constant gastric discomfort in first trimester

joyliaw

hi there,

im 9 weeks preg with my second baby.. somehow this pregancy is very different from my first and i hope to get some advice on whether there are certain food or drinks that can help me pull through better..

i've been having gastric discomfort/pains/ since 3-4 weeks ago.. starting of the second month.. it was really bad.. it started with bloatedness.. den i couldnt eat at all.. den the gastric pain sets in.. and since ive a bad history of gastric prob.. the pain extended to my back during those episodes.. somehow these things happen for 24/7..

tot i would die from the discomfort and pain.. subsequently, i tried munching every hr.. it helps a little.. but my gastric still feels queasy constantly..

my gy advise me take veragel to help reduce the acid.. but it does not work.. i even puked out gastric juics.. pure gastric juices a few times.. and its like half to one hr after i last nimbled on some snacks..

im getting tired of the constant eating and the constant queasiness i feel in my gastric.. wonder if any mummys exp tt too? over produce of gastric juice during pregnancy.. and what can i eat.. food or drinks.. to help relieve the gastric discomfort?

thx..

jasobias

Hi i too had terrible gastric pains in my 2nd pregnancy.They were so bad tht i cld imagine stabbing myself.Since i was throwing up alot i was put on a drip.I also went through a gastroscopy but they didnt find anything wrong n said it was just a pregnancy thing.But after the drip i felt tonnes better. My gynae told me tht the drip helps lessen this nausea feeling.So i wld suggest if ur nausea gets worse just admit urself to hospital for a drip.
I tried to take small bites of biscuits n milk but during tht period nothing cld help with the pain.
Hang in there if u can..gets better after 2 nd trimester.

xicloudix

I also have gastric problems and same like you, very xin ku, sometimes whole day lie on the bed cannot move coz pain, it will be better in the 2nd trimester....

My gynae gave me some med for gastric (liquid one) but told me not very gd for baby, i tahan until cannot tahan then take... but after which i request for pill form, i think effect not that gd but it won't affect the baby...

drink more warm water and sit straight (so air can come out from stomach and u won't feel so bloated), eat crackers, it will be better in 2nd trimester

iwan2noe

hi there,

im 9 weeks preg with my second baby.. somehow this pregancy is very different from my first and i hope to get some advice on whether there are certain food or drinks that can help me pull through better..

i've been having gastric discomfort/pains/ since 3-4 weeks ago.. starting of the second month.. it was really bad.. it started with bloatedness.. then i couldnt eat at all.. then the gastric pain sets in.. and since ive a bad history of gastric prob.. the pain extended to my back during those episodes.. somehow these things happen for 24/7..

thought i would die from the discomfort and pain.. subsequently, i tried munching every hr.. it helps a little.. but my gastric still feels queasy constantly..

my gy advise me take veragel to help reduce the acid.. but it does not work.. i even puked out gastric juics.. pure gastric juices a few times.. and its like half to one hr after i last nimbled on some snacks..

im getting tired of the constant eating and the constant queasiness i feel in my gastric.. wonder if any mummys exp that too? over produce of gastric juice during pregnancy.. and what can i eat.. food or drinks.. to help relieve the gastric discomfort?

thx..
Hi joyliaw,

I agree with xicloudix, if possible, do not take any medicine. I think she is referring to antacid which I took when i visited my GP for the same gastric prob like u. According to him it is not harmful, but recently i realise it is not as true. There something else when pregnant ladies can take or do to help alleviates gastric problem. Let me try to check it again and let u know if i can find it. try to take enuff fluid to help 'neutralised' the acidic of ur stomach so that it will not feel so acidic thus causing ur the gastric problem.

U r right to nimble, but u must be careful of what u nimble on. Esp, u cant take dried fruits or fresh fruits as they are generally acidic in nature. Like what xicloudix mentioned, u can munch on some crackers to let the acidic juices of ur stomach work on at least better than if they are working on nothing to make ur stoamch churn even worst and making u feel the gastic pains.

There is a liquid form med that u can take. It is sometimes advertised in the TV, I cant recall the brand but it shows firemen putting out 'fire' in the gut/stomach. Do try to look out for this brand. it is not vengral as u mentioned. All in all, play safe, and ask ur gynae for safe and right medicine to take b4 u take any med... =)

What i posted here is my views and opinion.. Hope it helps! =)

Take care and i hope ur gastic will go away like wind :)
HUGS!

joyliaw

thx everyone for replying.. im having those pains again.. and im taking juz 1 tab of veragel coz its reali v painfull..

gy did say its safe..but coz i used to have very bad gastric prob due to bad eating habits (i kept skipping meals in my younger days) tts y veragel has lost effects long ago.. but im trying out of no choice..

thx.. i feel better knowing im not alone.. i'll see if i can tahan de.. my gosh.. its reali horrible.. eat also pain.. no eat also pain.. dunno wat the hell is wrong.. thx for letting me know of the drip and gastroscopy (which sounds super scary) ting.. i'll def keep tt in mind and if i reali cannot bear w it i'll juz admit myself le..

3 more weeks to ending 1st tri.. i'll try de.. i juz constantly worry tt i'll develop gastric ulcer from the constant biting feeling.. ughz..

thx ladies..

xicloudix

I threw the liquid med away already, currently the pill form one is Actal, but i heard if you see gp outside/ polyclinic they will give you antacid... there are alot of med avaliable, some are suitable for preggy some not.... so better to ask before taking

iwan2noe

hi iwan2noe,

i just got a liquid medicine.. is it the one you mentioned? - DHALUMAG..
Hi joyliaw,

I was given antacid liquid med to relieve my pain. According to my GP it is safe. It did help to ease my pain. But the best way, naturally i think is to drinks plenty of PLAIN water, rest well and eat properly...

