doctor's prescription can be changed?

annemom

Hi,
I just moved to Singapore two months ago and I took my 3 year old daughter to a private clinic for the first time. The doctor made a diagnosis of her condition, which is allergic rhinitis, and asked me to wait outside. then the assistants handed me a bill and a bunch of medicines. A couple of items included are over the counter medicine, and one of them I already bought, tried it on our daughter for decongesting her sinius, found it not very effective and my daughter did not like it. But since it was included in the doctor's prescription, I did not want to make a fuss and paid for it anyway. Then there was a cough medicine. When the doctor asked whether she coughs, I said only a little. I don't think we would give her the cough medicine since she does not cough much. We try not to use medicine unless very necessary. My question is, should I have returned the medicine to the clinic and ask them to take out the charges? would they have allowed this? i.e. do patients have a say on what to pay for? In the Philippines, they use the US system, the doctors only prescribe, and the patients purchase medicine from separate pharmacies. So it was usual for doctors to say, 'if you already have this, no need to buy'. In Hong Kong, the system is similar to Singapore, but the medicine can be generic, or taken from a large bottle in the doctor's pharmacy, since the fee is inclusive of the medicine. Here, consultation fee is separate from the medicine, and the doctor's pharmacy gives you whatever the doctor prescribes, right?

apollo

From what I know, medications are Non-refundable and Non-exchangable. Next time just tell the counter nurses that you alrdy have those medications at home. My pd will always ask me if I have those medications at home, if have, he will not prescribe to ds and even he prescribed and I only realise we have those medications at home when the nurse gave us, we will let them know before payment and they will let us pay and get whatever we need only. So far, both ds' pd and the nurses there will ask, esp they alrdy have a record of what medications they gave us previously. =)

Edwinie

Hi,
I just moved to Singapore two months ago and I took my 3 year old daughter to a private clinic for the first time. The doctor made a diagnosis of her condition, which is allergic rhinitis, and asked me to wait outside. then the assistants handed me a bill and a bunch of medicines. A couple of items included are over the counter medicine, and one of them I already bought, tried it on our daughter for decongesting her sinius, found it not very effective and my daughter did not like it. But since it was included in the doctor's prescription, I did not want to make a fuss and paid for it anyway. Then there was a cough medicine. When the doctor asked whether she coughs, I said only a little. I don't think we would give her the cough medicine since she does not cough much. We try not to use medicine unless very necessary. My question is, should I have returned the medicine to the clinic and ask them to take out the charges? would they have allowed this? i.e. do patients have a say on what to pay for? In the Philippines, they use the US system, the doctors only prescribe, and the patients purchase medicine from separate pharmacies. So it was usual for doctors to say, 'if you already have this, no need to buy'. In Hong Kong, the system is similar to Singapore, but the medicine can be generic, or taken from a large bottle in the doctor's pharmacy, since the fee is inclusive of the medicine. Here, consultation fee is separate from the medicine, and the doctor's pharmacy gives you whatever the doctor prescribes, right?
As far as I know, most hospitals and polyclinics use the US systems in Singapore.

You can check the medicine before you make payment and tell them which ones you do not need.

stonston

You should have told the doctor/nurse that you have the same med at home. They will simply advise on dosage/frequency and you need not pay for the items.

I personally find it more convenient for the clinics to stock meds, though might be a little cheaper to get from pharmacies. Imagine if you are looking after a sick child on your own and don't drive. How to go around to clinic, then still have to go to pharmacy which could be a distance away, while taking care of your child?

Next time, be upfront with the clinic that you have the meds at home. Then you won't have to pay for it.

And for safety reasons, medications is strictly NON-REFUNDABLE/EXCHANGABLE. It's a safety issue. Imagine if they sell you a bottle that was returned by someone else. Would you feel safe to feed your child?

annemom

thanks everyone for the replies. Next time I will be more upfront. btw, I never meant to say that I wanted to return the medicine after I took them home. At least I have that common sense.