Co-sleep or baby cot?

haffa

Hello mummies...at night do u co-sleep with your baby or do u let ur baby sleep in the cot? Currently i co-sleep with baby coz she is only abt 5wks old. I am planning to let her sleep in the cot soon but dunno whether that's a good idea so mummies do feel free to share. Thanks! :)

annie

i used to let my girl sleep in her own cot beside my bed till she was about 10mths old iirc. she still sleeps in her cot but then we removed one side of her cot and join to our bed like this Our Precious Princess!: Koala Bear the reason n conclusion.. is all in her blog. hehe. lazy to type all over again. LOL

BUT if your bb is still young like u said, i would sugest letting her sleep in her cot alone to train her to sleep better. btw, are u breastfeeding? the reason why i dun support co sleeping at such young age is because IF u are breastfeeding, most of the time u will just shove your breast to the bb while u n bb are still lying down n bb will most likely suck her way to sleep which is not very good for such young babies as they cant learn how to fall asleep by themselves n might grow dependent on the breast.. my girl is already old enough n knows how to go to sleep by herself so i dun mind co sleeping...now she just come to me, suck n crawl back to her own cot n fell asleep. sometimes she does fall asleep on my breast though but not often.

terasey

this is a fantastic idea~~!! my room is quite limited and may not be able to put a cot. so intend to let bb sleep on the floor (on mattress)... any bad review on this?

annie

pros: bb wont fall down
cons: when bb start to get mobile, they will play with the sockets n wires in the middle of the nights which is dangerous unless u bb proof your room perfectly

haffa

i used to let my girl sleep in her own cot beside my bed till she was about 10mths old iirc. she still sleeps in her cot but then we removed one side of her cot and join to our bed like this Our Precious Princess!: Koala Bear the reason n conclusion.. is all in her blog. hehe. lazy to type all over again. LOL

BUT if your baby is still young like you said, i would sugest letting her sleep in her cot alone to train her to sleep better. btw, are you breastfeeding? the reason why i dont support co sleeping at such young age is because IF you are breastfeeding, most of the time you will just shove your breast to the baby while you n baby are still lying down n baby will most likely suck her way to sleep which is not very good for such young babies as they cant learn how to fall asleep by themselves n might grow dependent on the breast.. my girl is already old enough n knows how to go to sleep by herself so i dont mind co sleeping...now she just come to me, suck n crawl back to her own cot n fell asleep. sometimes she does fall asleep on my breast though but not often.

Annie...that is such a good idea. I like what you did with the cot. Well...initially b4 baby was born, me and hubby have already decided to let baby sleep in her cot. But now i feel bad about letting baby sleep on her own. That is why i want to ask experienced mummies like u..so that i get an assurance that it is better for baby to sleep on her own. :)

apollo

we usually let ds slp in his cot cos i have a fren, she co-slp with her baby and now her son is alrdy 4yrs old, still wanna slp on the queen size bed with them no matter hw mice they 'deco' his bed...

but we do co-sleep with ds sometimes.. sometimes he will wake up at the middle of night and dont wanna slp back, tt's the time we will carryhim over and slp with us... and also when he is teething, cos he will tend to be v cranky and cant slp well... =)

chiro

i was thinkin of gettin a bigger cot to put my son in.but problem is he has been sleepin with us on bed for about 7 months liao,scared too late to put him in cot liao.annie, will your girl try to stand on her bed?my joker now can stand un supported for a while and land on his bum

annie

haffa, dun worry. its ok to let your bb sleep in cot alone. u are all in the same room isnt it? i wanted to move my girl to another room but was feeling a bit bad to throw her inside an empty room haha. seems so lonely..

yea regina, my girl also sometimes does wat your son is doing when she was sleeping alone in her cot last time.. she always stand up n cry and dont want to be put back to cot.. so i let her sleep in between me n hubby but i cannot sleep well as i keep worrying that she will be crush by us or roll down the bed... n she will kick n punch me in her sleep!

chiro, my girl now dosent stand up on her bed or our bed dunno y. but then when she was sleeping in her cot alone, she often stood up crying in the middle of the night n want to be put in between us...after we somehow co sleep, her night cryings stop as well as she can always crawl out to us if she wants to thus no need to stand up and cry hehe. anyway i think u can try. there are ppl who move bb to their own room after 1yr old successfully so i think moving him to cot is worth a try. i didnt want to co sleep at all cos i want my girl to be able to sleep in her own bed by herself.. now she is not yet sleeping through the night thus i let her sleep in her cot joined to our bed.. once she start to sleep through the night im gonna move her cot away! whahahha. since she dun need the milk anymore... n shall put back the other side of her cot so she will be back to HER cot all alone again hehe

Last edited:

apollo

haffa, dont worry. its ok to let your baby sleep in cot alone. you are all in the same room isnt it? i wanted to move my girl to another room but was feeling a bit bad to throw her inside an empty room haha. seems so lonely..

yea regina, my girl also sometimes does what your son is doing when she was sleeping alone in her cot last time.. she always stand up n cry and dont want to be put back to cot.. so i let her sleep in between me n hubby but i cannot sleep well as i keep worrying that she will be crush by us or roll down the bed... n she will kick n punch me in her sleep!

