EDD in Dec 2011

godloved

Yes sweetie, thanks for your encouragement.. I guess i should have rephased it that I WAS contemplating of an abortion.. but now at 12 weeks, i guess i'm pretty set to keep the baby.. and really excited about my next appt with my gynae.
Great to hear..enjoy the pregnancy and motherhood journey.. :)

AngieTan

Oh man Angie you lost your job because you were preggy then?!?!?!? Yes this is my first baby and no we were not ready for one when we first found out :( (only married for 6 months) but now we got used to the idea so it isn't that bad.. the most we sell our car.. and every cent will go back to the bank (at least won't have to pay monthly installments) and I'll take on home based jobs if required.
Phew, that's great! Wow, only married for 6 months! Hehe... But ya, like I said, there is no right time or wrong time for a baby to come lah... For me initially, I felt that way too cos it's like financially we are not ready... Well, correction, we will NEVER be ready but since I was blessed with a child after almost 10 years of marriage, I took it as a blessing as me and hubby never thought we will ever have one... I mean, we were both busy with our jobs, no time to really make babies and of course, financially not ready... But somehow it did happen after all these years so we thought, ya, it should be about time as I am not getting any younger as well! =P

And yes, I lost my job when I was 5 months pregnant... The usual excuse employers will give for pregnant employees, i.e. work performance drop... But I don't think so and I was still bringing work home to do OT when I was so so tired during that pregnancy... Anyway, brought this issue to MOM but later gave it up as I was too stressed and cried almost everyday during that pregnancy... Well, times were very tough after that... With only hubby's income and we have a car too (but giving up soon) plus other commitments and bills to pay but still, we managed... Wrong, we HAD TO manage... At times, we have to borrow money just to get by for that particular month and it's really embarassing but not once, did we regret having kept this child, even though we were quarrelling most of the time about financial issues and right now, still dealing with the difficulties of making ends meet every month... Nope, I am not judging you because of what you said just now... I am just sharing with you my experience... =)

I wish you all the best in your job, either with the current one or the new one... Hopefully, either one works for you... Take care... =D

P.S. Now with a second one so fast on the way, it's gonna be even tougher! Pray for us! Hehe... =P

Last edited:

marmalade

Didn't wanted to tell anyone. But when i submit my medical claim, i guess my boss saw the "scan" then ask me if i'm pregnant, lolx. I just smile and say "well, you said it, i didn't tell you" Only my parents know about it. Those others who guessed themselves, i can't do anything bout it but just smile. 3 more weeks and i can tell the whole world!!! Can't wait.

Currently i'm surfing online to see if there's any cheap and good buy for baby cots, etc. Any ideas on which websites got good buy?

ha....i also can't tell yet... 2 more weeks for me. I was down with sore throat, running nose etc...so mc just state viral infection.
none of my colleagues know but guess they suspected something. urgh. feels awful when i can't say a thing. so *fingers-crossed *

marmalade

Yes sweetie, thanks for your encouragement.. I guess i should have rephased it that I WAS contemplating of an abortion.. but now at 12 weeks, i guess i'm pretty set to keep the baby.. and really excited about my next appt with my gynae.
woah, thank goodness. Job can always find another one, but your baby is precious !!
so no matter what, you gotta get through this.
and if you are sacked for being pregnant, you can always go to MOM.
Section 81 of the employment act protects all working ladies who are pregnant.
Maternity Leave - Ministry of Manpower

AngieTan

woah, thank goodness. Job can always find another one, but your baby is precious !!
so no matter what, you gotta get through this.
and if you are sacked for being pregnant, you can always go to MOM.
Section 81 of the employment act protects all working ladies who are pregnant.
Maternity Leave - Ministry of Manpower
Well, even if you are sacked for being pregnant, you can't prove that cos the employers will find ways and means to cover it up with an excuse... So how can we prove that we are indeed sacked for that reason which of course the employers will be denying? Happened to me but was not confident in winning the fight... Sigh...

ihmdweh

Well, even if you are sacked for being pregnant, you can't prove that cos the employers will find ways and means to cover it up with an excuse... So how can we prove that we are indeed sacked for that reason which of course the employers will be denying? Happened to me but was not confident in winning the fight... Sigh...
Gonna inform my boss after my next appt.. *cross my fingers* that its going to be alright. :)

marmalade

:( but did you do anything wrong prior to that ? if your appraisal is ok all the while and then suddenly you get sacked, isn't that obvious ? unless if the company is having funds problem then it might be diffcult to prove but at least you get some compensation should they wish to let you go.

