EDD Nov 2012 mummies here

Hi terwinkle

Oh..so hospital might ask us to give formulae if they think our milk is little. But I thought first 3 days no milk is ok..y they say ur milk is little & must give formulae? Which hospital u stay? Coz I read once we give abit formulae in hospital, we can't do total breastfeed areadi..is it true?

Hi wobblymummy

So u doing total breastfeed during hospital stay till now or u have mix partial formulae in hospital? :)

We should keep latch to ensure more milk supply, rite? We only use pump when we feel engorged or if bb sleep too long so we pump to ensure regular supply or bb didn't emptied breast well, rite? If bb latch well, we don't need to pump at all, rite?

Thanks

Mreow Mreow

Hi terwinkle

Oh..so hospital might ask us to give formulae if they think our milk is little. But I thought first 3 days no milk is ok..y they say ur milk is little & must give formulae? Which hospital u stay? Coz I read once we give abit formulae in hospital, we can't do total breastfeed areadi..is it true?

Hi wobblymummy

So u doing total breastfeed during hospital stay till now or u have mix partial formulae in hospital? :)

We should keep latch to ensure more milk supply, rite? We only use pump when we feel engorged or if bb sleep too long so we pump to ensure regular supply or bb didn't emptied breast well, rite? If bb latch well, we don't need to pump at all, rite?

Thanks

Barneybaby, thats what i though too!! :)
that first 3days no milk is ok...
isnt it supposed to come in only about 2-3days later?
and that just that little colostrum during the first few days is sufficient...

so confusing

Hi Mreow Mreow

Yup.. I also feel confuse.

Can we just latch on without pumping if we don't feel engogored, etc?

Or doing both pumping & latching together is better to get more milk supply?

I thought first few days don't need to pump but saw wobblymummy & terwinkle wrote that they start pumping at hospital areadi?

My antenatal class also taught that should latch on from day 1. Even if no milk but the suckling will promote lactation. Also said that baby tummy will have sufficient reserve for the first two days so no milk is okay.

Ok I started off with breastfeeding or latching for the first 3 days then when my confinement lady came .. She ask me to use a pump , firstly to see how much milk in producing , secondly to ensure baby has enough intake. Cos when I came bk .. My bb cried whole night.. Cos I producing insufficient milk which I dunno at that time.. I felt do sorry to see him cry n cry.. So really need to mix with formula first.. Once ur milk supply gets more then u can slowly reserved formula if u r busy to pump next tone round.. Milk supply should come in the following wk. pls feel free to ask .. Cos I m also first time mum n luckily I have my mother in law n confinement lady n of cos all of u to share :)
Dun be frustrated ..

teriwinkle

Nope, I did not pump during my stay in the hospital. Only latched on and didn't know I was not producing milk at all until the nurses said my baby is not peeing or pooping. So sharing the same sentiments as wobblymummy, I had no choice but to let my girl drink formula milk first even though I had insisted on total breastfeed before delivery.

Still not producing milk but only colostrum on my 4th day. Cries. Wobblymummy, do I need to pump/latch on every 2 hourly to stimulate it?

Hi Teriwinkle dun cry.. Everything gotta be alright. Gd that u r producing colostrum now. Sometimes maybe becos of the epidural which slows down breastfeeding or other consequences. Every body is different . I think u just need. To relax. Do u have a confinement lady? Who is doing confinement for u ? I did massage my breast every time b4 I pump. Then while I pump I put a hot pad onto continue to massage. My confinement lady ask me to drink formula milk for breastfeeding mum twice a day n in for my meals she cook fish brew with papaya soup. Quite gd last pump ard 35 ml for half an hr. but my bb is eating 60 ml now.. Faint.. But I jus try my best via breast feeding is always better. JiAyou.

teriwinkle

My mum is helping me with confinement. How regular do you pump? I place warm towel before massaging them then pump. But the whole thing is so tedious I start to get tired easily and can't pump regularly. Looks like you are doing good!

wobblymummy:711433 said:
Hi Teriwinkle dun cry.. Everything gotta be alright. Gd that u r producing colostrum now. Sometimes maybe becos of the epidural which slows down breastfeeding or other consequences. Every body is different . I think u just need. To relax. Do u have a confinement lady? Who is doing confinement for u ? I did massage my breast every time b4 I pump. Then while I pump I put a hot pad onto continue to massage. My confinement lady ask me to drink formula milk for breastfeeding mum twice a day n in for my meals she cook fish brew with papaya soup. Quite gd last pump ard 35 ml for half an hr. but my bb is eating 60 ml now.. Faint.. But I jus try my best via breast feeding is always better. JiAyou.

