Dr Lawrence Ang from Thomson Women's Clinic @ Sunplaza

shashas

:001_302:
Hi,
I am 4 week Pregnant and I am likely see Dr. Lawrence Ang. Any feedback?
I heard he will not give any confirmation till he get signs of any heartbeat. Is it true?
Hi there...

tats what i heard also...aniway i am going to see him next monday...i am about 5 weeks but still cannot hear heart beat according to kk hospital and there was some spotting...the first thing they said was its a risk of Mc...i was sooo scared..called doctor ang and told him about the bleeding...he told mi its common but still need to check heart beat to make sure everything is fine...i lost hope in KK,,never returning there...

eowyn

Hi,
I am 4 week Pregnant and I am likely see Dr. Lawrence Ang. Any feedback?
I heard he will not give any confirmation till he get signs of any heartbeat. Is it true?
If only 4 weeks pregnant, then might not be able to hear heartbeat. Dr Ang will ask u to come back the following week. That's what happen to me.

bunnybaby

Went to Dr Ang after I missed my period but he couldnt even see any fetus using abdominal scan. He will always tell you the 3 possibilities; mc, ectopic pregnancy OR too early. I did spot in my 5th week. but when I went to another gynae in my 6th week, intravaginal scan was able to detect my baby with heartbeat. So, you have to wait until at least 6th week. No point going for scan so early esp abdominal. In overseas, they start to scan only at 10th week. Some ppl can only see heartbeat at 8th week. Well, just pray for baby's health and your own. Nothing much you can do for the time being. It;s waiting game.... I am now in my 4th month already. :)

chan

BAD AND UNFORGETTABLE ENCOUNTER

Hi All,

I had a really bad experience with Dr. Ang. I went through natural birth and was in intense pain since I was discharged for the first week. I was in so much pain that i wasnt able to sit on the bed,sit on the toilet bowl or breastfeed. Initially I thought it was normal thus i beared with it however I couldnt bear the pain and called Dr Ang wanting to drop by. He replied that its normal and ALL his patients went through such pain and mentioned that since he'll be seeing me next week then he'll do a check-up.

I was in too much pain that I immediately went to the nearest clinic and was diagnosed that there was a gap in between the stitches and I was already having an infection. I didnt went back to Dr Ang for the first appointment after delivery, likewise none of his staff called to ask if I was fine. Although the wound healed, my vaginal opening was quite huge and my discharge kept flowing out and caused alot of disturbance.

I was helpless and went to KKH for a check-up and was informed that the opening is bigger than usual and was advised to undergo a pelvic floor repair day surgery (opening the stitches again & re-sew) if i was concerned about it. It caused disturbance to both my daily and marriage life. Most importantly the physical & emotional distress I've obtained.

This time round, I didnt fix an appointment. I went to his clinic and told his staff that I needed to see him.

I told him what happened and his reply was that he'll check and undergo the surgery for me. I told him after his negligence I wasnt comfortable with it and I intend to seek KKH help instead.

He tried gaving excuses like "your baby is fine now, she was delivered and I didnt cause any brain damage..."

I underwent the day surgery and went through all the pain again after I gained conscious. The wound recovered and indeed I didnt suffer as much pain compared to the first surgery.

I was really upset, why can he be termed as the best doctor when he have such a bad attitude towards his occupation? Shouldnt doctors be there to help and moreover despite that I lived in Bedok, I went all the way to Sembawang for each medical appointment and yet this is the way to treat his patient?

I reasoned out with him and told him that yes I thank him that my baby is delivered and healthy but that doesnt give him the right to shirk off his responsibilty by saying that he didnt cause any brain damage to my child.

His facial expression changed after I told him that I'll seek Medical Association's help and he told me "How much you want?"

I seriously feel that its not ethical for a Doctor to say such things despite his busy schedule. Otherwise he should just receive lesser patients. Till now, Ive not had the courage to have another one and I will never ever recommend him to any of my friends and would like to share my bad experience so that the others won't go through all these distress and pain.

chan

Hi All,

I had a really bad experience with Dr. Ang. I went through natural birth and was in intense pain since I was discharged for the first week. I was in so much pain that i wasnt able to sit on the bed,sit on the toilet bowl or breastfeed.
Initially I thought it was normal thus i beared with it however I couldnt bear the pain and called Dr Ang wanting to drop by. He replied that its normal and ALL his patients went through such pain and mentioned that since he'll be seeing me next week then he'll do a check-up.

I was in too much pain that I immediately went to the nearest clinic and was diagnosed that there was a gap in between the stitches and I was already having an infection. I didnt went back to Dr Ang for the first appointment after delivery, likewise none of his staff called to ask if I was fine.

Although the wound healed, my vaginal opening was quite huge and my discharge kept flowing out and caused alot of disturbance.
I was helpless and went to Kandang Kerbau Hospital for a check-up and was informed that the opening is bigger than usual and was advised to undergo a pelvic floor repair day surgery (opening the stitches again & re-sew) if i was concerned about it. It caused disturbance to both my daily and marriage life. Most importantly the physical & emotional distress I've obtained.
This time round, I didnt fix an appointment. I went to his clinic and told his staff that I needed to see him.

I told him what happened and his reply was that he'll check and undergo the surgery for me. I told him after his negligence I wasnt comfortable with it and I intend to seek Kandang Kerbau Hospital help instead.

He tried gaving excuses like "your baby is fine now, she was delivered and I didnt cause any brain damage..."

I underwent the day surgery and went through all the pain again after I gained conscious. The wound recovered and indeed I didnt suffer as much pain compared to the first surgery.

I was really upset, why can he be termed as the best doctor when he have such a bad attitude towards his occupation? Shouldnt doctors be there to help and moreover despite that I lived in Bedok, I went all the way to Sembawang for each medical appointment as I've heard that he's professional and good when my friend gave birth 3 years ago and yet this is the way to treat his patient?

I reasoned out with him and told him that yes I thank him that my baby is delivered and healthy but that doesnt give him the right to shirk off his responsibilty by saying that he didnt cause any brain damage to my child.
His facial expression changed after I told him that I'll seek Medical Association's help and he told me "How much you want?"

I seriously feel that its not ethical for a Doctor to say such things despite his busy schedule. He was even eating bread in the surgery room when I was trying to push hard.

If he cant cope he should just receive lesser patients. Till now, Ive not had the courage to have another one and I will never ever recommend him to any of my friends and would like to share my bad experience so that the others won't go through all these distress and pain.

marshmallows

Sorry to hear about what u went through. I'm not a patient under dr ang but am curious to know why he mentioned he didn't cause any brain damage to your daughter. Was she being forcepped out etc? Or he did an episiotomy on u?

joyj

Hi All,

I had a really bad experience with Dr. Ang. I went through natural birth and was in intense pain since I was discharged for the first week. I was in so much pain that i wasnt able to sit on the bed,sit on the toilet bowl or breastfeed.
Initially I thought it was normal thus i beared with it however I couldnt bear the pain and called Dr Ang wanting to drop by. He replied that its normal and ALL his patients went through such pain and mentioned that since he'll be seeing me next week then he'll do a check-up.

I was in too much pain that I immediately went to the nearest clinic and was diagnosed that there was a gap in between the stitches and I was already having an infection. I didnt went back to Dr Ang for the first appointment after delivery, likewise none of his staff called to ask if I was fine.

Although the wound healed, my vaginal opening was quite huge and my discharge kept flowing out and caused alot of disturbance.
I was helpless and went to Kandang Kerbau Hospital for a check-up and was informed that the opening is bigger than usual and was advised to undergo a pelvic floor repair day surgery (opening the stitches again & re-sew) if i was concerned about it. It caused disturbance to both my daily and marriage life. Most importantly the physical & emotional distress I've obtained.

I told him what happened and his reply was that he'll check and undergo the surgery for me. I told him after his negligence I wasnt comfortable with it and I intend to seek Kandang Kerbau Hospital help instead.

I was really upset, why can he be termed as the best doctor when he have such a bad attitude towards his occupation? Shouldnt doctors be there to help and moreover despite that I lived in Bedok, I went all the way to Sembawang for each medical appointment as I've heard that he's professional and good when my friend gave birth 3 years ago and yet this is the way to treat his patient?

I seriously feel that its not ethical for a Doctor to say such things despite his busy schedule. He was even eating bread in the surgery room when I was trying to push hard.

If he cant cope he should just receive lesser patients. Till now, Ive not had the courage to have another one and I will never ever recommend him to any of my friends and would like to share my bad experience so that the others won't go through all these distress and pain.
Sorry that you've had a bad experience with Dr Ang. I feel that your case happens to be a one-off in the sense that the majority of the people who have consulted Dr Ang have had little or no complains about him. Moreover, their opinions happen to be that of positive ones.
I just feel that Dr Ang is a good, responsible, professional and skillful gynae. Thumbs Up to that!
I also observe that he's very straight to the point althought this may not be an attractive trait to some patients. However, he is always attentive to patients althought his schedule may be very packed.
I truly believe that the character of the patient will influence how a doctor will respond to them. I guess one should reflect back on whether she was impatient, fussy or "gan jiong" whilst talking to the doctor.

chan

Hi, I've always been patient and I don't vent my anger easily. Throughout all my check up everything was fine till I suffered from pain after the surgery. Even when I went back to consult him after I've decided to go KK I still spoke nicely, instead he's the one who changed his tone after I told him I might seek medical association's help. Still I think that he shouldnt say such things like he didn't cause any brain damage to my baby. Which I felt it wasn't right even though no matter how a good doc he is.

Enangel

Hi chan, sorry to hear about your bad experience! I think the fact that you had to do a day surgery was indeed his mistake and error as he was the one that sew you up, no matter how fussy or "ganjiong" you are.

I had also went to Dr Ang for my 2nd baby, my 1st was born in kk. As to why he was being described as one of the best, I am also not sure. I feel that he is always in a rush, every checkup appointment last less than 5 mins. When I am trying to ask him something, he always seem to dismiss whatever i had to say, maybe my questions are too stupid or paranoid? I swear out of 10 visits, he always ask me the same question at least on 8 visits for how heavy was my first baby. I wonder why don't he just note down on my case file? For my delivery, he used vaccum for my baby without asking. I thought he should seek patient's consent first? My 1st boy was 3.8kg, i had an normal delivery without any of these. My 2nd boy was only 2.9kg...... i wonder if it's normal that gynae would just do as they deem fit without consulting or alerting the mummy? When i complain to hubbie, hubbie just said that maybe Dr Ang didn't want me to freak out... but i still think he should had told me. After delivery, he actually prescibe the wrong medication for me, LOL. My stitches hurts too. It felt worse than the 1st time, I actually took a mirror and look at my stitches... I could actually see pus. It felt like an infection, I didn't have this on my 1st birthing experience. When i went for check up, Dr Ang just dismissed it as normal. Through out my whole experience with Dr Ang, I think he's okay- just always in a rush and a bit blur. If you can accept it, then go for it. If not, try other gynae.
Sighs, all that matters most is baby is fine right? :wong19:
But i heard from friends that Dr Ang used to be really attentive and great- That was quite a few years back, until he got popular and had too many patients. :001_302:

decollette

I also felt that he was ok, just that his consultations were too short,always reply in a rush. Then i delivered via c section and my c sect bacame a keloid, raised and very ugly. he does not seem to remember details from previous visits also,this can be rather unsettling. For my next baby, even if i have to pay more, im not going back to him

Amulet

Hmmm.. My c-sec scar healed perfectly, no raised spots at all.. I can get off the bed 2nd day by myself without help from nurses either..

