Comparison between different phonic systems

cmeilim

Hi everyone

I realised that different enrichment centres and childcare centres teach different phonic systems - Jolly Phonics, Alphabet Zoo, Zoophonics, Letterland, etc? They all have slight differences. Eg, Jolly Phonics teach the sounds not letter names and teach with actions, Letterland links sounds to letter names with characters, Alphabet Zoo and Zoophonics use animals....

Any feedback on which system is a more effective way of teaching phonics or easier for kids to learn? Pl share freely.

camom

I don't have much to share on the sys u mentioned. My gal's 1st CCC uses Letterland. Anyway she wasn't there long enough to learn much. :001_302: I dont't know how true but I've heard that the tunes are different for each alphabet.

My gal was taught using MMI's method cos she attended MMI. Monte's method is to teach basic 1st sounds with the same catchy tune, like Ants on the Apple X, X, X (3 times), X is the sound of A; Balls are bouncing, X, X, X (3 times), X is the sound of B (where "X' denotes the phonetic sound). Then move on to ending sounds, diagraphs, blends, phonographs, sound boxes, 3-parts cards (pink, blue schemes), etc.

I also supplement with online resources like Starfall.

Last edited:

momoftwo

My personal favorite phonics system is the collection of 3 DVDs which are the Letter Factory series! They are extremely popular here in the USA as they are proven to work marvelously and the kids as young as 2.5 - 3yrs old will love these DVDs with their catchy songs. It is not confusing at all for the kids!!! I also use the Hook-On-Phonics to complement the Letter Factory DVDs and with both of these tools, I am able to get my 4 yr old start reading Dr Seuss books independently : )

stonston

My boy attended ZooPhonics before. He did not find it interesting as they sang the songs so quickly that he did not catch the words. There are activities but it's thematic, so no link to the sound that they learn that lesson.

He's now learning Letterland Phonics at Tumble Tots. My son learnt alot more here. & he readily sings the songs as and when he likes. The class is a little slow paced for the benefit of other children who are not exposed to phonics like my boy. I like the activities that link back to the sound. Like they made an octopus with plastic bowl and crepe paper when they learnt the sound of O.

At home, we let him watch phonics DVDs. We've got many different ones and he one he likes best is Leapfrog Letter Factory. They also have Word Factory (blending) and Code Word Caper (special sounds, silent Es). He learns alot from these DVD too.
We supplement with our own flashcards (I have DIY ones & Hooked on Phonics) and some websites which are FREE.

jojoki

the MMI method works perfect fr my baby she knows how to sing along to it after listening to it fr months. If i sing "ants on the apple" she will go "ah ah ah". But she can only produce the sounds for "A", "B", "F", "M" and "H" at the moment.

jojoki

i got from ebay soo exp... saw the same one at mph msia for rm 20 plus... i bought from nafisa.

cmeilim

camom

My MMI set is still in very gd condition today, despite fairly heavy usage by my toddler gal more than 5 years back. I also loaned it to a friend to use with her son.

jojoki

My MMI set is still in very good condition today, despite fairly heavy usage by my toddler gal more than 5 years back. I also loaned it to a friend to use with her son.

camom where do get ur montessori materials from? ive gt some from ebay seller (j***) before but the materials are quite inferior for the exorbitant price...

cmeilim

really i did not even read the comments haha! well hav to wait fr it to arrive first. glitter is fine with me also actually cos my baby likes glitter hehe!
how much do the cards cost you, incl shipping? i hv no experience buying from amazon before and always wonder if the shipping will be too expensive.

M

michaelramson

I am a huge fan of Jolly phonics and am thinking of getting a full set for my daughter. In fact Jolly phonics is used by most international schools here and heard its highly effective.

My daughter goes to Colourful hearts and they will be rolling out phonics programs next mth. I am thinking that I will send my older boy there as he really has no idea abt letter sounds :/

camom

camom where do get your montessori materials from? ive gt some from ebay seller (j***) before but the materials are quite inferior for the exorbitant price...

Sorry sorry, I didn't come back to this thread till today. I got them eons ago from popular but they don't carry that anymore.