Do you pump strictly every 3 or 4 hours?

Ashbaby

I find it a hassle to pump strictly every 3 or 4 hours. I tend to end up pumping every 5 or 6 or even 9 hours instead. Cuz, in the morning, we're usually very busy - have to feed baby, change his diaper, bathe him, etc. Then I have to eat breakfast, yadda yadda yadda. I have other things to do during the day, too. And before I know it, 3 hours have passed and I have not't rested yet and it's almost time to pump again. But I'm still very tired then. So, I tend to delay pumping. Selfish of me, I know, since breast milk is best for baby. I'm worried about my milk supply drying up too. But I'm usually too tired and hungry to pump exactly every 3 or 4 hours. I have no choice but to pump, though, since my baby, who's 2 months old, refuses to take my breast. He screamed every time I tried to get him to suckle directly, except when he was too young to be aware, so I've given up direct breastfeeding.

I'd like to know: are there mothers who pump strictly every 3 or 4 hours, and how do you do it? Are there others who procrastinate, like me? Or have any of you sworn off breastfeeding altogether and only feed formula?
Maybe a LC can solve your problem. U can asked them to help u latch on properly so u dont have to pump.

wittygirl81

I try to pump every 3 hours when my baby doesn't latch or finish feeding. I had very sore and sensitive nipples so pumping is actually more comfortable than direct latching.

I guess no matter how tired I am, I try to psych myself to do it as it is best for my child. Keeping that in mind, perhaps you will be more motivated and disciplined to pump.

Good luck!

snowbear

In the first month of bf, my dd refused to latch and so i expressed for every feed. That meant that I expressed every 2.5hr-3hrs coz that's when she needed milk.

It's tough to have to pump for every feed... i understand becoz i hardly got any rest during that first month - so much for resting during confinement! :p But to me, as long as I knew I was giving her the best, I just did what I had to do. Btw, I looked aft bb on my own so I know that time just flies by and sometimes you don't even know what you've done in that couple of hours! lol.

Press on! :)

I pump 2 times a day, morning and night time as I can't pump during office hours.
I do face same problem as you during I was on maternity leave (first 3 months). I will tried my best to pump out my breastmilk no matter how tired and hungry I was because I know breastmilk is good for baby. So I hope can give him as much as I have.

Yes, felt terribly engorged especially first few time. However, after few times, then i think my breast get usual already.
I got no choice, i not allowed to pump my breastmilk during the office hours, and also not suitable place to do so.
However, if you can try your best to do. Always think this is good to your lovely baby.

I'm now doing my confinement with the help of a CL. Though she has made my work a lot more easier, but I find expressing milk every 2.5 to 3 hrs tiring all the same. I had to set alarm to remind myself. But I tell myself to persevere and that breast milk is the most valuable gift for my ger. So far, the longest time I hadn't express BM is 5hrs cos I overslept. But then again, it's only the 17th day since dear daughter was born. Who knows how long I will be able to keep at it when the CL leaves?

But zenmoonflower mama, we must jiayou! Since a lot of other mothers can do it, so can we! And my biggest inspiration comes from my mother who BFed my 2 elder brothers and myself. She said, what to do? Even if the breast/nipple pain still got to feed you guys!

Only for the first month... Now express, but didnt keep to strict hours... average 6 hours once.... lazy, 8 to 10 hours once....

adelynn

during the early weeks, it's important to keep up a regular cycle of pumping and/or latching on to stimulate supply. it's tiring i know, but think of what other chores u can drop during this period and just focus on you and baby :).

when i returned to work after my 3 mths ML i had no choice but to drag my pumps but i did it gradually. I started with 3x pump sessions in the office and slowly drag to 2x pump sessions. I found that overall regardless of the no. of pump sessions i do in the office, i get more or less the same amount of milk. so i guess supply has kinda stabilized?

decollette

When i was doing confinement, i pumped every 3 hrs also, without fail. Though i had a gd confinement lady, it was also very tiring. I had a decent amount, though my bb is a big drinker, hungry every 2 hrs or less.

What i do to keep goin is to set goals, first aim to provide my bb bm for 3 mths, which i finally did! Next up, is 6 mths. Hope to make it to 6 mths exclusive bfeeding. Each time ifeel tired, i remind
myself that since im now a sahm, my focus is on health n well being of my child, so i shall do wat it takes to make it worthwhile and we all know bm is best for babies. When bb goes for vaccination n doc check, and he is at a gd weight n healthy n thriving, that will be your motivation n sense of accomplishment!

