Does your Indo maid fast ?

STAR

Hi mummies,

wld like to find out if i shld let my Indo maid fast?

My agent told me that shouldn't let her fast cos what if she faint while working. True!

My husband said we shld respect her religion. Also true!

How?

k-mom

i think you should respect her religion and let her make the decision. contrary to popular belief, fasting does not make one weaker and you can still go about doing chores. your maid, if she fasts regularly, would have had enough practice and will be able to control her hunger. provided she is able to get up early to eat before sunrise and gets to eat again after sunset :)

tinkerball

Hi mummies,

wld like to find out if i shld let my Indo maid fast?

My agent told me that shouldn't let her fast cos what if she faint while working. True!

My husband said we shld respect her religion. Also true!

How?
wether she wants to fast or not its her personal choice so try not to interfere with her decision. however do remind her that if she really cannot tahan then ask her to break her fast cos she have to remember she still had her job to do. my SIL 's maid fasted during fasting month and so far she's doing well.

tika

Indon maids in my extended family have been fasting during ramadhan. It shdn't affect the work being carried out as long as she eats during 'sahur' which is before 5.20am and breaks fast at 7.10pm. These timings change by a minute or two every few days.

Your husband is right. One shd respect all religion. Especially after the broadcast of PM Lee Hsien Loong's nationally day rally speech on religion and race. :)

What is the maid agency you hired your maid from?

STAR

Hi mummies,

my maid started her fasting today, she said she will eat if she really cannot tahan. So far so good lah!

I bought a lot of biscuits n always a loaf of bread at home n noodles for her to eat in the early morning. Is all these enough ? Hehehe!

First time, employ a maid so blur blur. :tlaugh:

Anyway, thank you all mummies for the advise.

edy

Administrator
Staff member
Hi mummies,

my maid started her fasting today, she said she will eat if she really cannot tahan. So far so good !

I bought a lot of biscuits and always a loaf of bread at home and noodles for her to eat in the early morning. Is all these enough ? Hehehe!

What you are doing is perfectly right :) ... I am very glad you did the right thing instead of following the agent. Kudos to you!

We should send the agent for hard labor if there is such a thing in Singapore ...

Maid is also a human being and we should be grateful that they are there to help out in the family.

Personally I despise those families whom treat their maid like a slave ... the usual common sight is whole family go to a restaurant and the maid would be left there standing/sitting while the family eats.

We are lucky to have maid in Singapore, so we should respect and treat them like a human being.

When making a decision, just put yourself in the other person shoe that is what i usually do when i am confused :)

tinkerball

Hi mummies,

my maid started her fasting today, she said she will eat if she really cannot tahan. So far so good !

I bought a lot of biscuits and always a loaf of bread at home and noodles for her to eat in the early morning. Is all these enough ? Hehehe!

you may want to let her try out brown rice for her pre-dawn meal cos this type of rice gives more energy and make her feel less hungry in the day. kudos to you for being such an understanding employer:Dancing_wub:

Ting

good for u.
we shld respect each others religion.
maybe if possible, u can help her with some easy chores if u can.
im sure she will be grateful to u. :)
they r also human, so we shld try to compromise with each other as much as we can. :)

STAR

Hi all,

yesterday brought my kids out for lunch with my maid as well. All of us r eating

except her, imagine the eyes that r staring at me. As if i'm nt giving my maid food. Alamak! Anyone went thru this, wat will u do ? :err:

tika

lemme guess.... it wasn't muslims who were staring right? Cos they would know its fasting month.

i think if ppl were to stare its cos they are unaware its the fasting month. you can't do anything abt it really. Just ignore them. Or maybe you can let your maid wait elsewhere while your family has your dinner? Maybe some where close so you can still see her but not at the same table?

stonston

Do you know that the maids signed a contract with their agency that they are not allowed to fast while they are working here?

That's what my maid told me. I asked her if she wanted to fast & she said that they are not allowed to. My parents & I allowed her but she told me she won't fast continuously everyday. She'll spread it out. Her reason was that she is looking after my son & she feels that she will be tired if she fast and may not be able to look after my son well (my son is super duper active).

I think it's up to individuals. Some people will feel weak when they fast, some people won't. Only they will know themselves. My maid said that she rather not fast cos she's here to work & Allah won't be angry with her if she did not fast. She'll 'pay back' when she goes back to Indonesia.

meiteoh

A friend's MIL back in KL forbade her maid to fast during every Ramandan and it's been going on for years ago. My friend is so tempted to report the MIL to the religious authorities. XD

To me, forbidding someone is just not right - if it's that person's choice, okay but if it isn't, well, it's just disrespectful.

Cheyenne

Me too, I let my INDO maid fast.

To me there is no major impact to her fasting.She just wake up at 4 plus to eat, go back to sleep till her usual timing of 7 plus. Of course, she don't take lunch, but she would still cook lunch for my parent. And of course, she can't pre-taste the dishes.

And at night, usually my parent will eat together with her at 7pm. But since she fast, my parent will eat first and then she join when she break fast.

We also try to be understading and sensitive by allowing her to go to her room to turn on the radio at 1905 to listen if she can break fast already.

SunShine07

What you are doing is perfectly right :) ... I am very glad you did the right thing instead of following the agent. Kudos to you!

We should send the agent for hard labor if there is such a thing in Singapore ...

Maid is also a human being and we should be grateful that they are there to help out in the family.

Personally I despise those families whom treat their maid like a slave ... the usual common sight is whole family go to a restaurant and the maid would be left there standing/sitting while the family eats.

We are lucky to have maid in Singapore, so we should respect and treat them like a human being.

When making a decision, just put yourself in the other person shoe that is what i usually do when i am confused :)
strongly agreed! like we go restaurant, i would also ask her to join though finanically is tight now:tlaugh:

Cos my maid also very good!

Fasting should be ok, let them know that if they feel unwell have to let you know immedately.

I totally agree with Admin-Ed.
Imagine, if the maid is our daughter sent to Germany to work, would we want our daughter to be treated this way?

If not, then we better learn not to do that to others.

ElsEls

I need help from the mummy’s who have experienced with Indo maid. Im a first timer for having a maid with us. Basically today is our 2nd day of fasting and my helper have been asking for permission if she can sleep noon time after her work is done, not sure if I should allow that..? Cos first day of fasting i did allow her to rest/sleep awhile but I didn’t expect her to continue sleeping noon time during fasting month. Any mummy care to share?

ElsEls

She' too free in ur hse is it..
Practically she will finished her tasked (eg: laundry, folding of clothes, wipe windows, mopping) by 11ish and only during fasting month we will start cooking at about 3pm.. other then that taking care of my 5yo boy - which he will play w his toys.