EDD Nov 2012 mummies here

Hi all, yesterday I started taking care of bb on my own. It was ok cos my mum came over till evening, but bb can't get into sleep till 12am . Wonder is it becos he miss the confinement auntie. Today is bad. Cos no one is at hm. I try to bathe him n suddenly he feel hungry n cry. I m kinda at a lost cos everytime is myself n auntie handling him :( Bb cried , I also cried. I felt super useless at that time. I can't do much of housework n stuff. N I think I hav no time to pump :"(
May I know how long do u take to warm ur ebm before giving to ur BB?

Cindylam

Hi mummies! I gave birth to my baby girl on 20th Nov 2012 Tuesday at 00.17am at Thomson Medical Centre. She is 2.88kg and 49cm long. She likes to be breastfed and seems to have a big appetite. We are still at hospital as she needs to stay to recuperate from jaundice. Hope she can go home with us tomorrow. Please pray for us.

GG2012

Congrats Cindy!

Dun be upset Wobblymummy, I think all of us gonna face the same problem, try to take over our kid ourselves. I believe we can handle it better n better while we getting understand our kid much more!
Jiayou together ^^

Wobblymummy, I haven't gone to that stage yet but I so feel u! Today my baby suddenly woke from sleep n cried n cannot be soothed so I changed his soiled diaper n he still continued crying. While my mum warms up the ebm, I tried to latch him on but he suckles a while then will yell his head off. After trying a while, I had to switch to the bottle to feed him but he was too hungry I think and drank too fast and choked after a while then refused to drink anymore. I got so upset also because I felt like I can't read his pattern n I also cannot feed him well n got him choked then in the end, he refused to drink the milk anymore. Was crying to my hubby about what a failure mother I am. My mum said all new mummies go thru such phases, no one is born knowing how to walk n run so we all have to learn but I'm also worried abt when my confinement ends n my mum goes back home n I m alone with baby, what will happen....

B zhai

Barney baby n joasiss, ny finger knuckles also pain. It was since pregnancy. But it is slowly getting better. Hope it will go off soon eventually. I google on this before. You can try to search abt it too. It is a pregnancy complication. And shd recover after birth.

SGNZ

Congrats Cindy.

Hi Wobblymummy,

I understand how you feel, I have not share with all of you my experience in the NZ hospital as I been crying for days ever since I was there. I was being thrown into deep end because over here, they leave baby with the mum 24/7 the minute baby was born. My husband was with me from morning till night 10.30pm everyday so he can help me out. But even that, it was quite tiring as we need to look after the baby ourselves(feeding, change nappy etc) and when baby cry, we ring the nurse(so -called midwife), they will just come in and see what you need or help a bit and leave the room again. And at night, once my husband left, I was by my own looking after the baby all the way till next day when my hubby arrive. I had sleepless night for 4 nights because the midwife did not even help me to look after the baby and give me time to rest. I never felt so tired in my life and also I had no idea why baby was crying, I was going through the breastfeeding process for the first few days where only little colostrum. Nipples was sored and baby constantly crying and over here, they heavily promoting breastfeeding here and discourage formula unless we insist. And silly me, without experience, not realizing baby was hungry as I trusted them and did ask them whether baby need to top up formula since he keep crying, they say is normal. Then on the 3rd day, due to malnutrition, baby was diagnos with jaundice and I was really angry. But I can't do anything and I really want to go home badly as I was so tired , my back is breaking imagine I had to change nappy , fed the baby, calm him down and most nights, I was running around continuously for 3-4 hours without even had the time to sit down or lie down. Plus I had a c-section. Luckily, my wound was good and i hardly felt any pain otherwise I can't imagine looking after the baby. And I can't discharge earlybecause baby was under the UV light treatment hence i need to stay and look after him. And guess what, I need to look after the baby myself again under the light making sure he is lying there and covering his eyes. So I had another sleepless night.

So that was the tramautising part of the first 5 days.Currently at home, everytime when baby is very unsettles like this few days and it seem that I am not able to burp him very well, that might also cause him to feel uncomfortable. And I felt very useless at time, as I do feel overwhelming and helpless I guess from the experience I been through even from day 1. Conversely, my hubby is very good and calm at handling the baby, so whenever hubby not around, I had to handle baby by myself and he is not settle, I get panic and nervous. So imagine for us, we are so on our own, so wobblymummy, not to worry so much as we all face the same.

SGNZ, did not know that you had to underwent such traumatizing time straight after delivery!! Let's all hang in there!! How's your feeding now? Still bf or supplementing with fm?

I'm thinking if I should pump every 5 hrs instead of 3 hrs. Do u mummies think it will affect the milk supply? 3hrs is really quite hard to stick to. Either baby needs change diaper or needs feeding etc and I will miss my schedule. Now with my mum around, I can still throw baby to her to feed or burp etc but once she leaves I think it's hard. Esp if baby is not feeding every 3 hrs but like every 2 hrs. Also I noticed that when I pumped 5 hrs, I tend to clear the whole breast. Need longer of cos, 30min instead of the usual 15 min but after pumping, breasts are really soft and feels empty unlike after 3 hrs, still have some heaviness in them.

GG2012

Oh poor u...SGNZ~ I can imagine how tired you were, coz I was in c-sec too, I was very weak in the first few days.
Hope you have a better rest at home and good time with ur baby!

nature59

Congrats Cindy.

