Do phonics classes really work?

JJDad

Hi mummies n daddies,

has anyone of u tried any phonics classes for ur kids before? Do the classes really works, as in any improvement in their speech?

diymummy

My son watches the LeapFrog Letter Factory DVD. Now he knows all his phonics.

He has a bit of problems with multi-syllable words but with phonics in mind it is easier to teach him how to pronounce properly.

JJDad

My son watches the LeapFrog Letter Factory DVD. Now he knows all his phonics.

He has a bit of problems with multi-syllable words but with phonics in mind it is easier to teach him how to pronounce properly.
where did u buy this dvd from? does it comes in a set or is a single disc?

apollo

ds is also watching leapfrog dvd and he learns his aphabets there. Though he still cant recognise all 26 alphabets but he can recognise a few and make the right sounds. do i think phonics does helps esp if u're sending ur son to proper phonics class..

diymummy

where did u buy this dvd from? does it comes in a set or is a single disc?
I bought it from singapore motherhood forum. Comes in a set. Letter factory, Talking word factor (where they teach you vowels and show you how to join words) and Going to school (this one my son hasn't started watching).

My son also has a lot of alphabet books so that helps in letter recognition as well as sequence. You also need to do reading with them and emphasize phonic sounds and get them to try to pronounce recognisable words so that they learn how phonics all come together.

My challenge now is when 1 letter has different sounds. Eg, C is "ker" as in Cat. But when it is spelt in Circle, the first C sounds like S. So my son is quite confused. :x

Bayu

Hi there mummies..

I am a first time mummy and a panic one also.. :biggrin: I'm one of those mummies who would want their baby to be able to read at a very young age.. to be able to learn very fast but I am also considering the amount of stress I will give to my baby too..

My baby is now 9 mnths old and i've been trying to show him flash cards with alphabets and numbers. My hubby told me not to pressure him too much by showing him all the alphabets and numbers altogether... the thing is he doesn't like to sit too long watching dvd or cartoons.. the most is 10 mins or so or when they play songs.. he will kind of dance to it.. at the moment I just borrowed books and dvds from the library.. I need to know how long can i sit with my baby to read or just watching and enjoying those dvds like leapfrog dvds and others.. and secondly, when is the ight age for babies to enter phonic classes..??

JJDad

I bought it from singapore motherhood forum. Comes in a set. Letter factory, Talking word factor (where they teach you vowels and show you how to join words) and Going to school (this one my son hasn't started watching).

My son also has a lot of alphabet books so that helps in letter recognition as well as sequence. You also need to do reading with them and emphasize phonic sounds and get them to try to pronounce recognisable words so that they learn how phonics all come together.

My challenge now is when 1 letter has different sounds. Eg, C is "ker" as in Cat. But when it is spelt in Circle, the first C sounds like S. So my son is quite confused. :x
dun worry, they will slowly differentiate it when they grow older. my son now also cannot differentiate between "M" and "W" as well as some capital n small letters

stonston

Then it's time to move on the Code Caper...
They do teach the 'exceptions' in phonics in that DVD :)

stonston

Hi there mummies..

I am a first time mummy and a panic one also.. :biggrin: I'm one of those mummies who would want their baby to be able to read at a very young age.. to be able to learn very fast but I am also considering the amount of stress I will give to my baby too..

My baby is now 9 mnths old and i've been trying to show him flash cards with alphabets and numbers. My hubby told me not to pressure him too much by showing him all the alphabets and numbers altogether... the thing is he doesn't like to sit too long watching dvd or cartoons.. the most is 10 mins or so or when they play songs.. he will kind of dance to it.. at the moment I just borrowed books and dvds from the library.. I need to know how long can i sit with my baby to read or just watching and enjoying those dvds like leapfrog dvds and others.. and secondly, when is the ight age for babies to enter phonic classes..??

I started flashcards with my boy at 3mths.

It's never too early. They learn and absorb much faster than we expect!