Curious..

Hi all,

is it true that when a woman had become a mummy.. the social circle of friends seems to get smaller and smaller? I really wonder cause this is what happening to me.. it like really scary... my bundle of joy came to me 4 months ago.. then i realized that my world seems to change.. everything is about my baby.. and i used to have 'la kopi' session with friends but not anymore cause i got to rush back to look after my baby.. bringing her out is one alternative.. but every time when i bring her out for the whole day.. the babysitter had a hard time looking after her the next time.. she will cry non-stop and i know this an be irritating..

when i try to tell my friends abt it.. they dun seem to understand..in fact i had lost a close friend because of my baby.. sob..sob...

what should i do?

camom

Of course... my gatherings with my close friends got further apart cos I was the only mommy then. What we did was communicate thru email, MSN and smses mainly. I think people drfit apart if an effort is not made with the relationships.

Now most of my close circle of friends are mommies themselves so we have lots of common topics to talk abt. But we mommies also got to remind ourselves not to hog the conversation with snipperts of our babies.

Ting

yeah u sure tend to drift apart from your frens after u hv a child.. in fact after u r married, u will start to focus more on marriage n family.
i believe it is inevitable.
i feel that ur close fren is not sensitive enough, perhaps when she has her own kids, she will understand.
among my frens, only me n another close gf of mine hv kids.
others r still single n not married. we dun meet up often..
maybe once in a few mths only, n we dun even sms/msn much.. cos everyone is busy with their own lives, work,study, bf/gfs.
but we do try to update each other n make an effort to meet up if one of us organise a gathering. :)

TANZHENZHI

I think it's quite normal. As i also have a few close friends but only me get married with baby. We also try to organize gathering once in a few mths. There was once we arrange a meet-up but i couldn't make it as my son was sick that day, so my friend was v angry with me and keep saying i'm a super areoplane queen. But i dun mean it then until now she didn't speak to me as she's angry wit me for not attending the gathering. Anyway for me, family if more impt. I'm sure she'll understand one day when she's married wit family. Really upset sometimes when your close friends dun understand you after so many years of friendship.. :tsad:

epicurean

Hi venia_plena,

Actually it's the opposite for me ... when my special needs baby was born, my circle of friends became closer and expanded to include new friends. I couldn't go out much coz it's really challenging to bring my boy out with all his medical conditions. My friends have taken the approach of "if Mohammed can't go to the mountain, the mountain will go to Mohammed" :001_302: They visit regularly, with tea & snacks in tow, so we would do tea at my place while catching up. We sms often ... I try to go out with them from time to time to take a break while hubby looks after our boy.

I think the fundamental thing is effort on both parts based on the desire to continue, nurture and sustain the friendship.

angelwendy

For me i feel that same way too.... now i'm nearly 34 weeks preggy.. & is stay home... but guess wat?? no frenz ever ask me out lei....:eek:15::eek:15::eek:15::eek:15::eek:15: onli 1 or 2 frenz only will bother to ask this pregnant lady out for coffee... cause i think my frenz will think that alot of place i cannot go.. so won't ask me also.. which i think is quite sad la... but wat to do?? actually even my best friend before i preggy untill now also see me 2 times onli... i think is all because i'm among the more early to have baby... they r all still dating & some study... so life is totally diff... i don't blame them.. but i'm glad that i join this forum to know more mummy.... & they r all my new & understanding frenz...:Dancing_wub:

So i feel that don't get too upset about this... when ur frenz start to have kids of their own.. they will feel the same way as u now.... & also my mind always think of my family & my boy now.. so they don't really bother me..

For me i feel that same way too.... now i'm nearly 34 weeks preggy.. & is stay home... but guess what?? no frenz ever ask me out lei....:eek:15::eek:15::eek:15::eek:15::eek:15: onli 1 or 2 frenz only will bother to ask this pregnant lady out for coffee... cause i think my frenz will think that alot of place i cannot go.. so won't ask me also.. which i think is quite sad ... but what to do?? actually even my best friend before i preggy untill now also see me 2 times onli... i think is all because i'm among the more early to have baby... they are all still dating & some study... so life is totally diff... i dont't blame them.. but i'm glad that i join this forum to know more mummy.... & they are all my new & understanding frenz...:Dancing_wub:

So i feel that dont't get too upset about this... when your frenz start to have kids of their own.. they will feel the same way as you now.... & also my mind always think of my family & my boy now.. so they dont't really bother me..

