Does anyone successfully express bm at an interval of more than 6 hours and ..

vane_etoile

still maintain supply? and How long hav you been doing that?

I have been expressing for 1 month (dd 2 months old) 6 hourly (4times a day), with around 280-320ml each session (both breast). I heard we shouldn't stop expressing for more than 4 hours. I m worried if this is true as I intend to extend to 9 hourly pump cuz its less tiring.. Any mom out there still manage to do it for a long time? Did u experienced any drop of supply? Thnks!

ahpei

for me, i have to express breastmilk at an interval of about 6 hours since 1 month ago, cos i'm back to work. Previously during maternity leave, i could have about 120 - 140ml every 3-hourly, but with a 6-hour interval, i have about 240ml, or sometimes, worst, can only reach 150ml from both breasts.....

sometimes at 6 hour interval, my breasts are engorged, and could hardly get anything out....:Dancing_furious:

snowbear

still maintain supply? and How long hav you been doing that?

I have been expressing for 1 month (dear daughter 2 months old) 6 hourly (4times a day), with around 280-320ml each session (both breast). I heard we shouldn't stop expressing for more than 4 hours. I m worried if this is true as I intend to extend to 9 hourly pump cuz its less tiring.. Any mom out there still manage to do it for a long time? Did you experienced any drop of supply? Thnks!
My sister In law expressed only twice a day and each time can get at least 500ml (total from both breasts). She did this for abt 6 months.

missblue18

Hi coz of my job, on some days i express only after 9 hours...so far the supply remains the same maybe coz when i'm at home i'll latch baby on so tat helps...also when i was away for 3 day 2 nights, i expressed abt 6-7hrly n only express when breasts were very full...supply still ok...

DodoTan

I think it's about the time of the day and not how many hours. Slowly start to express at similar times of the day, even if it's only 3 times a day. Your body should get used to it.

stonston

Once you manage to establish the supply, it is possible. Supply will definitely drop a little so dun worry :)

apollo

me.. cos i've to take care of ds since CL go back so no time to pump evry 2 hrs.. able to pump max 3 times per day only.. so my pathetic ds only able to get to drink 2-3 times BM per day =( even i tried to pump 2-3 hr-ly, only able to pump a lil :wong7:

apollo

My sister In law expressed only twice a day and each time can get at least 500ml (total from both breasts). She did this for about 6 months.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! how come she got so much bm??? i also want!!! if my bm got so much, my ds dun nd FM alrdy :embarrassed:

snowbear

me.. cos i've to take care of dear son since CL go back so no time to pump evry 2 hours.. able to pump max 3 times per day only.. so my pathetic dear son only able to get to drink 2-3 times breast milk per day =( even i tried to pump 2-3 hr-ly, only able to pump a lil :wong7:
You can try to pump while your ds is asleep or if he's awake n not asking for attention. I looked after dd without any help and managed to pump every 2-3hrs. Even if little bit of milk still continue to pump. Otherwise your supply will be stuck at only being able to feed your ds 3 times a day... Your body is used to only providing 3 feeds now so when u pump 2-3hrly it will not provide much. You need to continue to do this consistently till your body gets the signal to produce more milk. :)

apollo

You can try to pump while your dear son is asleep or if he's awake and not asking for attention. I looked after dear daughter without any help and managed to pump every 2-3hrs. Even if little bit of milk still continue to pump. Otherwise your supply will be stuck at only being able to feed your dear son 3 times a day... Your body is used to only providing 3 feeds now so when you pump 2-3hrly it will not provide much. You need to continue to do this consistently till your body gets the signal to produce more milk. :)
yes i'll slowly increase the frequency of pumping cos just started take care of ds so still cant manage the time well.. :tlaugh:

shespice

Since going back to work in April, I have been expressing once in the morning, once at work and once at night. Initially I express right after baby latch on, but lately she doesn't want to latch on so I just express and bottle feed her. Since today, I have just started trying about 12 hours interval (cutting down on expressing at work) since amount has also decrease as in each session I get between 120-150ml only and I usually pump for 15-20 mins.

pinkytham

i pump my milk daily at 730am before going to work and about 730pm after cum back work 12hours interval sometime get 180ml to 240ml =( very little only sad =( somemore is use 1 hr to pump both sides

JazN

wow! any special recipe your SIL had beside fish papaya soup or it's just she has more milk?

My sister In law expressed only twice a day and each time can get at least 500ml (total from both breasts). She did this for about 6 months.

snowbear

wow! any special recipe your sister In law had beside fish papaya soup or it's just she has more milk?
She just has lotsa milk. She didn't even drink any special soup! But she always tells me that she drinks 1-2glasses of milk before expressing. She claims that that helps. :001_302:

shespice

i pump my milk daily at 730am before going to work and about 730pm after cum back work 12hours interval sometime get 180ml to 240ml =( very little only sad =( somemore is use 1 hr to pump both sides
wow 12 hrs interval and still so much :). wish i could also but now even worse hahahah, getting lesser and lesser since baby doesn't want to latch on anymore.

Elaine010

Been pumping 4 times a day, 730am, 12pm, 430pm before home from work and lastly 9pm after dinner. latched bb twice at night, 2am and 5am.

Next week need to go for 2 days course, can only pump before going out, 7am and back home about 6pm... What will happen to my milk supply for this 2 days? I never dragged my pumping interval more then 6 hours, worried my supply will drop. :we3sad:
If after my 2 days course, i try to pump back 4 times a day, will my supply back to normal?