I strongly think one should report the matter to MOM and then fight against such irresponsible employer. i dun have such experience (*touchwood) but we as employees should have our rights, else they think women can just be taken for granted.

but now you are with another new company ya ? so hopefully they are not like that.
:001_302:

godloved

My take on this is actually if the employers treat their staff like that - unreasonable dismissal and all, we should just move on. They are not worth our time and heartache. If can fight, fight. But if can't I believe end of their day it's their loss to be shortsighted. And what goes around comes around. And these are the last peple who should cause us to be distraught during pregnancy.. They are so not worth it

ihmdweh

My take on this is actually if the employers treat their staff like that - unreasonable dismissal and all, we should just move on. They are not worth our time and heartache. If can fight, fight. But if can't I believe end of their day it's their loss to be shortsighted. And what goes around comes around. And these are the last peple who should cause us to be distraught during pregnancy.. They are so not worth it
yup moving on is the easy part.. but losing half the family income is difficult considering that no other employers will hire a pregnant lady. i guess i will be pretty distraught on my financial plight without the income as well.. and the amount of stress my husband have to carry... But oh well.. we will all pray for the better and hopefully things will turn out fine and none of us will get sacked for being preggy :)

BIG QN: is it possible to know the gender of the baby at week 14?

marmalade

guess we just do whatever we feel comfortable at that point in time....
must feel happy cos that's optimal health condition for your baby.

ihmdweh said:
BIG QN: is it possible to know the gender of the baby at week 14?
Doc said that it is best done during the 18-22nd weeks of your pregnancy. sigh, gotta wait.......

AngieTan

:( but did you do anything wrong prior to that ? if your appraisal is ok all the while and then suddenly you get sacked, isn't that obvious ? unless if the company is having funds problem then it might be diffcult to prove but at least you get some compensation should they wish to let you go.

I strongly think one should report the matter to MOM and then fight against such irresponsible employer. i dont have such experience (*touchwood) but we as employees should have our rights, else they think women can just be taken for granted.

but now you are with another new company ya ? so hopefully they are not like that.
:001_302:
I don't think I did anything majorly wrong but of course, when they asked me to go, they dug out all the errors I have committed in the past... Which employee doesn't make mistakes? I don't think it warrants the need to mention such "overdue" errors again right? Moreover, if those errors were so serious to begin with, I could have been dealt with then and not now, right?

Another thing was that I got a fat bonus in Dec 2009 and I informed them I was pregnant in Jan 2010... In Mar 2010, they warned about the decline in work performance and even put it in writing and in May, I was asked to go... What do you gals think? All these happened within a short span of time, even though they gave me a good bonus just before they knew about my pregnancy... When later I argued about this point, they said oh, my bonus was one of the lowest amongst all the other staff... BUT when during the year end review, they did not mention that much of an unsatisfactory performance from me (of course there will be a few minor ones but nothing like really major)... So it's kinda crap, right?

I did not continue with the fight as I was really stressed during that pregnancy and emotionally down... Didn't think it was worth the emotional breakdown which may affect my pregnancy or whatsoever... Moreover, I am fighting against a bunch of lawyers (I was working in law firm), as well as all their staff whom they asked (or forced) to sign statements to prove that they are nice to their staff... I felt that I was fighting the fight alone and it stressed me further... So ya, gave up in the end... Cos like I said, don't think it was worth the emotional roller coster ride after all... I might as well try and stay happy for the remaining of my pregnancy...

Nope, I am not with a new company now... I was terminated at 5 months of pregnancy and it was impossible to find another job after that job... And shortly after, I am now pregnant with another so ya, no work for me now... Will be SAHM till kids go to childcare I think... See how it goes...

Sorry for the long post! The unpleasant thoughts all came back at once and I had to pen them down to let off some steam! Hehe... =P

Last edited:

Triquetra

I don't think I did anything majorly wrong but of course, when they asked me to go, they dug out all the errors I have committed in the past... Which employee doesn't make mistakes? I don't think it warrants the need to mention such "overdue" errors again right? Moreover, if those errors were so serious to begin with, I could have been dealt with then and not now, right?

Another thing was that I got a fat bonus in Dec 2009 and I informed them I was pregnant in Jan 2010... In Mar 2010, they warned about the decline in work performance and even put it in writing and in May, I was asked to go... What do you gals think? All these happened within a short span of time, even though they gave me a good bonus just before they knew about my pregnancy... When later I argued about this point, they said oh, my bonus was one of the lowest amongst all the other staff... BUT when during the year end review, they did not mention that much of an unsatisfactory performance from me (of course there will be a few minor ones but nothing like really major)... So it's kinda crap, right?