If u are given DHALUMAG, i believe it is safe. U can try if it work for u.
OK?

Pls take care. I gone thru the pain and it is not a good feeling...

ladies, you must watch your diet too. no matter how uncomfortable dont keep your stomach empty, have frequent snacks and smaller frequent meals.
also eat food thats easy to digest and avoid spicy, fried, oily and acidic foods.

iwan2noe

Hi all,

i adapted this article from Today Motherhood.
Do read on if u suffer from Heart burn..

Hth :)

Thirty to forty percent of pregnant women suffer from pregnancy heartburn caused by the slipping of digestive acids through the LES (lower esophageal sphincter) back into the esophagus.
The weight of the baby adds pressure on the stomach causing the LES not to function well.
Many people regard it as a normal part of pregnancy but the truth lay unheard that there are many easy ways to relive the woman from heartburn discomfort.
The following are just a few of the many ways to relieve yourself from heartburn:
  1. Be aware of what you eat and drink which bring in signs of heartburn. Take note so you will not indulge on them again.
  2. Analyze your lifestyle and recognize aspects of it that trigger heartburn attack.
  3. Split meals into smaller ones. Eating smaller meals is better than having one or two large meals a day. Whatever food or drink which you have identified with periodic heartburn should be eliminated in your diet. However, you might want to consult your doctor before doing so because some of them might be important to your pregnancy. The doctor can suggest food substitutes for you to still acquire the nutrients which you need.
  4. After each meal, it is advisable that you refrain from laying down or sitting back with your feet in a raised position. This invites the food to travel back to your digestive track.
  5. When you sleep, you should see to it that your head is elevated 4-6 inches high. You can make use of anything to raise it particularly two pillows placed on top of each other.
  6. Make it a habit to chew gum or to suck some candies to maintain saliva production. The presence of saliva neutralizes the acid in the body. Furthermore, the saliva hinders any acids from rising up from the stomach.
Heartburn is indeed a factor that adds up to the burden and discomfort which a pregnant woman undergoes. Aside from body changes and pains, heartburn is one pregnancy dilemma which should not be ignored. Instead, the pregnant woman can do something to ease her feeling by following the above-mentioned methods in dealing with pregnancy heartburn.

Phoebii Cheng

If you really feel uncomfortable when you sleep, try not to sleep on your back, sleep sideways it might help with the gastric discomfort

angelwendy

Actually for me is beginning don't have gastric discomfort... onli now... cause now reach 3 tri liao... so worst... but i think don't eat too much spicy food.. & food that will cause wind should be ok.. u can try ginger tea also..:001_302:

jonshon

Good hints you have given to gastric discomfort during pregnancy period. It is also right divide your big meal into small meals and intake some yogurt before meal.

perlynper

i have the exact same problem and i understand how you feel, i can't even sleep well at night constantly feeling like i'm starved due to the gastric juices. sometimes the gastric juices even back flow to my mouth when I sleep at night.

i am going through the exact same problem. i used to experience the problem in the day too and i have now managed it, so now i only experience the vomitting at night.

here's what I do,
1) first thing, after i brush my teeth, i eat some biscuit or bread(toasted is best)

2) eat constantly, every hour if possible, small portion(bread, bee hoon, kuay teow, mee sua soup, porridge)

3) drink very hot water, seep a bit , less than half a cup through out the day.

4) avoid chilli (my favorite), anything sour, tomato, chocolate, coconut e.g laksa, cabbage, raddish (white vegetables that causes more air in your gastric)

5) the antiacid medicine that i use when it's at worse for me at night is Gaviscon. It is safe for pregnant mommy. I vomit all my dinner and can't keep anything down at all in the evening. So Gaviscon helps the acid juice.

6) i also went to see this chinese sinseh that helps me with my day vomiting. cos it was so bad for me that i was vomitting up to 6 times or more a day. It has improved since I see this doctor. His name is Mr Lim , address No. 5 Siang Kuang Ave Singapore 347923, near macpherson road.
call them before you go. no. 9894 4107 (Mrs lim is the one who will pick up the phone, just ask her if they are available and if you can go down to visit their clinic)
they are open from Tuesday to Sunday 10am-12pm, 2 to 5pm and 6-8:30pm.

Note: he will ask you to eat very simply, no oily, less meat.Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

cyee

hi mummies... i'm 6 weeks preg.. this is my 1st bb... i also having the same problem as u all... gastric discomfort and bloatedness. I endure for about a week then call gynae.. he also recommended me Gaviscon. Its works for me.. I only took 1 pkg on Yesterday & feel very comfortable today without taking it again.

cyee

hi mummies... i'm 6 weeks preg.. this is my 1st bb... i also having the same problem as u all... gastric discomfort and bloatedness. I endure for about a week then call gynae.. he also recommended me Gaviscon. Its works for me.. I only took 1 pkg on Yesterday & feel very comfortable today without taking it again.

fuyumi

It is stated on the Gaviscon bottle that it is safe for pregnant woman and I use it for all my gastric problem. Works well. :)

Sheepsdream

This is a lifesaver thread! I'm having bad MS & I puke gastric juice every morning coz my stomach is so overly productive in gastric juice at night even though I snack in the middle of the night too.

Just bought some gaviscon double action to try! Hope it works for me too!!