Do you circumcise your boy?

foscom

Hi foscom
Thanks for this useful info. My son is now 10 months' old, do you think it is too late? As he is starting to crawl I'm worried that it may cause pain to him. Actually I should have circumcised him when he is 1 month's old, but at that time only my husband and myself is taking care of him (no helpher) and I've always been busy and this keeps dragging on and on and suddenly 1 day I noticed, how time flies, he's already 10 month's old.

I will discuss with my husband again and hopefully get it done soonest possible.
Hi Gummi,

I think you can still use the plastibell method at 10 months. I think it starts to gets a bit difficult over 12 months. The moving round will not be a problem, my friend did her son at 9 months without any issues at all, and he was very mobile at the time.

The plastibell method involves placing a plastic plastic ring under the foresking. Surgical string is then tightly afixed around it on the outside of the foreskin. The foreskin is trapped between the plastic ring and the string cutting circulation. Best way to think of it is that it is like putting a rubber band tightly around your finger. The plastic ring with the foreskin drops of in a day or two. The proceedure takes about 5 mins and involves little cutting, and no stitching. Your little one will not notice it at all. When the ring drops off in a day or two the wound is more or less healed.

If you leave it longer the plastibell method will not be available and the proceedure will involve cutting the foreskin off and stitching up the wound which will be more complicated, risky, and painful.

Cresent clinic is the best place. It cost about $100 and this includes the followup, which makes sure everything is ok. Cresent clinic looks like a something from the 1970's but it is the best place for this operation in terms of experienced doctors and cost. My friend called the clinic and they did the proceedure the very next day.

Let me know how everything goes, keen to hear an update from you.

Gumi

Hi foscom
Thanks so much for all these infos. Earlier I've called up the clinic and they oso told me is ok to circumcise at 10 months' old and after the minor op. they will prescribe painkillers and it won't cause any fever.

Will update on this thread again after this. Mummies in this forum are indeed very helpful :biggrin:

foscom

Hi foscom
Thanks so much for all these infos. Earlier I've called up the clinic and they also told me is ok to circumcise at 10 months' old and after the minor op. they will prescribe painkillers and it won't cause any fever.

Will update on this thread again after this. Mummies in this forum are indeed very helpful :biggrin:
Good luck let me know how it all turns out.

JTAN

Hi foscom
Thanks so much for all these infos. Earlier I've called up the clinic and they also told me is ok to circumcise at 10 months' old and after the minor op. they will prescribe painkillers and it won't cause any fever.

Hi Gumi,

I just booked in at the Crescent Clinic and will bring my son for circumcision on Saturday.

I noticed you plan to do it for health reason like me. Just wondered whether your family and hubby have done it? The reason I ask is that no one in my family has done it and hubby has not, so wondered if there are many people in my situation that just think its best to do for their boy even though its not been done before.

Gumi

Hi Gumi,

I just booked in at the Crescent Clinic and will bring my son for circumcision on Saturday.

I noticed you plan to do it for health reason like me. Just wondered whether your family and hubby have done it? The reason I ask is that no one in my family has done it and hubby has not, so wondered if there are many people in my situation that just think its best to do for their boy even though its not been done before.
Hi JTAN

Fyi, yes my husband has his circumcised at the age about 5 to 6 years' old though for hygiene purpose. I've got a brother, but he did not do it cos I think back in those olden days, our parents are not aware of such things and they may think it is not necessary. However, if we are educated enough to know the advantage, I think it is good to do so cos it will help our dear son to reduce unnecessary germs or virus due to our neligient and especially when they grow older they will be able to take care of it properly as well.

I've got a male colleague who has told me that he got his circumcised as well and is due to hyiene purpose which he said it is recommended to do so and has advised me to bring my son for this too.

Do keep us posted on the outcome, yea?

JTAN

Hi JTAN

Fyi, yes my husband has his circumcised at the age about 5 to 6 years' old though for hygiene purpose. I've got a brother, but he did not do it cos I think back in those olden days, our parents are not aware of such things and they may think it is not necessary. However, if we are educated enough to know the advantage, I think it is good to do so cos it will help our dear son to reduce unnecessary germs or virus due to our neligient and especially when they grow older they will be able to take care of it properly as well.

I've got a male colleague who has told me that he got his circumcised as well and is due to hyiene purpose which he said it is recommended to do so and has advised me to bring my son for this too.

