Comfort Sucking

Vone

Hi Mummies,

Do you experience comfort sucking from your babies? My baby kept wanting to suck ... Made my parents , and in laws (whom are not agreeable to breast feeding) thinking that my breast milk is having problem (too diluted tats why baby not full) How do u solve the problem? Do u give pacifiers? (I refuse to give) Please advise

Last edited:

Bumbo

I also refuse to give pacifiers. I have tahan-ed for 7 mths liao and it just seem so wasted to suddenly introduce pacifiers now. What you should do it feed baby before he starts crying.. That way the in laws will not heart pain to see their precious crying...:Dancing_wub:

once my bb finished nursing and has gone into the comfort sucking stage, i will unlatch.
She will protest but i distract her by walking around and singing to her.
I do not give her the pacifier too.

And when my mum or MIL comment abt her being hungry, i'll tell them that she is not, just grouchy.

I don't bother about the comments of milk to thin, milk not enough blah blah blah... i know my bb better.

justmint

when my family tot like yours, I told them BM is better for baby & doc encourage us to BF. that they have nothing to say liao..hehehe

i also tell them I know the difference between really drinking or just comfort sucking. so if he is just comfort sucking means he had enough. Plus it help give us more milk to provide for bb! nothing bad. ^ ^

Vone

when my family tot like yours, I told them BM is better for baby & doc encourage us to BF. that they have nothing to say liao..hehehe

i also tell them I know the difference between really drinking or just comfort sucking. so if he is just comfort sucking means he had enough. Plus it help give us more milk to provide for bb! nothing bad. ^ ^
Haha ya ! :) I jus let him suck for comfort ! And refuse to give in to pacifiers :D

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
I let my parents and parents in law try pacifiers... they usually became flying projectiles! LOL! I usually responded to hunger cues before the crying started and didn't really have an issue with comfort sucking for the first year or so. After the first year, I would try distract the bb especially if we were outside. Sometimes it really isn't comfort sucking that is needed but attention, a drink of water or simply a cuddle and kiss.

elaine01

No pacifiers allowed & FM @ home!

ILs all insist I get a pacifier to shut him up when he kept crying & didnt know what he want. ALso keep saying i should get FM cos cannot forever give him BM.

To date, I let all these fall on deaf ears..........:Dancing_tongue:

In fact, my 1st nanny tried giving him when he gets cranky after his vacs but he simply spit them out.

Bumbo

My parents dun understand why i dun want to give pacifiers a try. For my 1st one i gave and had the worst time trying to get him to quit it! So the 2nd I am very determined. heheh I mean 8 mths no paci already very wasted to intro it now right? And after 12 mths, it is actually recommended that they do not use pacis at all..

So now the problem is comfort sucking which leaves me stuck beside baby :) oh well.. the joys of breastfeeding..

By the way, any of you notice the same thing happening: The more i bf, the colour of my nipples like fading.. It has faded sooo much that the aerola is almost the same colour as my skin colour.. So look in mirror like no nipple colour.. alamk I dunno how to describe lah...:tlaugh:

Vone

my parents also dont understand why i dont want to give pacifier. My ds kept wanting to suck his thumb and he has a strong urge for sucking. sometimes after feed he will still want to suck .. till vomit milk am i over feeding him? sighs

Dont know if i should give in to pacifiers anot :(

Last edited:

Pink daisy

I think it's quite normal, my bb oso hates pacifier/bottle, so i let him sucks till he asleeps at nite but when going out i'll have a water bottle ready just to quench his thirst. Planning to skip bottles altogether and introduce cup soon

Vic

Pls excuse me but can i knoe what's so bad about pacifier? Cos pacifier has already been introduced to baby and my hubby swears by it cos that he's only way of pacifying baby...

stonston

my mum kept threatening to buy pacifer to stick in his mouth when i'm not home!!

well, we have gone past tt stage already....at tt time, my mum kept asking is it my milk not enough (cos i'm extremely skinny)...or is it cos i so picky abr food my milk not nutritious enough....
then i was quite angry with her for saying tt...i told my hb at night when he came home...then my hb went to talk to her nicely....told her actualli i have alot of milk (alot of pump out n store also)...jus tt lactation consultant from hospital say baby jus love mummy too much so wanna suck longer...so it is normal...n he also explain to her e more baby suck, e more milk is produced....

then my mum understood n kept quiet....n she was very supportive after tt...she even bought a chest freezer for us to store the milk so i can continue to BF when i'm at work :)

sometimes u jus need a 'neutral' party to explain to them...n use someone of 'authority' to shut them up too...

must understand, their generation was 'brain washed' by milk formula companies....so most of them gave up bf when it was too tough (painful, 'not enough milk', tired, etc etc)....
then now we have so many gadgets to help us to persevere in BFing! my mum was so amazed at the electric pump she jus sit beside me n stare at my boobs shooting milk out...she said if they had such gadgets last time, me n my siblings would be breastfed for very long too!

Vone

my mum kept threatening to buy pacifer to stick in his mouth when i'm not home!!

well, we have gone past tt stage already....at tt time, my mum kept asking is it my milk not enough (cos i'm extremely skinny)...or is it cos i so picky abr food my milk not nutritious enough....
then i was quite angry with her for saying tt...i told my hb at night when he came home...then my hb went to talk to her nicely....told her actualli i have alot of milk (alot of pump out n store also)...jus tt lactation consultant from hospital say baby jus love mummy too much so wanna suck longer...so it is normal...n he also explain to her e more baby suck, e more milk is produced....

then my mum understood n kept quiet....n she was very supportive after tt...she even bought a chest freezer for us to store the milk so i can continue to BF when i'm at work :)

sometimes u jus need a 'neutral' party to explain to them...n use someone of 'authority' to shut them up too...

must understand, their generation was 'brain washed' by milk formula companies....so most of them gave up bf when it was too tough (painful, 'not enough milk', tired, etc etc)....
then now we have so many gadgets to help us to persevere in BFing! my mum was so amazed at the electric pump she jus sit beside me n stare at my boobs shooting milk out...she said if they had such gadgets last time, me n my siblings would be breastfed for very long too!
Haha Stonson ! My mum is so against bfing when i request for her to give ebm to my ds she will comment frozen bm will cause wind etc to baby. Then she even threw away my ebm =( sighs...

elaine01

too bad none in DH's family is on neutral standing although DH 'seems' supportive. all i can do is to nurse when ds demands. the rest of the remarks, let them fall on deaf ears...........:Dancing_tongue:

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
nothing majorly wrong with pacifiers... just personal preference.

there have been studies that say it affects the development/placement of the front teeth... but there are other studies that disagree... so go figure.

Personally, I just hate the sight of toddlers/preschoolers still running around with pacifiers in their mouths. Plus I don't want the bother of trying to wean them off it. And I'd prefer them to explore using their mouths instead of just sucking on rubber all the time. But that's just me. :)

Bumbo

Vone:

My ebm also kenna thrown away cos they say it separate so spoil liao. sian.. Anyway, now my son 9mth + liao. I quitting,

Vone

sian hor!!! :( kanna thrown away keep saying diluted etc etc. then nvm still say to my baby "poor thing sooo skinny".... no milk to drink" im so angry