circumcising ?

Jojoai

Mummies do you circumcise your boys ? How old you bring him to do ? And what is the after effect bleeding or what ? And where to do at. Discussing with my hubby if should or not. Cos hubby did it too he said its cleaner. Any ideas mummies ?

Christinet

I did not circumcise my boys. See:
peaceful parenting: Intact or Circumcised: A Significant Difference in the Adult Penis (contains pic of penis)

It is not cleaner really. It is no dirtier than the vagina. Men who are not circumcised rarely get infections and if they do it is usually only once. It is easily cleared up in a few days on its own or with some antibiotics never to be infected again.

The foreskin contains nerves and the gliding action helps with masturbation.

I would not deprive my boy of a functioning part of his body. It is his body not ours.

Alisa

i also never circumcised my son. If he is having any infection that no choice then i will circumcise him.

foscom

I did circumcise my boys. My first we did not bother then he got an infection and we needed to do it when he was older. Once we did it there was no problems with infections. The second boy I did shortly after birth, and we have had no problems. I would do it again if I had another son just after birth. It is much better than running the risk of dealing with infection. The procedure takes around 5 mins, is simple, and the pain levels are not noticeable. Hubby and I did a lot of research before our first son did it and the benefits outweigh the negatives

MamaDT

Hi foscom,

So how many mths was ur 2nd boy when he did the circumcision? Did he keep crying or anything? Thanks!

andieluv2

My husband did it and i think its much cleaner.i Dun have a baby boy but as a pediatric nurse, i've seen a fair share of penile infection. Its called balanitis. Can go google. It can be harmless if boys dont circumsize. But provided they retract and.wash properly. If not infection will still set in. For those with tight foreskin (phimosis), it is better to go for it as it is almost impossible to retract fully to clean properly. If forcefully retract a tight foreskin, it will cause paraphimosis, which is an emergency, it will cause bld circulation to be disrupted and will cause the penile head to die off which will affect the boy's sexual health nxt time.

crystal060

foscom:687896 said:
I did circumcise my boys. My first we did not bother then he got an infection and we needed to do it when he was older. Once we did it there was no problems with infections. The second boy I did shortly after birth, and we have had no problems. I would do it again if I had another son just after birth. It is much better than running the risk of dealing with infection. The procedure takes around 5 mins, is simple, and the pain levels are not noticeable. Hubby and I did a lot of research before our first son did it and the benefits outweigh the negatives
Hi Foscom, I'm also thinking of circumcising my baby. Can share how did your #2 react to the op? at which mth did he did that? Thanks in advance! :D

Jojoai

How young can they do it ? And whats the after effect like ? Do you have to take extra care ?

foscom

The doctor advised us to do it when our son was young. The younger the faster the healing and less painful.

I was looking at doing it after the birth, before discharge, but we were quoted $2000 by the hospital. A friend suggested we go to a clinic. We did it a month after birth at clinic and it cost $99 includes medication and checkup. The clinic was called Crescent in Bedok. While the clinic looks old the service was very professional. The doctor consulted with us for a few mins. Then he took our son in to his rooms to be circumcised. He returned with our son after about 5 mins...that was it.

He used the Pastibell method which involves only a small amount of cutting. they place a small plastic ring over the head of the penis. They then tie a string around the foreskin. The foreskin is trapped between the string and the plastic ring. This cuts of circulation of blood to the foreskin and it drops of in a few days. The doctor told us to think of it as if you place a rubber band around your finger it simply goes numb... not much pain. This method can only be used on young children below 5 years. With this method there is no special care required, just bath as normal.

All children react differently. My son was a bit restless just after did the surgery. When we got him home we gave him the medication and he slept a few hours. When he woke he was like normal..no problem. The ring fell off after 3 days. Full recovery took 5 days. We were surprised because when I oldest did it he was about 10 years he was scared of course, it was quite painful for him, and recovery took more than a week.

My family is Chinese and no one in my family had done it before, so it was a big decision for us. May I ask why you are thinking of doing it?