Teriwinkle it really take some times. Try to pump for 15 min each breast. While u pump then massage ur breast with the hot towel. R u using a manual or electric pump? Jus let it pump. Dun worry abt how much milk yet once it flows then it comes naturally. A little them slowly it will flows smoothly . Drink hot red dates before u pump, it will warm ur body.

teriwinkle

I'm using electric pump. Today seems better, can see 5ml of milk lol. Do you pump 15mins nonstop for each side or 5mins alternate each side for 3 times? Thanks for letting me know red dates drink help before pumping.

wobblymummy:711515 said:
Teriwinkle it really take some times. Try to pump for 15 min each breast. While u pump then massage ur breast with the hot towel. R u using a manual or electric pump? Jus let it pump. Dun worry abt how much milk yet once it flows then it comes naturally. A little them slowly it will flows smoothly . Drink hot red dates before u pump, it will warm ur body.

GG2012

So moonbeam so it's normal to have the meconium poo for a few days? I m not sure cos my confinement lady said baby is having insufficient milk that why Poo is black. Maybe what she meant is once its sufficient it can clear the meconium n bb poo be yellowish :)
I'm using electric pump. Today seems better, can see 5ml of milk lol. Do you pump 15mins nonstop for each side or 5mins alternate each side for 3 times? Thanks for letting me know red dates drink help before pumping.
Seems pumping breast milk reli not a easy job, jiayou Teriwinkle & Wobblymummy. And what I heard is the mummy need to relax and rest well too^^

I hope I can do it successfully too after my baby is born :)

Hi teriwinkle n wobblymummy, I met with a gf yday and she told me try to latch on instead of pumping. She pumped for her first baby and ended up didnt have much milk production. Something for you to consider :)

Gd news. 5ml is gd . Slowly it wilI have more ;) i pump 15 min each side. Then switch, i suggest u go to get those heat pad cos it can last longer. U need to massage a bit whilE pumping too. Try to keep ur body warm before u pump. Not easy but let's jiayou tgt. My last pump is 50ml. Hope it can reach 60ml so I need not give formula :)

teriwinkle

I started out latching most of the time but my girl just falls asleep probably because I have no milk. Subsequently she also wailed loudly for milk even though I'm breastfeeding her.

Katherine57:711619 said:
Hi teriwinkle n wobblymummy, I met with a gf yday and she told me try to latch on instead of pumping. She pumped for her first baby and ended up didnt have much milk production. Something for you to consider :)

different sources seem to quote different views... some say ok some prefer to supplement with formula if no milk

its more the method of giving formula - some are afraid if give formula thru bottle will make it harder for baby to learn/accept latching on.. some give formula with cup or those supplemental nursing system but it doesnt look easy!

my MIL that breastfeeds say just hv to keep giving baby breast every few hrs in beginning to stimulate supply. if pump, dont pump more than 15mins+ each breast at once or might b sore
milkmaid tea supposedly helps too - 3-4 cups a day to boost production

dont despair! maybe you can try calling the lactation consultant - KK hosp has a hotline to help. getting help early might be better to help you with your goal to exclusively breastfeed. hang in there and persevere!

Barneybaby, thats what i though too!! :)
that first 3days no milk is ok...
isnt it supposed to come in only about 2-3days later?
and that just that little colostrum during the first few days is sufficient...

so confusing

momtobe2012

Just delivered baby boy 10 days before EDD :) he was only 3.2 kg. i was having period like cramps and lower back pain for 2 nights and 1 day.. Then saw bright red blood and rushed to hospital and cervix was already dilated to 3 cm.. Did check up with gynae 2 days ago but at that time cervix was closed.. So mommies, pls do not upset if your cervix is still close, it can dialate any time and not to overlook your "show" symptoms.. I also really didnt expect to deliver so early since my cervix was closed and People said period like cramps and back pain is quite normal.

Chewysee

Until now i dont feel regular bh contractions and dont have any pelvic pains or period-like cramps or heartburn. does it mean my baby hasn't dropped yet and will be overdue?? 38 weeks today