaust themselves and fall asleep. I know as a mummy you will feel heartache when baby cries very hard, but baby will get used to not being carried. Or you can try putting your baby on a bouncer chair. My 11 weeks old baby fuss less when we put her in one and falls asleep in it web I pat her and bounce at the same time.

hueychye79

Did you let your baby sleep on tummy?

I still remember my son can sleep very well when he sleep on tummy.....

Look for alternative position that are less tiring. Maybe baby prefer to be upright due to gassy or indigestion.
How bout sleeping on your tummy ...tummy to tummy kinda relaxing for both be it side by side or you leaning on your bed.
Keep up your good work of attachment parenting, baby will grow up to be happy,confidence and contented toddler :)

breadgal

My son oso like tat so I put him in yao lan.. If not really very hard to do chores.. :( but then another problem arise is keep want to yao.. But it all depends in e child.. For my 1st child yao till sleep can Liao.. For my 2nd child muz keep yao even if he's asleep..

kylnn

You can try using a yaolan.
My 5mth old baby girl usually fidgets for about 30mins (sometimes will cry out in frustration abit) before she finally falls asleep in her cot.
But at my parents' place in the yaolan, as soon as we put her in there she will become quiet & still. Shake shake the yaolan abit and she falls immediately asleep!

Oh, and are u using a pacifier? It can help alot!
My baby usually needs it to fall asleep. Without it, she will be very restless, like unable to settle down to sleep.
I'm not worried that she will become too addicted to the pacifier though, because once she's in a deep sleep she will auto spit it out. She doesn't like to suck it when she's wide awake too. Only needs it when sleepy.

cn naz

i've tried putting her down when she's drowsy. she ended up waking up and protested.
tried paci, she spat it out, did not like.
put on her tummy, she ended up waking up and cried.

don't have the bouncer tho, does that help?

Lana17

same here, tried to put him on tummy, sometime ok sometime not n will end up keep turning his head left/ right n cried.. pacifi works sometime but sometime will also give u the 'yuck' look n spat it out...

he will wake up like 10 mins later when i put him down drowsy... n end up crying too, tried to pat him to sleep, cry even louder.. i cant bear to let him cry n carry him to calm him down...

dont hv yao lan, maybe will work.. since i suppose i'm already a human walking yao lan..

strange thing is, he dont hv any pb sleeping in his cot at night.. n can sleep up to 3-4 hrs b4 his next night feed.. wondering how come day time is so difficult for him ...

cn naz

Same here, at night she sleeps okay. Sometimes 4 hours, milk, then goes back to sleep. If not until morning. Maybe baby can differentiate night and day?

Lana17

i think so baby can know the diff between day n night...
i lower my voice or dont normally talk to my baby when he wakes up for feed or change his diaper at night, maybe the slience and the darkness make him feels the diff, maybe also that's y he wakes up, milk n back to sleep again.. day time i will keep talking and playing with him when he's awake...
until he's ready to sleep in his cot during day time, my whole body is beginning to ache like mad... wish there is a special potion to ease the pain over night so that my body is fresh n ready for another day of carrying :s

Actually young babies like to be carried. Otherwise the Yao lan idea is good.

You may want to try using a wrap as seen at this website: http://www.wrapyourbaby.com/
If you are able to do a back carry, you can put baby behind your back and can do housework.

Unfortunately baby wraps are not very popular in Singapore, but soft structured carriers(i.e Ergo or Manduca) are quite popular and can be used for children up to 18-20kg and can do back carries. They provide excellent support and are

Otherwise many mothers still use the one shoulder ring sling, which can be quite tiring after a while.

I personally found that after I started baby wearing,I could go to many places and it was absolutely necessary when I had my 2nd child.

I used a stretchy wrap with my 2nd child for 2 shoulder carry when he was an infant. But by the time he was about 8 kg, he got a bit heavy for the stretchy wrap. I didn't purchase a woven wrap as it was too expensive to ship to Singapore and my infant had become a toddler and wanted to walk most of the time.
I am also a user of the indonesian selendang (just use any piece of cloth) to do a 1 shoulder carry.

I still use my soft structured carrier (Manduca).

Niuniu

My gal is 7 mths now and weights 8.5kg.. She does not know how to sleep on her own too. I have no idea how to train her, I have tried patting her down when she wakes up at night but ended up she will cry louder and louder.. Once she even cry till vomit :we3sad:
It is very hard to rock her to sleep nowadays due to her weight, I can't balance myself when carrying her at her.. Sigh..
Dunno when will she be able to sleep by patting..

My son 4 months now, he used to need to be carried and pat buttock then can sleep. And can only put him on bed after he is in deep sleep else immediately open eyes. When he 3 months, I always put him down when i see signs that he is getting sleepy and lay next to him. Make sure he has his pacifier and he will slowly drift off to sleep. It takes a long time for him to drift off to sleep when I first started but he gets better at self soothing to sleep. There are still times when he likes to be carried to sleep but very seldom now - I kinda miss it. Using aircon and darkening the room slightly helps also - Spore is just too HOT!

kylnn

You can also try feeding her abit to get her to sleep.

During the first mth, my baby girl would cry & cry, then one day my mom suggested why not feed her abit of milk? So we gave her about 1/4 of her usual feeding amt, and she really dozed off after drinking that little bit! Can try giving her water instead if she drank her milk not too long ago. Or gripe water.

Until today (baby 5mths now), I would give her a drink if I see her getting frustrated unable to fall sleep. Works wonders! Like adults who drink warm milk if they cannot sleep, maybe some babies also need to have that warm, full satisfied feeling in their tummy in order to fall asleep hehe.

Alisa

few days ago, my son was cry out loud and don wan to sleep and we give him water, he drink till he is satisify and he went to sleep. Really surprised!

By right baby below 6 months don't need anything except milk. If breast milk, no need feed water at all. Formula can feed a little water cos it can be rather "heaty". Water not recommend as it fills baby up but no nutrition value. Eg my boy don't want to sleep, I feed breast milk until he satisfy then he will sleep. I never feed him water. But he total BF so not sure it's the milk or mummy that helps him sleep :p

What is the purpose of gripe water?