chiro, my girl now dosent stand up on her bed or our bed dont know why. but then when she was sleeping in her cot alone, she often stood up crying in the middle of the night n want to be put in between us...after we somehow co sleep, her night cryings stop as well as she can always crawl out to us if she wants to thus no need to stand up and cry hehe. anyway i think you can try. there are ppl who move baby to their own room after 1yr old successfully so i think moving him to cot is worth a try. i didnt want to co sleep at all cos i want my girl to be able to sleep in her own bed by herself.. now she is not yet sleeping through the night thus i let her sleep in her cot joined to our bed.. once she start to sleep through the night im gonna move her cot away! whahahha. since she dont need the milk anymore... n shall put back the other side of her cot so she will be back to HER cot all alone again hehe
STAND in her cot?! i think i must keep a lookout cos ds loves to stand. though now he still cant master the tactic to stand with support but i think must lower his cot soon haha..

ya i also scare ds become roti prata so if ds slp with us, i will volunteer to slp on the floor! LOL!!

cmeilim

we moved ian from sarong to his cot when he was 3.5 months old. usually i will nurse him in my bed seated upright and then put him back into his cot to sleep. but on some nights when i am really tired and sleepy, i will nurse him lying down and we will both fall asleep like that. then there are also nites when he's cranky and won't sleep in his cot after being put back. in order for my hubby, baby and i to get enough sleep and to remain as good neighbours, i will bring ian back to our bed and let him sleep in between us. he's usually able to sleep soundly for the rest of the nite.

ditto to the hits, punches, knocks and kicks from a co-sleeping baby, but if these get us more sleep, we don't mind. as for squashing baby, my hubby is an XXL and I am an L. our bed is just a queen size bed. ian's fine after four months of occasional co-sleeping, so i guess we're doing fine. =)

annie

i always end up with whole body muscle ache as i dun dare to move when my girl is sleeping beside us or because she is sleeping in strange position (horizontally in between us which makes a H letter), i cant sleep well n end up in an awkard position thus muscle ache the next day so i dun really enjoy putting her in between us even though it means lesser wakings for her n us at night..

isabelandrew

I used to let my bb sleep on the playpen. She doesn't like it. I think the room was too warm and she cannot feel the fan flowing. It was difficult to get her to sleep well.

We shifted her when she was about 4months to our bed. Coupled with the reason it has my smell (I bF), she slept very well. But.. we suffered. She sleep like a little "X". She sometimes stick very close to me or my hubby. Some nights, we were so scared to crash onto her, we both cannot sleep well.

We decided to join our single bed to our queen sized bed. The sad thing is - my hubby get to sleep on the floor. The adv of co-sleep... bb sleep very securely and well. The disadv - the parents....

:) I'm training her to sleep by herself and it is working slowly.

When she is sound asleep, I shift her onto the single bed. So my hubby and I can sleep on our bed. She is used to having someone around - so she spent some time tossing..

I hope in no time, she can sleep on her own...

cmeilim

hi isabelandrew,

my boy too. he sleeps better on our bed cos the ceiling fan is directly above our bed. plus my smell from BF too. even when we turn on the aircon, his cot which is on the other end of the room from the aircon, still feels warmer than our bed. we installed a fan blowing towards his cot and the situation improved. so maybe you can try this too.

meiteoh

Eva has never co-slept with me except if we're at someone's place and it's too cold (before we moved to Singapore, we were in Switzerland). But she slept with me in the same room when she was young - in fact, her moses basket/crib was right next to the bed for the first month. She only slept on her own in her own room after the first month.

One of the pros about co-sleeping is the security BUT the biggest con is that for some parents, it can take a while to get your child to sleep on their own - as per what many parenting books say, even the Sears. The trouble begins when the child resists the separation - some parents have it easier because they just "kick" their children out of the marital bed, but if you have a daugther like my hubby's friend who can't sleep on her own at 5 years old, it's tough, especially more so because they are trying for a 2nd child. :S

The European concept (hubby's side of the family) has always been that children sleep on their own (in a crib/bed) and in their own room. It's to teach them independence and privacy (for both the parents and the child).

isabel, maybe when you co-sleep with her, try to give her a soft toy so she can equate that toy with security. That's what I do with Eva - from the start, I left a plushie cow (and a few others) with her in the crib. Over time, she begins to understand that it's always there and it's comforting. I went to Bali recently, and she slept rather well - we'd give her the cow, she'd take it, hug it and then fall asleep while holding it - all in a portable crib of her own. Maybe you can explore that idea.

Last edited:

Ting

hmmmm, pin has been co-slping with us since NB..
well, cos my dad gv away her BRAND NEW cot to his fren... (dun ask me why, makes me angry!!)
n also, no extra room for her to slp by herself.
but sometimes if she is tired, she wil go to the room n slp by herself.

diymummy

My baby has been sleeping alone since birth in his baby cot.

We also bought a baby monitor so that we can hear him cry from our room.

isabelandrew

hi isabelandrew,

my boy too. he sleeps better on our bed cos the ceiling fan is directly above our bed. plus my smell from BF too. even when we turn on the aircon, his cot which is on the other end of the room from the aircon, still feels warmer than our bed. we installed a fan blowing towards his cot and the situation improved. so maybe you can try this too.
thanks. i think it is too late :) we removed her playpen. now she sleep on the mattress we placed on the floor.

She still looks for someone (warmth) sometimes.

I am hopefully she will change.

At least, she play herself when she wakes up in the morning.

But my little fellow wakes up at 6.30am , EVERYDAY!!!

cmeilim

my boy does that sometimes too, wakes up very early and then he will play by himself in his cot. we place soft toys on four corners of the cot, plus he has two mobiles above him, and his leapfrog toy strapped on it. so he has many choices to keep him occupied.

haffa

hello mummies..

I guess based on feedbacks given by mummies here...i m more assured to let my baby sleep in her cot. Initially, i felt bad about letting her sleep on her own but after reading wat mummies wrote here i will definitely try. :)