does teething really cause slight fever?

ben10

Alpha Male
First tooth erupting halfway.... body feels a bit warm. Temperature ranges between 37.3 -- 37.8 degrees. The last time he had a slight fever was the last 6in1 injection but came down in 2 days.

Is it normal to have a slight fever during teething and when should I visit PD?

I still got the paracetemol prescribed by the PD for the injection as a precaution.... should take or not?? didn't want ben to take too much medication so young... Any advise?

apollo

First tooth erupting halfway.... body feels a bit warm. Temperature ranges between 37.3 -- 37.8 degrees. The last time he had a slight fever was the last 6in1 injection but came down in 2 days.

Is it normal to have a slight fever during teething and when should I visit pediatrician?

I still got the paracetemol prescribed by the pediatrician for the injection as a precaution.... should take or not?? didn't want ben to take too much medication so young... Any advise?
if ur baby is having fever 37.5 degree and above, shd feed medi. but depends on which type of thermometer u use. if is armpit one, 37.5 is consider feever while ear thermometer, 37.8 then consider fever.

make sure ur paracetemol have not 'expire'. usually once u got the medi from pd, aft 6mths, u must throw away the medi, unless the medi is from original packing. but i doubt paracetomol comes from original packing, usually the clinic 'repack' again, so better check the date they PRESCRIBE u the medi, check whether has it pass the m6ths 'expiry' alrdy..

if ur baby is having fever, continue to feed paracetemol until the fever goes down. btw u might wan to call up the clinic to check the dosage, cos usually the dosage givin if 'count' by their weight, not age. at the meantime, u just follow the dosage given by pd last time. =) and if aft 3 days, fever goes up n down, den u shd bring him to pd =)

PinkDiamonds

Usually if got fever, I will feed paracetamol and monitor the situation. If fever goes down, then I don't think there is a cause for worry.

Fever during teething can be quite normal. My girl had 2 episodes of fever due to teething and we just gave paracetamol.

You can suspect if it's a virus if the fever doesn't subside, or if he has cough/runny nose with green phlegm/mucus.

As apollo said, you need to take note of how long the bottle has been opened. By the way, it does come in original sealed packaging, but I'm not sure what the clinic has provided. Whenever I bring my girl to the polyclinic for her jabs, we are prescribed it in case she has a fever from the jab.

If the fever does not go away, please go and see a PD.

ben10

Alpha Male
The paracetemol is in its original packing and its been open for about 1 week only. Measured with a ear thermometer and at 1:30am was 37.7... This morning is 37.0 .... I normally will measure both ears for 2 time than take the highest... coz sometimes hate the prop in the ears.. wriggle and shake so a bit diff to take readings... I will still take his temperature every 2 hours. Haven't feed him with paracetemol yet coz I think it's the teething that irritates him and my constant taking for temperature and touching of his forehead THAT really irritates him. :embarrassed:

Thanks apollo... now i know 37.8 then consider fever. Daddy and mummy a bit paranoid liao..:shyxxx:

apollo

The paracetemol is in its original packing and its been open for about 1 week only. Measured with a ear thermometer and at 1:30am was 37.7... This morning is 37.0 .... I normally will measure both ears for 2 time than take the highest... coz sometimes hate the prop in the ears.. wriggle and shake so a bit diff to take readings... I will still take his temperature every 2 hours. have not't feed him with paracetemol yet coz I think it's the teething that irritates him and my constant taking for temperature and touching of his forehead THAT really irritates him. :embarrassed:

Thanks apollo... now i know 37.8 then consider fever. Daddy and mummy a bit paranoid ..:shyxxx:
u're welcome! it's okay, 1st time daddy mummy will be more kanchiong.. i also lik tt.. haha! :tlaugh:

allycat

Actually the ear thermometer might not be very good for infant. That time I measured Quan with the ear thermometer, he was 37.8 and I brought him to KKH. But he was 38.4 when measured by the nurse via his armpit. Such huge difference!!

apollo

Actually the ear thermometer might not be very good for infant. That time I measured Quan with the ear thermometer, he was 37.8 and I brought him to Kandang Kerbau Hospital. But he was 38.4 when measured by the nurse via his armpit. Such huge difference!!
OMG! i tot ear one usually detect higher temp? till now i'm still using ear thermometer for ds cos my fren said armpit is more accurate. but nowadays ds is v active, so tot of changing to ear one..

allycat

That's what I thought too. Not sure if the brand of the ear thermometer has any impact. I'm using Summer Infant, which I dont think its popular here...

apollo

That's what I thought too. Not sure if the brand of the ear thermometer has any impact. I'm using Summer Infant, which I dont think its popular here...
actu i heard tt Bruan is better. and majority of the clinics are using this brand. =)

hueychye79

Isaac is going to 6 months and his always want to bit something.

I am a bit kiasu, thinking of want to stand by the medicine to him in case he is fever when teehing.

Already buy some biscuit, gel to release the pain of the gum and thermometer.

Heard that the medicine for infant is the same for all the clininc, can I stand by?

Or need to see doctor? Cause I also worry his fever will attack him in the middle of night... :embarrassed:

apollo

I am a bit kiasu, thinking of want to stand by the medicine to him in case he is fever when teehing.

Heard that the medicine for infant is the same for all the clininc, can I stand by?

Or need to see doctor? Cause I also worry his fever will attack him in the middle of night... :embarrassed:
usaually medi are same as long as the name is same, i think.. as for parametomel, IMO, i think is the same one lehh, all pink color deee.. haha.. anw can bring down the fever means okay.. haha!

if fever, can self medicate him with the fever medi ur pd gave. den aft 2-3 days if fever keep goes up n down, den must see doc.. =)

ben10

Alpha Male
actually i heard that Bruan is better. and majority of the clinics are using this brand. =)
Yeah.. I'm using braun form the sars days till now and it's working perfectly. Its seems quite accurate and will only differ if not use correctly.... that's why i normally take both ears 2 times and take the highest reading. It's unlikely any thermometer will register a higher reading.

Tried the armpit thermometer, not successful due to bens constant pulling and wriggling of the thermometer. :embarrassed:

Still love the Braun ear thermometer BEST! But hopefully not have to use it too often:nah:

ben10

Alpha Male

No need to go clinic to buy paracetemol ... unless see doc. U can just buy from Pharmacy or some chinese med store might have. I was surprised to find a Bt panjang Chinese med store selling paracetemol.

Phoebii Cheng

If you don't hv med to stand by and in case your bb hv fever at night, you can sponge him, half an hourly to bring down the fever....

ben10

Alpha Male

didn't give baby ben at 7 month any paracetemol when his fever was 37.8.... Resisted the temptation to give med coz he was only mildly warm and a bit cranky... didn't want to dose him with med so young. We try to observe him every 2 hours, wipe away persperation... temperature flunctuate between 37.3 - 38.0 ... gave him water and dentrinox to sooth his gums.. He was better with no fever next morning and is a HAPPY boy liao:Dancing_wub:

But no harm keeping paracetemol at home just in case..

Ros0818

hi mommies

yup, for my girl, she developed fever during teething. temp in the range of 37-39deg.. She refused to take any milk for a few hours. It will be back to normal when once the teeth came out. Now she oredi have 5 teeth.....

:Dancing_wub: