Drinking coke, coffee and tea!

B zhai

Hello mummies, any of you drink coke, coffee, tea or soft drinks?

I'm so used to having my morning coffee and I can't seem to kick off the habit. I also drink green tea and a bit of coke at times.

Any myths on why cannot drink such things ah? My gynae did say it's ok to drink 1-2 cups coffee or tea everyday. But I ask many of my mummy friends they all try to avoid. Is there a co-relation on how baby will be like when born or will affect baby health or pre-mature delivery? :)

kinkybaby

The reason why we avoid these drinks is becos caffeine is known to prevent absorption of calcium... Depends on how strict you wanna be. Before preggy I can have iced kopi/teh-c first thing in the morn b4 reaching office... During preggy I went cold turkey. Only during once or twice in the late stage I drank decaf from Starbucks :)

diza

To be honest, I never "pantang"... There was a phase of time when I drank lemon tea daily and when I got sick of the taste, I changed to sprite, then to coke and even coffee.. Now, it's plain cold water.... I never really avoid all those drinks.. and I don't drink milk.. One of my colleagues told me, whatever you want to eat/drink, you may do so but must always keep in moderation. Coz she said, sometimes it's the baby who "demands" those items...

Jojoai

I drink them too. As a so called reward. :) I used to drink 3 to 4 cans of coke and tea in th morning everyday. But I try to avoid. :) it's okay to take. But take moderately. :)

MamaDT

When I aint at Hm, I will drink Abt half cup of red tea... Or some canned soya bean milk to avoid caffeine... Heeheee

B4 preggy... I love canned green tea, but I am avoiding it totally... :(

The older ones said that drinking too much tea will be too "cooling" for the baby and when baby comes out, will have a lot of phlegm. Not sure Abt that. But have read alot of website and books Abt caffeines and pregnancy, all say shd avoid as it will affect development of the baby.

So drink moderate a day is fine.

Also, those drinks with sweetener, drink moderately as well to avoid getting gestational diabetes yah :)

Cheers Mummies!

Hi,

I used to drink a lot of coffee or coke before preggy. During preggy, i allowed myself either a coffee or a coke everyday. I guess it's really dow to moderation.

B zhai

Oh my! Yummygums! thanks for alerting! If hard to kick the habit also no choice. Try to drink only 1 cup of caffeine drink a day. Then take lotsa water. Yeah should drink like more fruit juice or warm water. Becos nowadays always feel so thirsty. Think my b zhai is also drinking a lot of water.

pehfam

before preggy i used to have 2-3 cups of coffee a day, during preggy cut down to 1 cup in the morning ( really really need my posion in the morn! ) I'm not a fan of cold drinks so hardly touch those. BB now 4mth n happy!

missyqiqi

I used to drink it every morning or afternoon or when I have heavy or oily food. But I slowly cut down when I prepare for baby. Is hard but try. I always look for decaf drinks. I don't drink coke so still not so bad for me.

Is not about patang, is more like what kinkybaby have said, coz caffeine can cause lost of calcium and during pregnancy, giving birth and breast feeding we lost lots of them, so stop or cutting down is to prevent lost of calcium, not now, but when u older, decrease the risk of getting osteoporosis which is very high risk in woman.

googlez82

yet some studies also proclaim coffee reduces risk of cancer :)
I abstain from caffeine for first 3 mths, couldn't resist and went back to 1 cup of coffee a day since then till now, my gal's 6mo, n i bf. Moderation's the key word and remember, it's 200-300ml per cup..not Starbucks or Coffee bean sized cup :)

Preggomama

yet some studies also proclaim coffee reduces risk of cancer :)
I abstain from caffeine for first 3 mths, couldn't resist and went back to 1 cup of coffee a day since then till now, my gal's 6mo, n i bf. Moderation's the key word and remember, it's 200-300ml per cup..not Starbucks or Coffee bean sized cup :)
I guess the "gao-ness" (i.e. concentration) of the coffee matters as well, try to drink coffee/tea that are more bland in general. I am a caffeine addict but soon after I got pregnant, I try to limit my intake to one cup a day. Sometimes I drink it to help inspire some movement in baby as well ... Heeehee ...

felicity

I was a coffee addict who can have up to 6 mugs of coffee a day, and usually take a bedtime coffee at 11pm b4 sleeping... But when morning sickness come, somehow I become v phobic of coffee smell... So is good! No need cold turkey, my body ownself switch off the cravings for me! I haven't had coffee since week 9 (i only is discovered im pregnant in week 8) until now...

I may hv milk tea or iced lemon tea once or twice a week though, n I avoid green tea because heard caffeine v high.

Last edited:

Juan

I try to avoid coffee but just can not tahan sometimes. So, during the last trimester, coffee addict come again.
I drink either tea of coffee half cup each day.

Hey b zhai! :) I used to drink coffee at least once a cup everyday but I went cold turkey before I got pregnant. Nowadays if I want to satisfy my craving, I will kop a few teaspoon from my friend. Coke wise I drank maybe once a week when I go ikea n there's free coke hahaha but my concern is the sugar, not the caffeine. Green tea very occasional when I'm eating jap food. Mostly is drink water