Votes: 21 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Not yet but intend to

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

apollo

Re: the 1st shave

i didnt shave ds's hair when he was 1mth old cos i felt that his head was too 'fragile'. so i let him shave when he reached 4mth old. i went to a kids salon at katong. 10bucks. and the lady who shaved ds's hair is VERY gentle. if u wan more info can PM me =)

PinkDiamonds

I didn't shave DD's head at 1month either because I didn't see the point.

But I shaved at 4 months because her scalp was very itchy and I wanted to see clearly what's going on. I DIY with a lady's shaver.

After I shaved my mum told me there is some significance to shave the baby's head at 4 months, not sure what it is though.

helloo...
well my mother helped my son shaving his hair on the 3rd week after he was born. we are muslim and we believe that we should clean the baby as in shave the baby hair asap. and after the umbical cord drops, it should be buried. It is good for baby. so my mother shaved his hair. but i heard from many others that they waited till the baby grow up. but i disagree with this as my baby scalp is very dry. so as we shaved early now his head is ok . but still sometime he itchy himself...

Pwiincess

Any mummies who don't bring their babies to shave at all? Will it affects their hair growth?

Any significance to shaving babies hair bald, be it 1st or 4th month? Is it mainly due to religious beliefs?

meiying

i shave my #1 when we celebrated the 满月 (first month) celebration.. my mum say hokkien will shave the bb during first month and/or (i forgot if its and/or) 4th mth.. din shave again on the 4th mth.. she say this is also to make the hair more evenly grown, which is true for my #1 as he has quite little hair at birth... we wana make a calligraphy pen with his hair, so engage the service from HUA XIA TAI MAO BI, they come up to our house for free shaving... its quite scary seeing them shave the little baby hair but they are very experience in shaving.. so i will do the same for my #2 on this sunday.. but #2 got quite alot of hair, hope his hair will become more bushy after grown..

however my fren shave her girl and end up her girl back part of her hair grow faster then her top, end up her top part was quite bald till she turn abt 2 years old... :elvis:

100%

Alpha Male

So other than making the "Chinese calligraphy pen" which i dun really like... any special innovative thing you all did to those 1st shaved hair?

yan2

Any mummies who dont't bring their babies to shave at all? Will it affects their hair growth?

Any significance to shaving babies hair bald, be it 1st or 4th month? Is it mainly due to religious beliefs?
My girl didn't shave at all since she was born till now she is 2.5yrs old...only trim abit nowadays because touching her eyes. I dun see it will affect their hair growth.

The only thing i think of for those babies who shaved, their hair texture will be different from those who didn't shave.

newbie2009

Any mummies who dont't bring their babies to shave at all? Will it affects their hair growth?

I have yet to shave or trim my son hair. He is currently about 2.5mths.

Y is it I see the magical number "4months" to shave the head? Any particular reason to shave on the 4th month?

drmoomoo

Shaving of baby's hair

Hi mummies, where did you bring your baby to shave their hair? Will they struggle for help? :embarrassed: I am going to shave my gal's hair soon but really, I am not sure where I should bring her to and am afraid that she will be hurt in the process... :elvis:

By the way, did any mummies use their baby's hair to make a brush (mao pi)?

cmeilim

Re: Shaving of baby's hair

one of my boy's distinguishing characteristics is his thick curly mob of hair since birth. it naturally sweeps up like a wave, a la Elvis Presley. strangers everyone we went will would just come up to him to say hi, compliment and stroke his hair. we don't bear to shave it. just did a little trim when he was turning four months old. will do a little trim again for his baptism next month. we just took him to the normal hair salon. very cheap - only $4 or $5, i think. =)

as for the brush, we of cos didn't do it. but i cut a lock of his hair before the first trim and have been keeping it together with the stump from his umbilical cord in a little silver case, for memento. =)

TANZHENZHI

Hi drmoomoo, I didn't shave my son hair as his hair was very little since birth. Only when ard 6months then i trim his hair a little. The process is fast and he was very good to let the auntie trim his hair. For me i bring him to those housing block down stair to trim his hair. I also keep his 1st haircut together with his umbilical cord as a memento. ;)

hakisumi

i also wanted to trim my son's hair when he is sleeping..
cos his hair touches the ear..
i dun wanna to shave 1st.. after CNY den i shave him..by that time he's almost 3-4mth old

drmoomoo

Hi drmoomoo, I didn't shave my son hair as his hair was very little since birth. Only when around 6months then i trim his hair a little. The process is fast and he was very good to let the auntie trim his hair. For me i bring him to those housing block down stair to trim his hair. I also keep his 1st haircut together with his umbilical cord as a memento. ;)
My gal's hair also very little. Feel sad that that very little hair grown is going to be shaved off... :shyxxx: Then, people will think she is a boy again...

PinkDiamonds

I shaved my girl's hair on my own with a lady's razor. My husband sat her on his lap and distracted her with a rattle while I did it. I took quite long cause I had to be careful with it, and also after a while the hair got stuck on her scalp so I had to wash off the hair before shaving again.

The hair just got washed away we didn't make it into a brush cause didn't know got such things. And her hair was really sparse and short too.

i shave my son's hairs when he juz turn 1mth coz i wan his hair to faster grow back. but end up his hairs only grow back in certain areas, not the whole head, so my MIL n relatives ask me go shave his hairs again n let them grow back. his aunt (gu-gu) also bought a pair of shoes for him but his hairs still dun grow back.

i brought him to this shop call hwa xin at harbourfront centre for tis 1st hair cut n they kept the hairs for me in an ang bao. i din make into mao pi, coz feel no pt. it cost me $16. now i now neigborhood salon only $4-5, i wont go there again. repeat hair cutting service cost $10 at hwa xin. i m going to shave his hair again tomorrow at neighborhood salon tis time .. hehe

Feliz

Issit a must to shave bb hair? My gal hair alot, "bu se de" want to shave her when she turn one month leh.. issit possible??:err:

Ottermum

I personally think it's better to shave bb's head...though most of my friends also don't...

my mum told me bb who doesn't shave his head cannot go into temples...

we shaved Yuzhe's head cos we wanna do the 'scholar brush' with his hair...when he's 4 months old...

today we just brought him to the salon for another shave...my god he cried like mad!!!

Last edited:

CanCanMum

my mum told me baby who doesn't shave his head cannot go into temples...
bolaaa...where got such saying deee??? lols

anyway baber is still shaving his head now......botak now, yesterday juz shaved....:p

coz once he sweats, his whole head is wet...

pehong

In Chinese Tradition, shave hair in Full Month 满月, means the whole life for the BB will be 圆满, means will have a complete life, so call a good life. As shave at 4th months is 双满月, also the same meaning. For the BB who going to pray in temple in full month also advisable to shave the hair and eyebrown. Why ? we also not very sure. It just like ppl say when lady have period, not encourage to go temple. I think it is the same meaning.

However, for the new generation, we have to think more modernly. To shave the head have 2 main reason, 1st. if the BB head is still not very round, we can view very clearly after shave. Try to massage to make it rounder. 2nd. to reduce chances of having cradle Crap (happen when too much hair & sweat,especialy at the humid weather in Sin and will cause the bacteria infection).

Morever, the BB hair will start droping after 3rd month and re growth a new hair.

oh... so its not a must to shave the bb head?
sorry first time mom here :)
my bb girl is coming in aug.. and i contemplating whether to shave or not... cos hope my bb to have very long and thick hair..