Edd Nov 2010

alstars

increase the time you pump. start with 15 minutes. even if there's no milk after 10 mins just continue for 5 minutes more. then after there's milk for 15 minutes, increase by 5 minutes each time. it works for me. now i pump for 30 minutes at least and i get about 140-220ml in total each time. it is really possible. i started pumping and get a few drops at the beginning. i couldn't even form 1 proper layer in the bottle. pumping helps to increase supply.

another thing is, dont't look at the bottle to see how much milk. at the beginning i kept staring at the bottle and wondering why so little milk during the whole pumping duration. after that, i just surf on my laptop and chill. it works! before you know it, there will be lots of milk in the bottle. maybe it's just psychological but i think it reduces your stress level and thus, more milk!

Hi, thanks for sharing..currently I am doing partial breastfeeding but these few days halfway during the latch on sessions, my boy will scream and shout, duno whether is my milk fast letdown or low milk supply for him that's y he feel inpatient to continue to suck. Once this happens, I change sides every time he cries and if this still happens, I will give him FM le, no choice..
I thought of pumping out my milk and give him through bottle too but every time I pump is nt alot..i have been taking fenugreek ( a kind of herb supplement to increase the milk supply) but sometimes it helps only. Wow, You have so much milk when u pump, is it everytime u have alot of milk being pump out? How u do it and did u eat anything to increase ur milk supply? Hw many hrs in btw u pump ur milk?
I will try ur method and see I can pump more milk out. thanks

eurostar

With the CL gone and all up to me And Hubby. Sleep
Is now a luxurious item to me. And simply no time for other
Stuff such as surfing net haha. Sure missed those undisturbed sleep

no wonder u seldom online now lolxxxx
else during preggy period u machiam 24 hr online lolxxx
lets plan a meet up one of the days :)

Edwinie

increase the time you pump. start with 15 minutes. even if there's no milk after 10 mins just continue for 5 minutes more. then after there's milk for 15 minutes, increase by 5 minutes each time. it works for me. now i pump for 30 minutes at least and i get about 140-220ml in total each time. it is really possible. i started pumping and get a few drops at the beginning. i couldn't even form 1 proper layer in the bottle. pumping helps to increase supply.

another thing is, dont't look at the bottle to see how much milk. at the beginning i kept staring at the bottle and wondering why so little milk during the whole pumping duration. after that, i just surf on my laptop and chill. it works! before you know it, there will be lots of milk in the bottle. maybe it's just psychological but i think it reduces your stress level and thus, more milk!

Hi, thanks for sharing..currently I am doing partial breastfeeding but these few days halfway during the latch on sessions, my boy will scream and shout, duno whether is my milk fast letdown or low milk supply for him that's y he feel inpatient to continue to suck. Once this happens, I change sides every time he cries and if this still happens, I will give him FM le, no choice..
I thought of pumping out my milk and give him through bottle too but every time I pump is nt alot..i have been taking fenugreek ( a kind of herb supplement to increase the milk supply) but sometimes it helps only. Wow, You have so much milk when u pump, is it everytime u have alot of milk being pump out? How u do it and did u eat anything to increase ur milk supply? Hw many hrs in btw u pump ur milk?
I will try ur method and see I can pump more milk out. thanks
Sometimes my boy will latch on and keep grumbling. And then his face turn red, unlatch and start crying. Then I have to offer him my nipple and he continue to suck, and grumble and face turn red then unlatch then cry and the cycle continues. Even when I give him bottle, he will still do it sometimes. Initially, I thought I have not enough milk, fast let down, etc. But he does the same thing to the bottle.. So until now I don't know what is the cause. when he does it, i will be patient and keep trying to latch/bottlefeed him. no choice.. does your son do the same?

Pump after baby feed, both breast. make sure all the milk is out and then add 5 minutes. But I repeat my word of caution because now my flow is very strong and my let down is strong because of the pumping. My son cannot take it (cough because of the fast flow). Too much pumping I guess. I got lots of supply now, which is good for accumulating as I'm starting school next week. Stress = drop in supply so I'm preparing. I realise that my son fuss lesser with the bottle compared to breast. That was what made me pump more in the first place. I was sad when I decided not to latch him direct because of the closeness I felt with him. But I got over it soon. He feeds better, faster and less fuss with bottle.