I did not continue with the fight as I was really stressed during that pregnancy and emotionally down... Didn't think it was worth the emotional breakdown which may affect my pregnancy or whatsoever... Moreover, I am fighting against a bunch of lawyers (I was working in law firm), as well as all their staff whom they asked (or forced) to sign statements to prove that they are nice to their staff... I felt that I was fighting the fight alone and it stressed me further... So ya, gave up in the end... Cos like I said, don't think it was worth the emotional roller coster ride after all... I might as well try and stay happy for the remaining of my pregnancy...

Nope, I am not with a new company now... I was terminated at 5 months of pregnancy and it was impossible to find another job after that job... And shortly after, I am now pregnant with another so ya, no work for me now... Will be SAHM till kids go to childcare I think... See how it goes...

Sorry for the long post! The unpleasant thoughts all came back at once and I had to pen them down to let off some steam! Hehe... =P
Actually you were already protected under The Child Development Co-Savings Act at 5 months pregnancy.

xicloudix

Hey D, I am one of your customers! You should know lah... Haha... Congrats! Your number what child? =D

hehe yes... My No.2.... No.1 is 13mths now....

ur No.1 also quite small.. how u cope??? i feel very weak, weaker than 1st pregnancy... i think coz too near apart... what about u?

AngieTan

hehe yes... My No.2.... No.1 is 13mths now....

ur No.1 also quite small.. how u cope??? i feel very weak, weaker than 1st pregnancy... i think coz too near apart... what about u?
Ya, tell me about it... I don't know how I am going to cope! But I still have to manage somehow... Didn't expect no. 2 to be so fast on the way but well, since it's fated that way, then so be it... =D

When your no. 2 is out, no. 1 how many months already? When I pop my no. 2, no. 1 is about 14 to 15 months and I think I will go crazy cos I think no. 1 is just learning how to walk, climb, you know, have to watch him real close to avoid accidents and still got a newborn to take care of! Oh my! I can't imagine! Haha... =x

This pregnancy started after 6 months from delivery so I also worried "factory" haven't recover yet then it's not good... But it feels the same as my previous pregnancy... Only more tired and a bit light-headed at times... You take care, gal... Eat more tonics... Hehe... But think not right now... Later then can take tonics right?

Last edited:

AngieTan

Actually you were already protected under The Child Development Co-Savings Act at 5 months pregnancy.
Under that Act, what am I protected for? I know 5 months and above, they can't terminate someone who is pregnant but they played game like it was due to my poor working performance, you see? So it's gonna be tough for me to prove otherwise...

Triquetra

Under that Act, what am I protected for? I know 5 months and above, they can't terminate someone who is pregnant but they played game like it was due to my poor working performance, you see? So it's gonna be tough for me to prove otherwise...
I was "retrenched" when I was 3+ months pregnant. I booked an appt with MOM and went to see my MP who then wrote to MOM. In the end the officer helped me to negotiate for 2 months compensation, MOM also referred my case to MCYS and I managed to get the 8 weeks government paid maternity leave as well :)

AngieTan

I was "retrenched" when I was 3+ months pregnant. I booked an appt with MOM and went to see my MP who then wrote to MOM. In the end the officer helped me to negotiate for 2 months compensation, MOM also referred my case to MCYS and I managed to get the 8 weeks government paid maternity leave as well :)
What was their reason for retrenching you? I did get some payment in return but it was meant to be kind of an ex-gratia payment to make them look good I guess... So in total, you got 2 months compensation PLUS 8 weeks paid maternity leave or?

I guess I really should have just went to the MP as my hubby suggested... Sigh... Maybe the letter would have weighed more and the MOM officer will act in a more efficient manner... He kept telling me, my case is not a good case... =/

ihmdweh

WAHhhhhhhhhhhhh okok u need to teach me if i get sacked!!!

Triquetra

What was their reason for retrenching you? I did get some payment in return but it was meant to be kind of an ex-gratia payment to make them look good I guess... So in total, you got 2 months compensation PLUS 8 weeks paid maternity leave or?

I guess I really should have just went to the MP as my hubby suggested... Sigh... Maybe the letter would have weighed more and the MOM officer will act in a more efficient manner... He kept telling me, my case is not a good case... =/
I was 'retrenched' during recession so their reason was the cost blah blah. However there wasn't any retrenchment exercise and I was 'retrenched' within a few days after I informed them about my pregnancy. I didn't work very long for the company so retrenchment benefits was not compulsory. They didn't offer any compensation of any sort.

In the letter which my MP wrote to MOM, they highlighted the date of my appointment. I was extremely lucky that my last day of work fell in the first day of my last 6 months pregnancy so I was protected under the other act (not the employment act). So in the end my employer compensated an 'ex-gratia payment' of 2 months salary.

Yah in the end I get 2 months salary from my employer and 8 weeks government paid maternity from MCYS :)

You should have told the officer that you would like to go ahead and lodge a complaint. MOM will then conduct an investigation on the company etc.