Coping with the heat

meiteoh

Hubby and I just moved with our newborn from Europe and while it's summer there (and hotter than here - believe it or not), our baby isn't quite used to the humidity and all.

She's still adjusting but I like the make the transition smoother - don't really want to shove her into an aircon room 24/7. :S

Was wondering if any of you mummies can share how you get your newborn to cope with the heat and humidity.

Ting

u're in sg now??
hmm, agree with ace, can cool her with the fan, maybe open up the windows for better air circulation.
maybe wipe her body more often n wear thinner clothings.:)

uddermummy

when dd is perspiring, i let her go topless...

but i make sure there's no wind blowing directly at her.

or will put her in sleeveless rompers and stand in front of fan.

meiteoh

Ace: My new place is on the 10th floor and the owner doesn't have any fans installed...I wonder if it'll be windy enough.

Ting: Yeah, just arrived on Wednesday. Am hunting for her stuff and a gynae for myself. I didn't buy much thin outfits coz cotton onesies overseas can be quite thick. Am hoping to get some good deals at the Taka Baby Fair.

Uddermummy: Would those mesh tops be a good idea for hot days?

Also, wanted to ask you mummies - when taking your little ones out with baby carrier/sling, how do you dress them? Coz outside, it's hot but then when entering any place with airconditioning, it can get cold. :S Do you carry things like socks and mittens??? Or just let them be?

Frenchkitty

Hi Meiteoh, welcome to Sunny S'pore with your lovely family:001_302:
For me, I cant take heat very much so I turn on the aircon 24hours for my son. He is 3mths old.
On not-so-hot days, I turn on the fan full blast.

When going out, I just dress him normally - jeans & T-shirt or rompers with leggings/booties. Cos we drive and once we park we enter the cold shopping malls and rarely stay out in the sun long enough.

stonston

Which part of SG you staying in? Maybe mummies can recommend gynae.

Weather wise it's good to on the fan to rotate, maybe get a normal standing fan from the hypermarts :) Air circulation is more important :)

You might need to wipe her more often with damp cloth to cool her down. By the way, babies are very adaptable. She'll adjust very fast, dun let her get used to having aircon :p

uddermummy

mesh tops should be fine. :)

I usually just dress dd in a short-sleeved romper cos I'll prob end up carrying her in the sling.

She perspires a lot in the sling, even in freezing air-conditioned shopping malls.

I just make sure that she has her socks on. And if we put her in the stroller, will just put on extra leggings for her if she's feeling the chill.

meiteoh

stonston: Me will be at Bedok Reservoir. Am thinking of checking out Bedok Poly. Went to the new place yesterday and decided that we really do need some fans so am getting some stand fans later. Yeah, don't want her to get too used to aircons...I don't print money. :p

uddermummy: Cool...so far, I've just been leaving her in the usual cotton onesie and she's doing okay. Need to keep a lookout for those mesh tops though - HB changed his mind about going to the Taka fair so I might have to get them from hypermarkets and such. :(

Ting

Ace: My new place is on the 10th floor and the owner doesn't have any fans installed...I wonder if it'll be windy enough.

Ting: Yeah, just arrived on Wednesday. Am hunting for her stuff and a gynae for myself. I didn't buy much thin outfits coz cotton onesies overseas can be quite thick. Am hoping to get some good deals at the Taka Baby Fair.

Uddermummy: Would those mesh tops be a good idea for hot days?

Also, wanted to ask you mummies - when taking your little ones out with baby carrier/sling, how do you dress them? Coz outside, it's hot but then when entering any place with airconditioning, it can get cold. :S Do you carry things like socks and mittens??? Or just let them be?
wow~ tts cool! welcome!!! ( or welcome back??? hahaha)
well for your question, best to wear clothings tt cover the shoulders n knees, n also the feet. tts where the "wind" enters n babies will catch a cold. frm what my mum told me tt is.
well, most of the time if im shopping, i will be in the air condtioned places, so no worries~ haha. even if we step out, also a while only. :p

meiteoh

I've upped her number of baths per day from one to two - one around 10am and another at 3pm coz today was particularly hot for her. She couldn't/didn't want to nap and was fussier than usual plus she suddenly developed heat rash (she didn't even have it this morning!!!).

I had to change her into her usual house clothes instead of the Pumpkin Patch outfit I bought yesterday. I also closed all the windows and doors except her room and turned on the aircon in order to cool the room down. In Europe, during summer when it gets warm (when I left Lyon, the hottest there was 38 C), people close the windows and curtains to keep out the hot air & sun in order to maintain a cool environment.

Ten minutes later, she was sleeping. Haiii...

uddermummy

that's what i do too. I close all the windows just and turn on all the fans, and sometimes the air con cos it's really, really warm on the ground floor!