My goal is to pump and bottle feed him without latching at all. So take my schedule with a pinch of salt if you don't intend to do that and continue latching. Initially, I latch him on, and then pump the rest of the milk, plus 5 minutes after the milk is drained. Then once my supply start increasing, I slowly gave more bottle than breast until he is totally on bottle. Then, I pump every 4 hours, from 15 minutes milk flow + 5 minutes stimulation, 20 minutes milk flow + 5 minutes stimulation, 25 minutes milk flow + 5 minutes stimulation and so on. When I reach about 180ml in total, I stop stimulating the extra minutes as I don't want oversupply. I chose 180 ml because my storage container maximum 180ml. Haha!! Sometimes, when I get over 180ml, I simply put the extra in the fridge and feed him when he's hungry. Right now, my pumping schedule currently is as follows. 5am, 10am, 3pm, 7pm, 12am (plus minus 1 hour). 5 times a day. I give 4-6 hours in between each pump. I do curse and swear when my alarm goes off at 5am and I need to pump with eyes half close. my total volume ranges from 140-220ml. The drawbacks of this schedule is, when I go out to run errands, I have to make it within 4-5 hours and then rush home to pump. Otherwise, my breast will be hard and leak like crazy. Hopefully I can handle this when I return to school.

Initially, I have to pump and feed the milk to my baby immediately. As my supply increases, I'm slowly able to have extra milk to store in the freezer. From zero bottles to 10 bottles of 160ml each and still increasing. I started pumping with just a few drops in the bottle I almost regret buying a pump. So just a word of encouragement, it is possible. Just persevere!

Anyway, when I had low supply, I scout the forum for what strategies others use to increase their supply especially with the help of pumping. Ultimately, it's trial and error because different mum has different bodies, different schedule, work commitment, lifestyle etc. what works for me does not work for you. So it's an experiment! Other's experience can only give you an idea, not a solution. You have to come up with your own.

I do not eat any breastfeeding supplements to boost milk supply right now. Before that, towards end of pregnancy, I drank papaya fish head soup. Thomson medical centre gave milk boosting soup during my stay. And first few weeks during confinement I drank a few of such soups. I don't know whether it helps. I wanted to buy milk boosting tea. But all is so expensive and i'm not sure whether they are effective in the first place. So I believe more in physical stimulation then eating something because I can see the effect physically. Seeing is believing. Lol!!

People who have lots of milk started with very little. I had my own frustrations and disappointment. Initially, in the hospital after giving birth, I did not have enough colostrum and baby wasn't satisfied. So the nurses ask me for permission to feed him with glucose water or formula milk. Through the nursery window, I saw the nurse cup feeding my baby with formula milk. The more he drunk, the more heart pain I felt because I want to give him the best gift a mum can give but can't. Sad when I come to think of it. Everyone who is successful in breastfeeding had to work hard. =)

Take your time. No stress. Persevere and enjoy motherhood!!!

noan

My girl oso the same when bf..very grumpy n latch until her face n nose red.

At least your baby still take FM..mine totally refuse FM..till now tried she will spill the milk.

One of my ex collegue told ke tat if we always pump out bm the supply will get lesser..is it true?

Edwinie

At least your baby still take FM..mine totally refuse FM..till now tried she will spill the milk.

One of my ex collegue told ke tat if we always pump out bm the supply will get lesser..is it true?
maybe you can try feeding your baby FM through cup feeding? i read in the breastfeeding forum that some mums swear by it when their babies reject bottle. but if your baby reject fm because of the taste, maybe you can try other brands by getting the samples? sometimes my son suck the bottle and don't swallow. in the end cough or the milk spill out of his mouth. zzz... but lucky it's seldom.

after i exclusively pump, my supply increase from ~80ml to ~220ml per session. right now my baby is 7 weeks. i started exclusively pumping around week 3-4 using the method i posted above. maybe i'm the exception. i don't know. i didn't do any survey about it. but i read a book that says that it is not true too. right now my supply keep increasing and i think i'm going to cut down pumping soon to reduce the supply a bit.. my breast keep leaking. >.<

noan

Thanks Dear, I will try:)So far I try giving her S26 & currently Enfalac.. Both oso she spill out.may b I try the method u mention..

eurostar

i tot keep on pumping the supply should get more and more...my gf who has twin pump 1lites a day for her twin....

eurostar

Thanks Dear, I will try:)So far I try giving her S26 & currently Enfalac.. Both oso she spill out.may b I try the method u mention..
me gave my little one similac since day 1 he born...so far so good so nvr chg
maybe u try other brand to test...just like diaper if it is good dun chg brand......but the brand GOON is realli good but expensive as i get sample to try only

