Comparison between different phonic systems

juice

I bought the Ants on the Apple Cd from Singapore at $24.90

from an online store...

sorry if this msg appears a couple or times.. I replied to the msg a few times but it keeps on disappearing so don't know wats wrong... hope this mess stays...

juice

I remember too that POPULAR used to have the montessori materials..

Now I buy online from Right To Learn ..
Their prices are reasonable compared to the other stores with exorbitant prices ...

cmeilim

hmmm but the feedback abt the quality of MMI materials from Right to Learn Seems mixed....there's a mummy on the motherhood forum selling china-made MMI family and professional kits. i dunno whether to buy from her or not. since they are manipulatives, they have to withstand tear and wear.

juice

Just checked the BP on montessori materials.. some of the prices are so much higher than Right to learn prices,,,
just wondering .. aren't BP prices supposed to be lower than the market rate... just my 2 cents worth... LOL ...

another thought... if there are any damages or defects ! how!!! do they allow exchanges or refund!!!!

Yinnie

I am a huge fan of Jolly phonics and am thinking of getting a full set for my daughter. In fact Jolly phonics is used by most international schools here and heard its highly effective.

My daughter goes to Colourful hearts and they will be rolling out phonics programs next month. I am thinking that I will send my older boy there as he really has no idea about letter sounds :/

I've heard gd things abt jolly phonics. Seems quite effective. My sis, who's a teacher, thinks letterland is quite dated. She said zoo phonics is not bad, but can be a bit confusing with all the animal pictures, and some teachers may tend to focus too much on the actions and the songs.

Anyway all phonics have the same purpose i think - to help kids learn the letter sounds n how to pronounce words. most important is for us parents and their teachers to speak proper english to them, read aloud to them n also encourage them to read aloud. some learn faster than others, so just keep encouraging them!

my boy took a while to pick up the letter sounds but now much better. my mum teaches him at home n i also try to read to him every nite. sometimes tiring after work, but both hubby n i try cos we think it's v important. sighz, not easy!!

MsKoh1973

My girl and niece of 5 yo, started phonics lesson at Kent Ridge since 3 yo, but the teacher not beri good, always late for lesson and mix the class together, so we w/d.

early last yr, they attended the "I can read" think is the playgroup, late last yr upgraded to PRP, soon they will be upgrade to the actual ICR. so far, not much materials were given and we oso dun noe what they learn in school, ask them to read, they both blur like sotong, so we actually decided to change to other place.

then early Jun, we oso sign them up again for the Kent ridge phonics class at TPY. after 2 classes, they like reading beri fast. then fair enough, the teacher told us, they could have learnt quite alot from ICR, but becos there is no materials, we unable to reinforce learning or chx what they learn, the KRT has books, so now we noe their progress.

think maybe as a result of attending both ICR and KRT at the same them, they showed great progress. the ICR teacher told us mayb next month, they can be upgraded to the next level.........

the ICR actual is like quite different fr phonics, the KRT phonics is a one yr course, so we have intented to keep both.

suekyai

Zoophonics Kit

Hi,

Any mummies know where I can purchase a Zoophonics Kit? My son is attending classes at GUG but they no longer sell the kit.

Thanks