Do keep us posted on the outcome, yea?
Thanks Gumi,

Your hubby Chinese Singaporean? My hubby and I are typical Singapore Chinese and I don't think circumcision was done purely for hygiene in the past, that's why we don't know anyone in our family who did it, and thats why I'm a bit nervous getting it done. Anyway, after your email I feel a bit better about our decision.

Tomorrow is the big day for our son. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

Gumi

Hi JTAN
Yes, my husband is S'porean chinese.
Actually what made me decided to let my son go for circumcision was when my colleague's son got infection when he was in Primary 4 and as at that time the charges she told me were much higher than what we have discussed in this forum. Offhand I can't remember how much but is definitely not cheap.

Please share the experience with us soon.

JTAN

Hi JTAN
Yes, my husband is S'porean chinese.
Actually what made me decided to let my son go for circumcision was when my colleague's son got infection when he was in Primary 4 and as at that time the charges she told me were much higher than what we have discussed in this forum. Offhand I can't remember how much but is definitely not cheap.

Please share the experience with us soon.
Hi Gumi

On Saturday I brought my son for Circumcision. The Crescent center looked really old, and I was a bit worried at first. Once inside the staff were helpful and the doctor very experienced. The doctor first asked me why I wanted to do it, and he agreed it was better to get it done as young as possible. He then took my son, and in less than 5 mins he returned with my son. I thought he forgot something, but actually it was all over. I was amazed, it was like nothing happened. My son did not cry at all, and went to sleep on the way home. They gave me some light pain killers, but we did not use then as he was fine, sleeping, eating, and generally happy. On Tuesday I go for a followup. We paid $100, which includes the medication and followup.

I strongly recommend this clinic, and I strongly recommend bringing your son for circumcision as soon as possible after birth. When are u planing on going to do it?

Last edited:

rhay

after readin reviews here about dr tahir, ive decided to get it done for my baby tiz friday
went to e clinic on friday mornin, reg & evrythin took less than 20mins. bb was not cryin aft came out fr doc's room but cried ltr aft we reached home & i gave him painkiller.......then he went to sleep....

yday went agn for a check-up & doc said dat hes ok & we shd await til e ring come off by itsef within 4-5days time.....

Gumi

Hi JTAN
Glad to hear that your worries are finally over. I assume the service should be very good over there that deserves so many recommendations as well as yours.
Btw, is your son comfy after this minor op.? I'm definitely sure that I'm bringing my son there too, most probably b4 the CNY and his birthday.
We should trust mummies here in this forum cos they do provide very good advices.

Gumi

went to e clinic on friday mornin, reg & evrythin took less than 20mins. baby was not cryin after came out fr doc's room but cried ltr after we reached home & i gave him painkiller.......then he went to sleep....

yday went agn for a check-up & doc said dat hes ok & we should await til e ring come off by itsef within 4-5days time.....
Hi rhay
I think different babies react differently and btw is he OK today?
Really motivated by you guys here...definitely going there very soon.

JTAN

Hi JTAN
Glad to hear that your worries are finally over. I assume the service should be very good over there that deserves so many recommendations as well as yours.
Btw, is your son comfy after this minor op.? I'm definitely sure that I'm bringing my son there too, most probably before the CNY and his birthday.
We should trust mummies here in this forum cos they do provide very good advices.
HI Gumi,

Actually it is like nothing happened. He is totally normal. You can only tell it has been done from the ring on his bird, which should fall of in a week or so. He is as comfy as he was before the procedure.

I strongly recommend Crescent, and I agree you should do before CNY. I wanted to do it before CNY, and I glad I did. I feel a burden has been lifted and I can go into CNY without any worry on my mind.

Please share your experience with other mummies on this site. It will be useful to have your perspective on how it all goes from making the appointment, the procedure, and post operative care.

Gumi

Hi JTan
What time did you brought your son to the clinic on last Saturday and before that you called up to make an appointment? And can i assume there is the only 1 and only doctor there which is Dr Tahir? Thank you.

JTAN

Hi JTan
What time did you brought your son to the clinic on last Saturday and before that you called up to make an appointment? And can i assume there is the only 1 and only doctor there which is Dr Tahir? Thank you.
Actually for small babies not need to make an appointment, but I did because I was only free to do it Saturday morning.

There are a number of doctors their all equally experienced in the procedure. Lots of mummies go there to do this I met several on the day.

I suggest you call up the clinic today asked any remaining questions you have, and make an appointment on a day which works best for you. Once you take the step of making the appointment it all falls into place. The staff are very friendly.

Let me know how you go...