PTB7476

no wonder u seldom online now lolxxxx
else during preggy period u machiam 24 hr online lolxxx
lets plan a meet up one of the days :)
Hahaha yah big diff from preg and now. Bb occupanied most of my time now ESP
Now when Hubby went back to work so basically I am racing with time and try to rest as much as possible or pumping when bb is napping haha

eurostar

Hahaha yah big diff from preg and now. Bb occupanied most of my time now ESP
Now when Hubby went back to work so basically I am racing with time and try to rest as much as possible or pumping when bb is napping haha
just finish pumping milk as i onli pump at nite...feed him 2x a day onli as realli tiring....already taken tablet from gynae for stopping milk flow.....tink 2 days will take effect for no more milk flow as starting work end of jan
and jan gg short trip with my hubby :) ...really need a break....cannot take it sometime

Edwinie

ya respect her determination as she do it for 1 whole yr .....
is she a stay at home mum? so much determination! i was cursing and swearing about the inconvenience when i start breastfeeding for the first few weeks. breastfeeding on demand is really tiring. but after that i got used to it and settle to the routine. my wish is to continue to at least 6 months and then cut down when he start solids but still produce enough for 1 morning drink and night drink.

i'm still finding a solution how to juggle school schedule with my pumping schedule... if really can't fit i have to cut down and maybe sub with formula and there goes my wish..

you mentioned that you took pills to stop the flow. is there side effects?

is she a stay at home mum? so much determination! i was cursing and swearing about the inconvenience when i start breastfeeding for the first few weeks. breastfeeding on demand is really tiring. but after that i got used to it and settle to the routine. my wish is to continue to at least 6 months and then cut down when he start solids but still produce enough for 1 morning drink and night drink.

i'm still finding a solution how to juggle school schedule with my pumping schedule... if really can't fit i have to cut down and maybe sub with formula and there goes my wish..

you mentioned that you took pills to stop the flow. is there side effects?
My massage lady told me of a way to stop milk flow.. She pump once in the morning.. When engorge use cabbage leaves .. It will stop the flow naturally

PTB7476

just finish pumping milk as i onli pump at nite...feed him 2x a day onli as realli tiring....already taken tablet from gynae for stopping milk flow.....tink 2 days will take effect for no more milk flow as starting work end of jan
and jan gg short trip with my hubby :) ...really need a break....cannot take it sometime
huh? you stopping the BM and how come you start work so fast ...you not taking the full 4 months ? so good going away on trip... i have to wait til bb abit older then go holiday now too young to go

Edwinie

My massage lady told me of a way to stop milk flow.. She pump once in the morning.. When engorge use cabbage leaves .. It will stop the flow naturally
wa.. must be painful... i scared infection using this method. think i'll slowly cut down.. i scared pain. >.<

banner82

just finish pumping milk as i onli pump at nite...feed him 2x a day onli as really tiring....already taken tablet from gynae for stopping milk flow.....tink 2 days will take effect for no more milk flow as starting work end of jan

Hi, i understand that taking the pill to stop milk production can shrink your breast size (pre-pregnancy size). I actually overheard this from my roommate's gynae. Anyone ever heard of this?

wa.. must be painful... i scared infection using this method. think i'll slowly cut down.. i scared pain. >.<
Will get infection meh? Anyways this is the method that is taught by tmc for engorement during the initial stage isn't it? Haa wat is more painful than labour pain which we already gone through? Hee Hee

Edwinie

Will get infection meh? Anyways this is the method that is taught by tmc for engorement during the initial stage isn't it? Haa wat is more painful than labour pain which we already gone through? Hee Hee
TMC says engorgement use cabbage leaf and try to let baby suckle or use pump to remove milk. but just letting the breast engorge and not pump out at all will be very bad! if too much milk, there can be blocked ducts. and with blocked ducts, infection might occur. not sure what's the risk percentage though. i'll figure it out when i decide to stop breastfeeding. haha! no plans to stop any time soon.

TMC says engorgement use cabbage leaf and try to let baby suckle or use pump to remove milk. but just letting the breast engorge and not pump out at all will be very bad! if too much milk, there can be blocked ducts. and with blocked ducts, infection might occur. not sure what's the risk percentage though. i'll figure it out when i decide to stop breastfeeding. haha! no plans to stop any time soon.
Hee Hee dunno leh.. This is the method my massage lady use it to stop her breast milk.. My mum did not give me breast milk.. She also took med from the gynae .. I guess it's ok ba to eat med to stop milk flow
ya lor rite now is to give our babies wat is best for them.. Hopefully I can preservere for longer period of feeding her breast milk cos my bb girl also dun really like FM.. She will reject n cry initially.. Only when no choice n hungry then she drink.. My mil blame me feeding her only breast milk n tell me if I dun have milk then how? I was so sad when I heard this