Hello Angelwendy mummy..

Congrats to you.. :) guess u are very excited now and looking forward to your bundle of joy.. :)

haha..thanks for the comfort i guess u are right maybe when they have kids on their own they will be able to understand better..cause i m the only mummy among my frends.. glad to know you here.. when will you be due.. everything well prepared liao ma?

I think it's quite normal. As i also have a few close friends but only me get married with baby. We also try to organize gathering once in a few mths. There was once we arrange a meet-up but i couldn't make it as my son was sick that day, so my friend was very angry with me and keep saying i'm a super areoplane queen. But i dont mean it then until now she didn't speak to me as she's angry wit me for not attending the gathering. Anyway for me, family if more impt. I'm sure she'll understand one day when she's married wit family. Really upset sometimes when your close friends dont understand you after so many years of friendship.. :tsad:
hello zhen zhi..

i am in the same plight as you.. and i had tried my best to explain but to no avail.. it quite sad actually cause afterall we know each other for more than 10 year.. so i find a bit 'ke xi' lor...

family is important but if can strike a balance it would be the best.. cause at least i can have some time off for sole myself..

angelwendy

Hello Angelwendy mummy..

Congrats to you.. :) guess you are very excited now and looking forward to your bundle of joy.. :)

haha..thanks for the comfort i guess you are right maybe when they have kids on their own they will be able to understand better..cause i m the only mummy among my frends.. glad to know you here.. when will you be due.. everything well prepared ?

Yup i'm very excited.... glad that u don't feel so upset anymore... mine edd is 1 march.... still got a but of things haven buy...

:001_302:

camom

I think it's quite normal. As i also have a few close friends but only me get married with baby. We also try to organize gathering once in a few mths. There was once we arrange a meet-up but i couldn't make it as my son was sick that day, so my friend was very angry with me and keep saying i'm a super areoplane queen. But i dont mean it then until now she didn't speak to me as she's angry wit me for not attending the gathering. Anyway for me, family if more impt. I'm sure she'll understand one day when she's married wit family. Really upset sometimes when your close friends dont understand you after so many years of friendship.. :tsad:
*pat pat*

I am also an aeroplane queen. I think my friends got used to it.. for our last gathering, I didn't turn up cos one of my kids came down with a viral infection. I rather skip the gathering then take the chance & spread the virus to someone else. For the many times I didn't turn up for our appts, they are all due to the kids.

I think if you ask any mommy, they will also do the same thing.

lynnie85

For me i feel that same way too.... now i'm nearly 34 weeks preggy.. & is stay home... but guess what?? no frenz ever ask me out lei....:eek:15::eek:15::eek:15::eek:15::eek:15: onli 1 or 2 frenz only will bother to ask this pregnant lady out for coffee... cause i think my frenz will think that alot of place i cannot go.. so won't ask me also.. which i think is quite sad ... but what to do?? actually even my best friend before i preggy untill now also see me 2 times onli... i think is all because i'm among the more early to have baby... they are all still dating & some study... so life is totally diff... i dont't blame them.. but i'm glad that i join this forum to know more mummy.... & they are all my new & understanding frenz...:Dancing_wub:

So i feel that dont't get too upset about this... when your frenz start to have kids of their own.. they will feel the same way as you now.... & also my mind always think of my family & my boy now.. so they dont't really bother me..

My dear,I do agree wat u say! I guess this is normal.. Most of my frenz are also either studying or working..so sometimes, it's not easy to communicate with them and to make them understand our plight...Only mummies will und mummies...and honestly, i enjoy and feel much happy talking to mummies as we have so much to share and agree on..while to frenz, i usually have to tune into their thots and things they talk abt...like topic like where they are going to spend their valentine day wif, movies they watched,etc..sometimes they do bored me out or sometimes juz feel that going out wif them make me feel upset as i dun have my personal free time anymore...although true that i have no much free time, i'm still glad i've my boy...as he's always the best gift ever:bbiggrin:

Oppsgal

hello zhen zhi..

i am in the same plight as you.. and i had tried my best to explain but to no avail.. it quite sad actually cause afterall we know each other for more than 10 year.. so i find a bit 'ke xi' ...

family is important but if can strike a balance it would be the best.. cause at least i can have some time off for sole myself..
Maybe should call asap before hand to let them know cannot make it for gathering so they wont make a wasted trip. For me I think after have bf, friends will have less. Friends might think too busy "paktor" so dont dare to disturb...