Hi Wobblymummy,

I understand how you feel, I have not share with all of you my experience in the NZ hospital as I been crying for days ever since I was there. I was being thrown into deep end because over here, they leave baby with the mum 24/7 the minute baby was born. My husband was with me from morning till night 10.30pm everyday so he can help me out. But even that, it was quite tiring as we need to look after the baby ourselves(feeding, change nappy etc) and when baby cry, we ring the nurse(so -called midwife), they will just come in and see what you need or help a bit and leave the room again. And at night, once my husband left, I was by my own looking after the baby all the way till next day when my hubby arrive. I had sleepless night for 4 nights because the midwife did not even help me to look after the baby and give me time to rest. I never felt so tired in my life and also I had no idea why baby was crying, I was going through the breastfeeding process for the first few days where only little colostrum. Nipples was sored and baby constantly crying and over here, they heavily promoting breastfeeding here and discourage formula unless we insist. And silly me, without experience, not realizing baby was hungry as I trusted them and did ask them whether baby need to top up formula since he keep crying, they say is normal. Then on the 3rd day, due to malnutrition, baby was diagnos with jaundice and I was really angry. But I can't do anything and I really want to go home badly as I was so tired , my back is breaking imagine I had to change nappy , fed the baby, calm him down and most nights, I was running around continuously for 3-4 hours without even had the time to sit down or lie down. Plus I had a c-section. Luckily, my wound was good and i hardly felt any pain otherwise I can't imagine looking after the baby. And I can't discharge earlybecause baby was under the UV light treatment hence i need to stay and look after him. And guess what, I need to look after the baby myself again under the light making sure he is lying there and covering his eyes. So I had another sleepless night.

So that was the tramautising part of the first 5 days.Currently at home, everytime when baby is very unsettles like this few days and it seem that I am not able to burp him very well, that might also cause him to feel uncomfortable. And I felt very useless at time, as I do feel overwhelming and helpless I guess from the experience I been through even from day 1. Conversely, my hubby is very good and calm at handling the baby, so whenever hubby not around, I had to handle baby by myself and he is not settle, I get panic and nervous. So imagine for us, we are so on our own, so wobblymummy, not to worry so much as we all face the same.
Hang in there SGNZ! The phase will pass soon once things settle down and forms a routine. You will get better with time!

nature59

Hi mummies! I gave birth to my baby girl on 20th Nov 2012 Tuesday at 00.17am at Thomson Medical Centre. She is 2.88kg and 49cm long. She likes to be breastfed and seems to have a big appetite. We are still at hospital as she needs to stay to recuperate from jaundice. Hope she can go home with us tomorrow. Please pray for us.
Congrats Cindy!

SGNZ

I am supplementing with fm as my bm is not enough. I only pump every 5-8 hours as I am too busy and tired honestly as baby need to feed every 3 hours. And at time he wake up at 1-2 hours want to suck something, so I just give water. I think if I pump more regularly like you, will have more healthy supply of milk. Currently, I only manage to give about 2-3 bm to baby and rest with fm due to the frequency and supply of my bm.

Isaac1112

Hi Mummies,
Sorry for my absence in the forum for so long. Had given birth to baby Isaac on 18th Oct (C-Sect). Had been bz and drained since then. Noticed many mothers had experiences cranky babies after their CL left. Had a youtube link to share, which I find something useful for myself...it helped me to understand some crying patterns of baby...at least i have lesser guessing games now of what baby Isaac really want now, it makes my life slightly easier.

5 words Babies Use (Baby Language).flv - YouTube

teriwinkle

Exact sentiments! :)

nature59:724360 said:
My milk isn't enough so baby is on fm most of the time. Im glad that he's growing well and putting on weight. I was very stressed about latching on and breast feeding the first 2 weeks until my friend reminded me that motherhood is not just about providing breast milk and spending too much time on pumping and forgetting to enjoy the process.
Don't worry too much mummies!

teriwinkle

My girl started crying whenever we put her in air conditioned room in the beginning. Recently she is OK now, probably due to the gain in fats so you won't go without aircon for too long I guess. :)

Katherine57:724530 said:
My baby sleeps better last night when we didn't turn on the aircon. He is less fidgety and sleeps better. Previously he will toss n turn n make noises when sleeping but last night he definitely sleeps better so I guess my aircon nights are gone, at least for the next month or so. Luckily it's not very warm now. May to July, I can die if no aircon.

My boy also started crying for no reason these last few days. I don't know if he is used to being carried because we have to bring him to Polyclinic for jaundice check every other day so he is held quite a lot. I hope he is not getting a habit out of it. It is ok to soothe the baby if he cried continuously and don't stop himself but once he stops and is able to fall asleep, we will lay him down in the cot so he can fall asleep on his own. I read that that is important so baby can identify that sleeping does not need rocking or carrying etc.

Nature, that's quite a good insight! I was really stressed abt bm supply and bottle feeding and latching is painful for me so was really upset. Slowly accepted the notion of bottle feeding and guess I have to slowly accept the notion of not latching also if I really cannot tahan. At least after accepting these, can enjoy the times with baby more like what you said

teriwinkle

I hardly place my ebm in the fridge coz baby can finish them in less than 6 hours. Warming up is the troublesome part coz hungry babies can't wait.

Like what Katherine has said, I'm gonna start pumping every 4-5hours in preparation for the period I need to start taking care of bb on my own.

wobblymummy:724665 said:
Hi all, yesterday I started taking care of bb on my own. It was ok cos my mum came over till evening, but bb can't get into sleep till 12am . Wonder is it becos he miss the confinement auntie. Today is bad. Cos no one is at hm. I try to bathe him n suddenly he feel hungry n cry. I m kinda at a lost cos everytime is myself n auntie handling him :( Bb cried , I also cried. I felt super useless at that time. I can't do much of housework n stuff. N I think I hav no time to pump :"(
May I know how long do u take to warm ur ebm before giving to ur BB?