Frenchkitty

sorry to hear about yr experience Chan. i consulted him 2x in my first pregnancy and his clinic is always so crowded, waiting time so long yet he seems in a rush to get us out of the room when we eventually got to see him. ended up we switched gynae as D Ang wasnt making my hubby & i comfortable . if hes so busy/ nonchalant, how is he gonna manage my pregnancy well?

anyway glad I made the switch.

paradise

My wife is at week 20 and her EDD is at 15 Dec and our gynae is Dr Lawrence Ang. During our last visit to him which is just last week, he informed us suddenly he cannot take us as his patients anymore as he will be going overseas on the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] of Dec. Me & wife were caught totally unprepared for this sudden shocking news as he promised us on week 12 that he will only be going overseas on 18 Dec and he definitely can help my wife give birth.
We asked him if there is another replacement doc if he is not around he say don’t have. Dr Ang told us if we insist to use his package he will have to induce the baby out the day before he goes on leave which is totally unacceptable to me ~!! We have visited him in total 3 times and paid him $490, actually we just need to top-up another $80 to enjoy his full package till my wife give birth in Dec which I believe all his patients do the same if sign package with him.
In the end, Dr Ang refused to let us continue his package as he say it’s unfair to him to let us continue his package for checkups as he cannot earn any money from us if the baby is not given birth by him.. Now we have to search for a new gynae from scratch and probably sign a new package from them and spend more $$ again as my wife is already week 20 now and other gynae package usually starts from week 12 =(
Just wanna check if anyone here have similar situations like me under Dr Ang and if am I possible to get back at least a small sum of $$ back from him ? =(

Frenchkitty

Hi Paradise, so terribly sorry to hear about that. $490 is ALOT to pay for only 3 visits yah? ?
Since he already said he cannot accept you as his patients then better take it as a blessing in disguise and find another Gynae cos your wife should be due for her Detailed scan already.

I'm thinking since you are not under any package from Dr Ang yet, then it means your $490 is by "a la carte" (pay per visit) hence it's quite hard for you to go ask him for some reimbursement. And anyway I dont think you wanna go through that hassle also.
Pregnancy is supposed to be a happy and joyous time for both you & your wife. So I think just take it as an expensive lesson learnt and find another Gynae who is happier to assist you and also wont be going away during your wife's EDD period.

All the best to you!

paradise

Hi Frenchkitty, thanks for your reply & advise =)
His ala carte charges are really much higher ($150 +$190+$140)for just 3 sessions. But since we have paid him already we are at his mercy. Wehave friends who use him as gynae before and we never doubt his skills but theway he handle our situation is really uncaring and unprofessional whichdisappoint us a lot after saw the positive reviews in the past forum.
Btw, we have finally found our new gynae and wife isvery happy with him at least I feel the consultant fees paid is definitely worthit~! We have moved on and treat it as a expensive lesson though and also forall to take extra note of if still deciding to engage him as gynae or not. We willnot recommend his services to our friends though his charges is cheaper aspaying alittle more you will definitely be able to find a better, caring gynaewith the relevant skills.

Amulet

Getting disappointed with Dr Ang as I have been hearing quite some negative comments from friends around me regarding his attitude problem..

Though he had did a great job for my 1st born, I will not go back to him for my future pregnancies anymore..

ecila23

I went to dr Ang in jul (first visit), he told me he will be overseas for dec and back on 19th. 19th till my edd 1st jan is just nice for my elective Caesarian. My second appt with Dr Ang last Friday, he told me to choose a date ( with geomancy, I did for my 1st and 2nd BB an delivered by Dr Ang) from 20th Dec. knowing that he can deliver for me, i signed the package. my husband called the clinic yesterday to confirm the date to avoid example Xmas? The clinic assistant told my husban that Dr Ang will only be back on 26th... Meaning I can only choose 26th to 1st Jan. I am left with one week to choose, what if I have labour pain before my last week of pregnancy? Furthermore, the clinic assistant cannot confirm Dr Ang will be back on 26th because he hasn't book tickets... :(