EDD Feb 2013

vel

just happen to be reading Feb EDD thread. I am from Jan 2013 EDD. I am facing exact situation. My MIL can't stand the baby going without milk and keep pressurizing me to feed the baby formula at the hospital. I guess I got worried when I saw her panic too. So, I decided to go ahead with formula milk. Now i regretted because my baby refuses to latch and I have to pump exclusively. and pumping exclusively is causing my milk supply to go low even I pump at shorter interval.

recently, my MIL started hinting like why my breastmilk looks so diluted. fortunately, that time i was feeding her formula when she asked why the milk looks so diluted. so she kept quiet and did not go on. I got a feeling she will tell me stop breastmilk totally.

sigh!
Yes the first few hours when the bb is born, me and hubby was also worried and decided to feed a bottle of formula milk . After that I decided to latch and ignore the idea of feeding fm at hospital . I feel that my breast milk is also dilated but when some of it drop on my hand its actually quite sticky after a while so I think it's actually quiet thick in nutrients

Meowgirl

vel..i'm using medela pump in style too...tried it out in TMC today before i went to buy it...the LC teach me to massage 1 min, pump 3-5mins, then repeat in 3 cycles..so i alternate between the 2 breast for the 3 cycles, i only turn on to about middle level..i was getting engorgement already, with the sides of the breast getting sore and hard..had a hard time to massage...but really...massage helps..the LC also says not to pump for too long at 1 go, else nipple may become sore.. what's ur frequency of pumping now?

vel

agree!! breast milk is a prob with the older generation..my mum told me upfront before baby was born saying that formula is ok..then last night baby was crying so badly that my MIL keep asking me to give formula milk..only lucky thing was that we didn't buy the formula before that and my hubby was supportive of breastfeeding and helped to block her..

but sadly, last night i found out that seems like my baby is not having enough from my breast milk..i started pumping today as baby is admitted to hospital for jaundice...@ day 5, each pump only gets about 30ml.. is this the rightful amount to have? went to see a lactation consultant today, she say my supply quite good...but i dunno why i pump myself only get that little..
Ya everyone have the mindset thinking each time bb cry must feed , no matter if the last feeding is just 1hr ago . Then the cries make all the elders panic and frustrated some more dunno why . All the rules and regulation to follow, I'm not suppose to shower per in laws but luckily this week everyone are busy with cny stuff so i manage to do a quick shower , helps a lot cause I'm actually abt to fall sick . Sore throat and slight coughing and confinement meals are not helping my condition . My pain killer also just finish so the stitches I had start to hurt a little each time I sit or stand up , it's an uncomfortable feeling .

ani

Hi gals, I have heard some bad stories about using epidural. Some say, the pain will remain in your back forever and occasionally surface from time to time.
But upon reading this thread, seems like everyone recommends getting one.

I am confused..

Meowgirl

vel.. i only managed to sneak in a quick shower on day 2 when i was in hospital..then my mum banned me from bathing for at least 1 week..feeling so awful, especially my hair...today is day 7...going to start my bathing and hair washing later...can't tahan anymore...my stitches also getting bad these few days...can't move around much...ytd spent half a day in hospital with my baby...came back really become jelly...almost can't move at all..

ani...i heard of ur concern before too..even my own mum says that..seems like that's a risk if the epidural was not put in correctly and affect the spine..that's y i wanted to skip that too..but what i understand is the risk is quite low and when the pain is really to high to take...can't really consider so much anymore..juz rmb to follow the dr's instructions.. keep very very still when they put in the epidural..

Starling

meowgirl, have you started on your post natal massage?
cos i was thinking if the package includes the steam bath and all, means can shower right? heeee

Meowgirl

starling...i'm starting my massage tmr..but does not include steam bath..have wrap..the therapist say after that cannot bath for dunno how many hours...

vel

I just went for mine and baby check up this morning, end up baby got to be admit into hospital for jaundice till sunday morning if everything is ok. sob... my feet is also swollen which it was'nt before delivery. Gynae tell me to move them more and put them high at night.. troublesome... going to pump every 3 hr maybe can bring down express milk to hospital later or tomorrow morning.

meowgirl on day 2 i was staring at the shower head in the hospital bathroom for like 30 mins but end up did not take any action. regretted.
You spend 1/2 a day with your baby yesterday? but he need to be put under the therapy treatment and can only be out during feeding hours I thought

hubby decided to book a late night movie later to bring up my mood , so going to catch jack neo show . hopefully its wun make me laugh too much, when I laugh big, below will hurt from my jerks .

Last edited:

vel

vel..i'm using medela pump in style too...tried it out in TMC today before i went to buy it...the LC teach me to massage 1 min, pump 3-5mins, then repeat in 3 cycles..so i alternate between the 2 breast for the 3 cycles, i only turn on to about middle level..i was getting engorgement already, with the sides of the breast getting sore and hard..had a hard time to massage...but really...massage helps..the LC also says not to pump for too long at 1 go, else nipple may become sore.. what's ur frequency of pumping now?
I will massage my breasts for a min, turn on to 2nd highest for simulation then when I see milk come out I just hit let down button. after that I just wait for 20 mins. Am I doing correctly? to be honest I am still not sure how to use the "let down" button.

Meowgirl

vel..ytd morning brought my baby to checkup, then admitted him for phototherapy...the whole checkup + admission lasted from 9am to 12pm +...managed to give him 1 more feed of breast milk before i left the hospital..that's the 1/2 day with him...then only this morning brought the breast milk over for him...he was sleeping so soundly...

as for pumping breast milk..here's what the LC told me...drink at least 3L of water per day..can have all the longan drink in between pumps..but have a cup of hot drink just before pumping..then during pumping, massage 1 min, pump for 5 mins and repeat for 3 cycles..so, what i do is massage left breast 1 min, pump for 5 mins, then do for right breast the same...then go back to left then right again, repeat 3 times..as for the use of let-down, i think you shld be doing fine..

do u feel any sore or hard clogs around ur breast? if there is, it means there's milk, but may be blocked..have to massage to loosen it then the milk will come out..

is ur baby in TMC? if yes and u are really concern with breastfeeding, i recommend u to go to their parentcraft centre at level 6 for consultation...have to pay, but the nurses there are really quite good with breast feeding..i actually went there to test out the pumps and the nurse gave me extra tips becoz my milk supply was clogging up already..

and a personal note, don't take drinks that are too strong taste just before pumping..e.g. very strong ginger tea..my MIL made me a bottle of that 2 days ago, ends up baby don't want the milk..he was shaking his head and pushing my nipple away..ends up baby was so hungry that i had no choice but to give him formula milk..

another advice which i got from my colleague...don't get too tight up with breast feeding if at the start not successful..my colleague say she nearly got into depression becoz of breast feeding..but after she overcome it, she managed to breast feed for 1 yr...

Meowgirl

if with appt is $30++ for 30 mins for consultation...they say have surcharge if u walk-in, so better to call and ask first... i went there to test breast pump not consultation, so it was $17+...better to check for Thomson Parentcraft centre hotline number to call and ask before you go...it's the one at level 6..

vel

Did anyone know how long are we suppose to apply the stitch lotion after urinating? 1 to 2 weeks ? A month?

l0r3tTa

Hi Feb mummies, my baby was supposed to be due 3 march but he decided to come on the 9th Feb. 3 weeks earlier..and so I'm a Feb mummy now :)

Starling

Hi rainbowting,
Mi and L0r3tTa r seeing the same gynae - Dr Chen Chern Yi at punggol.

Have u started to take ML to rest at home alrd? The day is approaching soon.