Im now into 4th month of exclusive pumping, at nights when my bb slp thru i pump without fail at 3 or 4 am to keep supply going. By the 3rd month, i find my supply somewhat stabilised, therefore drop one pump in the day, so far its ok. You can do it too! Just look at your bb abd think of all those antibodies u are giving to him or her at each feeding. Gd health of our little one is so very impt, right?

flyaway

When i was doing confinement, i pumped every 3 hours also, without fail. Though i had a good confinement lady, it was also very tiring. I had a decent amount, though my baby is a big drinker, hungry every 2 hours or less.

What i do to keep goin is to set goals, first aim to provide my baby breast milk for 3 mths, which i finally did! Next up, is 6 mths. Hope to make it to 6 mths exclusive bfeeding. Each time ifeel tired, i remind
myself that since im now a stay at home mum, my focus is on health n well being of my child, so i shall do what it takes to make it worthwhile and we all know breast milk is best for babies. When baby goes for vaccination n doc check, and he is at a good weight n healthy n thriving, that will be your motivation n sense of accomplishment!

Im now into 4th month of exclusive pumping, at nights when my baby sleep thru i pump without fail at 3 or 4 am to keep supply going. By the 3rd month, i find my supply somewhat stabilised, therefore drop one pump in the day, so far its ok. You can do it too! Just look at your baby abd think of all those antibodies you are giving to him or her at ea
ch feeding. good health of our little one is so very impt, right?
for mummies that pumps once or twice a day, did u manage to pump enough? During my maternity leave, i had ample supply. Mostly latched on and excess were frozen so that i can use it when i return to work.

When i returned to work, my supply drops! My bb supposed to drink 600ml when i am at work but i can only pump 400ml. My frozen supply is running low and i hate to resort to fm. Trying very hard to build my supply.

I pump at least 2 times during work and 1 time when i go home. Any gd suggestion for me to build back my supply?

decollette

for mummies that pumps once or twice a day, did you manage to pump enough? During my maternity leave, i had ample supply. Mostly latched on and excess were frozen so that i can use it when i return to work.

When i returned to work, my supply drops! My baby supposed to drink 600ml when i am at work but i can only pump 400ml. My frozen supply is running low and i hate to resort to fm. Trying very hard to build my supply.

I pump at least 2 times during work and 1 time when i go home. Any good suggestion for me to build back my supply?
This is what i do: if i find my supply slightly dropping, twice it happened.. I add one more pumping session in the day or i pump for longer during each pump session. Usually even if i find my breasts quite empty already, i wait gor 5 to 10 min, go do other things, read or play with baby, then go back to
pumping i can get some more. Or i increase the intensity of the suction it helps too. Leaning forward n massaging during pumping helps too. Doing this consistently by the 3rd day i will see increase in my ebm by 350ml. I think tge trick is cos we empty the breasts as best as possible, so it makes more. I also read that if u wanna increase, keep pumping for 5 min or so even if there is no milk. It fools the brain into thinkin theres a hungry baby. In a few days, it will increase to meet demand. Hth.

flyaway

When i was doing confinement, i pumped every 3 hours also, without fail. Though i had a good confinement lady, it was also very tiring. I had a decent amount, though my baby is a big drinker, hungry every 2 hours or less.

What i do to keep goin is to set goals, first aim to provide my baby breast milk for 3 mths, which i finally did! Next up, is 6 mths. Hope to make it to 6 mths exclusive bfeeding. Each time ifeel tired, i remind
myself that since im now a stay at home mum, my focus is on health n well being of my child, so i shall do what it takes to make it worthwhile and we all know breast milk is best for babies. When baby goes for vaccination n doc check, and he is at a good weight n healthy n thriving, that will be your motivation n sense of accomplishment!

Im now into 4th month of exclusive pumping, at nights when my baby sleep thru i pump without fail at 3 or 4 am to keep supply going. By the 3rd month, i find my supply somewhat stabilised, therefore drop one pump in the day, so far its ok. You can do it too! Just look at your baby abd think of all those antibodies you are giving to him or her at ea
ch feeding. good health of our little one is so very impt, right?
for mummies that pumps once or twice a day, did u manage to pump enough? During my maternity leave, i had ample supply. Mostly latched on and excess were frozen so that i can use it when i return to work.

When i returned to work, my supply drops! My bb supposed to drink 600ml when i am at work but i can only pump 400ml. My frozen supply is running low and i hate to resort to fm. Trying very hard to build my supply.

I pump at least 2 times during work and 1 time when i go home. Any gd suggestion for me to build back my supply?

snowbear

for mummies that pumps once or twice a day, did you manage to pump enough? During my maternity leave, i had ample supply. Mostly latched on and excess were frozen so that i can use it when i return to work.

When i returned to work, my supply drops! My baby supposed to drink 600ml when i am at work but i can only pump 400ml. My frozen supply is running low and i hate to resort to fm. Trying very hard to build my supply.