Jojoai

My hubby did it when he was young. And he said it was like easier to manage and ask me to think about it. If its better in a long run why not. But I'm just asking around to see if I really want to do it. I'm still not sure because after all it's my sons bird. I'm afraid he will get laughed at or something that will cause peer pressure. I'm still not sure and still discussing with my husband. The charges at hosp and clinic so much ?! Just a normal pd do this kind of srvc ?

crystal060

Jojoai:689286 said:
My hubby did it when he was young. And he said it was like easier to manage and ask me to think about it. If its better in a long run why not. But I'm just asking around to see if I really want to do it. I'm still not sure because after all it's my sons bird. I'm afraid he will get laughed at or something that will cause peer pressure. I'm still not sure and still discussing with my husband. The charges at hosp and clinic so much ?! Just a normal pd do this kind of srvc ?
Hi5 jojoai, my hubby also did it when he's young and he thinks it's much cleaner. I've been researching online, and it seems like there are differing views on it. Still can't decide if I shld let my bb undergo this. :confused:
Thanks to foscom for sharing yr exp.

Jojoai

Crystal , how old is your boy alrdy ? I really afraid next time he want to be 'normal' then blame on me. :x

stalejive

Circumcising goes way back 1400 years ago, anyway got my son circumcised when he's 2 days old, ring dropped off after few days.

C_Ang

Hi All

Had my son circumcised a month after birth for hygiene. I was quite reluctant at first, but after I did my research I felt there was a lot more benefits to doing it.

The main benefits are a lower chance of infection and developing other complications with the foreskin, and better hygiene. However, there are other benefits such as a reduced chance of contracting HIV, and lower risk of cancer. Circumcision is now recommended by the US medical association.

Circumcision, as Foscom mentioned, is a very minor procedure when performed when young. It took about 5 minutes to do and son did not seem to be in any distress. The recovery was fast a few days.

Son has never had any problems with his bird, unlike some a few of my friends who have opted not to circumcise their boys. Their boys always seem to be getting infections down there, which can sometimes be quite serious. One of my friends eventually had to have her son circumcised when he was 12 years due to repeat infections. It was quite traumatic at that age and she could not forgive herself for not doing her son shortly after birth.

If I have another boy circumcision is must for me.......I do not regret doing it at all.

JoJoai definitely go to a clinic not a hospital. I also did my son at Crescent Clinic it costed $120, much cheaper than the hospital and the doctor is very experienced. Also do not worry about peer pressure, many children are circumcised nowadays for hygiene. My son has never been teased at school because of the way his bird looks.

Let me know what you decide JoJoai and Crystal...it is worth sharing

Last edited:

crystal060

Jojoai:689795 said:
Crystal , how old is your boy alrdy ? I really afraid next time he want to be 'normal' then blame on me. :x
Hi jojoai, I'm currently in my week 36. Hv been gg through lots of discussion with my hubby. He is supportive on circumcising, but I'm hesitating cuz can't bear for bb to go through pain, and also like you, worried tt he'll blame me when he grows up.

Hi jive, can share which clinic did you go and costs? Thanks!

Jojoai

I'm in my 33 weeks ! Haha. Yeah have been discussing with my hubby too. But my mom thinks its more mafan ... But seems like its a norm now. I really dk if should or not. Plus our time is like running out. Hahaha. But will it grow back ? Can't bear to see my son in pain too. ):

stalejive

Hi Crystal, had my boy done with Dr Aziz at parkway east but u can go to his clinic at Kembangan Plaza. i need to check the bill again as it was billed together along with labor delivery hospital charges, but anyway u can call them up to ask.

lyra

I'm not going to circumcise after reading the article Christinet shared: peaceful parenting: Intact or Circumcised: A Significant Difference in the Adult Penis

The picture looks pretty horrible and PAINFUL! How did the doctor know the younger it is, the less painful?! It's just that the baby can't voice out the pain.

Also, hubby said foreskin can open up by itself, unless it is too tight, then erection will be painful later on. I think it's better to teach young boys to clean properly then to cut off part of them that we believe is too difficult to clean just for convenience's sack. If its for a medical reason, I think it's ok but if my boy is alright, I won't do it.

C_Ang

Hi being doing some research and found this in a recent article.

The American Academy of Pediatrics announces its first major shift on circumcision in more than a decade, saying the health benefits clearly outweigh the risks, and that all newborn boys should be circumcised.