DodoTan

Actually, really good firends no need to meet so often still can maintain the friendship one. After we all grad from sch, be it sec, jc or uni, and everyone started working, already started to have gathering less often. Usually during hols or so. After some of us got married and had kids even less. Some of my friends and I only meet once a year or once every 2 years. But in between will sometimes exchange emails or sms-es to see how each other are doing.

During uni, a group of us formed our own choir. Even after most of us started working, still managed to keep the choir going and meet once a week for practice. Even managed to do at least 1 performance a year. Then 3 couples in the choir got married. Then all 3 couples had kids within a few months of each other. Hahaha.. then the choir finally stopped singing. How to practice and perform when 5 out of 6 mummies and daddies all in the choir? hahaha...

Yup i'm very excited.... glad that you dont't feel so upset anymore... mine edd is 1 march.... still got a but of things have not buy...

:001_302:
wow..just in about 8 weeks time..your baby will be out to see the world..:) 3 cheers for u :)) i do feel upset but i hope that they will understand one day.. and not to worry i will be able to find a group of understanding mummies friends just like u..hee.. not to stressed..if you need my help let me know.. me will be more thn glad to help :p

Actually, really good firends no need to meet so often still can maintain the friendship one. After we all grad from sch, be it sec, jc or uni, and everyone started working, already started to have gathering less often. Usually during hols or so. After some of us got married and had kids even less. Some of my friends and I only meet once a year or once every 2 years. But in between will sometimes exchange emails or sms-es to see how each other are doing.

During uni, a group of us formed our own choir. Even after most of us started working, still managed to keep the choir going and meet once a week for practice. Even managed to do at least 1 performance a year. Then 3 couples in the choir got married. Then all 3 couples had kids within a few months of each other. Hahaha.. then the choir finally stopped singing. How to practice and perform when 5 out of 6 mummies and daddies all in the choir? hahaha...
hello dodo..

guess you are right.. it not about the qty it the quality of time...and most importantly is the how one maintain & sustain the friendship maybe for me and my friend the quality is not there...

diymummy

Hi all,

is it true that when a woman had become a mummy.. the social circle of friends seems to get smaller and smaller? I really wonder cause this is what happening to me.. it like really scary... my bundle of joy came to me 4 months ago.. then i realized that my world seems to change.. everything is about my baby.. and i used to have ' kopi' session with friends but not anymore cause i got to rush back to look after my baby.. bringing her out is one alternative.. but every time when i bring her out for the whole day.. the babysitter had a hard time looking after her the next time.. she will cry non-stop and i know this an be irritating..

when i try to tell my friends about it.. they dont seem to understand..in fact i had lost a close friend because of my baby.. sob..sob...

what should i do?
Hi venia,

Yes, I tend to not meet my non-married/don't have children friends less because baby takes up most of my time.

What I do is sometimes (like once every 2 mths) I get hubby to watch baby for a night while I go out. Most times, I get my friends to visit me.

It's true that they don't understand how tired we are and what we go through and our limitations. What I do too is try to update my facebook as often as I can so that they are also in touch somewhat.

mummy85

it happens to me as well .. worst still my parent 1 mi 2 take care of my kid instead of going out have fun .. said i had enough fun .. its not fair .. but in order for me to enjoy a day on my own i had to lie alot to em .. its not fun to do such a thing but bo bian ..

angelia286

:embarrassed: Same here. I used to be out everyday on kopi sessions with my many different groups of friends. However, once I became pregnant, i got excluded out of many activities and they stopped asking me out. Reason being that they don't want to take responsibility if anything happens to me.

To me, that is just excuses! Anyway, it's alright.. Cause from these incidents, we can most probably see who is our real friends and who are not? Cause those friends who really missed me took their time and the trouble to come by my house for kopis. Unlike those who only knows how to make excuses. Lol.

adelynn

i think i'm quite lucky (to a certain extent) i have friends who both 'disappeared' during and after my pregnancy and friends who 'stuck' by and made a special effort to 'keep me included' during my pregnancy.

My office gang have regular drinking and dinner sessions to un-wind after a stressful period or event and during my pregnancy i was dragged along despite me automatically excluding myself due to the big tummy. They even had 'non-alcoholic night' so that i won't be left out. (and if you are wondering, some of them are non-locals; which may explain the difference?)

but of course i need to play my part in putting in effort to participate and politely excuse myself if i feel i'm not up to it.

I guess its the personality of the friends around you and how they view you/the pregnancy.