I pump at least 2 times during work and 1 time when i go home. Any good suggestion for me to build back my supply?
Try to let your bb latch on for most/all feeds for the weekend when you are not working and latch bb on before work and after you get home. Baby's latch is better at stimulating milk supply.

Chk out this link too: kellymom.com :: I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?

icy_haze

Try to let your baby latch on for most/all feeds for the weekend when you are not working and latch baby on before work and after you get home. Baby's latch is better at stimulating milk supply.

Chk out this link too: kellymom.com :: I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?
I oso face the same prob of milk supply dropping while returning to work. Been back to the workforce for 2months. Normally I can pump 180 each
session but Recently can only pump ard 120-150ml each session. I latch my boy directly whenever I am at home n during weekends but the milk ss doesn't seems to come back. Now taking the fengunak pills. Been taking it for 3 days. Haven't really see results yet. Haiz. Am sad that my milk ss drops and have to resort to Supplement it with fm coz ebm all used up. Hope that my milk ss will increase again. Doesn't wanna give up on bfing.

icy_haze

Try to let your baby latch on for most/all feeds for the weekend when you are not working and latch baby on before work and after you get home. Baby's latch is better at stimulating milk supply.

I oso face the same prob of milk supply dropping while returning to work. Been back to the workforce for 2months. Normally I can pump 180 each
session but Recently can only pump ard 120-150ml each session. I latch my boy directly whenever I am at home n during weekends but the milk ss doesn't seems to come back. Now taking the fenugreek pills. Been taking it for 3 days. Haven't really see results yet. Haiz. Am sad that my milk ss drops and have to resort to Supplement it with fm coz ebm all used up. Hope that my milk ss will increase again. Doesn't wanna give up on bfing.

My decision to bf my son exclusively even before he was born cos it's the best gift I can give to him and also the benefits of breast milk.:wong29:
Therefore, no matter hw tired I am, I will pump at every 3 hrs if I can. The max I can stretch will be no more than 5 hrs so my supply will stil maintained. I'm a full time working mum and my workplace are deem not convenient to pump but I find ways to overcome it :Dancing_tongue:

iwan2noe

I find it a hassle to pump strictly every 3 or 4 hours. I tend to end up pumping every 5 or 6 or even 9 hours instead. Cuz, in the morning, we're usually very busy - have to feed baby, change his diaper, bathe him, etc. Then I have to eat breakfast, yadda yadda yadda. I have other things to do during the day, too. And before I know it, 3 hours have passed and I have not't rested yet and it's almost time to pump again. But I'm still very tired then. So, I tend to delay pumping. Selfish of me, I know, since breast milk is best for baby. I'm worried about my milk supply drying up too. But I'm usually too tired and hungry to pump exactly every 3 or 4 hours. I have no choice but to pump, though, since my baby, who's 2 months old, refuses to take my breast. He screamed every time I tried to get him to suckle directly, except when he was too young to be aware, so I've given up direct breastfeeding.

I'd like to know: are there mothers who pump strictly every 3 or 4 hours, and how do you do it? Are there others who procrastinate, like me? Or have any of you sworn off breastfeeding altogether and only feed formula?
My baby is 6.5 months old. I was latching her directly for the 1st mth and subsequently she is feeding on ebm. I pump every 4 hrly and this helps to keep the supply of breastmilk for her needs. I agree it is v hectic and busy for a 1st time mummy and i believe u are like me a 1st time mummy.

it depends on each individuals. If your breast is not very full at the end of 3 - 4 hrs, u may consider pumping every 5 hrs but by doing so u must ensure that the amt of ebm is enff for ur bb's feed. I used to be able to express 900-1100ml each day for her growing spurt period but as times passes by after i resume work i only manage to produce ard 800-900ml per day as i am only pumping 4 times a day..

Now that she is 6.5 mths old, i only manage to at most 500ml. So it is true that emb follows the supply 7 demand theory. When there is demand as in when u pump more, ur brain tells ur body to produce more milk thus more supply. When u pump less frequently, ur brain send a signal to ur body to produce less.

If u are not producing enuff or not pumping frequently, u may consider supplementing ur bb with FM. Like me, as my bb is beyond 6 mths, so we arestarting her on soild, thus supplementing ebm with formula as we are gg wean her off bm...

But do remb that at anytime if your breasts feel very full, pls pump it out, otherwise it may lead to many problems. keep your breast clean b4 and after expressing milk otherwise airborne virus/bacteria and moist enviroment is a good breeding ground for virus/bacteria to strive and may attack/cause ur breasts to be infected, leading to u having fever.

Just my sharings..Hope it helps! :001_302: