EDD Oct 2013

spyvonne

quick update on my shopping finds today! hehe! :shyxxx:

paklon playmat at $162 neighborhood price.
normal mats $40-70 neighborhood price.
(expo x 30-60% of the above price).
---

medela fans :
dual electric pump freestyle with wipes etc freebies set $799 after discount at most places now.

Medela mini electric pump only can pump twice a day $99.50 before 15%.
one more advantage against avent is auto massage before latching.
(heard most pple say online buy pumps cheaper).

----
pigeon sterilzer set 2-in-1 $138 if expo with freebies. can use all brand bottles.

----

clothes:
bugis near temple got wholesale clothes, gloves hats etc, similar to kiddypalace types. for basic wear.
bundle price 6@$13 kind.

Last edited:

winniethepooh

Any mummies buy baby carrier already? Can share what brand is recommended? I cant decide between BabyBjörn and Manduca....
Not too sure if I should buy two - each for mummy and daddy, or just buy one.
Hi Karelia,

My husband tested out the Baby Björn carrier at the Motherhood fair. They had this "fake" baby that weighed about 6kg with limpy neck, arms and legs so you can practise on how to put the baby in the carrier and how to take it out (especially the part on supporting the neck, positioning of the arms and legs). It helped us appreciate the various weight distribution (on shoulders only vs on shoulders and waist).

Maybe you can try that out :)

Meowmummy

shucks, no idea what is that... im planning to get medela pump. heard many gd reviews on it.
yeah, i m also still pondering shd get the medela pump, the most exp set "free style" is among the most popular, shd i get a second hand, or US set (but no warranty), brand new set is exp and will be wasted if i dun pump a lot....

Meowmummy

I'm planning to buy Ergo baby. My friend advised me not to buy this early. Shd bring baby to go try out which is more comfy for him
yeah, my friend told me not to invest in baby carrier 1st, cos her baby din like to be in carrier, in the end wasted $$ and she got to sell.

chocobell

yeah, i m also still pondering shd get the medela pump, the most exp set "free style" is among the most popular, shd i get a second hand, or US set (but no warranty), brand new set is exp and will be wasted if i dun pump a lot....
what is the free style for ah? :x

spyvonne

its just medela brand's name. its electronic dual pump.
more atas so more exp than avent.
got massage function before latching.
tts why alot prefer medela.

carrier and pump if can wait then buy after bb deliver ba.
because must see got milk? how much milk? can try in ur delivering hosp (if they provide diff brands to try).
carrier also got few types.
most impt is if u buying specifically for newborn, the neck area must suit and steady.

if not buy a sling first lor. then decide on carrier by bringing bb go test first hehe!

its just medela brand's name. its electronic dual pump.
more atas so more exp than avent.
got massage function before latching.
tts why alot prefer medela.

carrier and pump if can wait then buy after bb deliver ba.
because must see got milk? how much milk? can try in ur delivering hosp (if they provide diff brands to try).
carrier also got few types.
most impt is if u buying specifically for newborn, the neck area must suit and steady.

if not buy a sling first lor. then decide on carrier by bringing bb go test first hehe!
for sling, some said that the support is not there as it is just the cloth.. so it depends on which one u prefer..

For breast pump, i feel that if you want to wait until you give birth and know whether you have the milk flow may be a bit too late as the first few days is usually low or no milk..it gradually would build up as you feed..unless u intend to pump the milk on the 2nd month onwards..then there should be no issue since the milk supply has already build up...

hmmm i'm abit hesitant to wait till after birth before buying, coz some of my peers actually got probs latching so they pump from the beginning. i guess its nice to have a pump ready if we need to, when baby is born.

i still think 799 for medela is too much. haha. cannot get over the price. breastmilk supposed to be free!! and i've seen nothing bad abt the Avent.. even the massage function is not necessary coz not say will have time to massage everytime also. i think it really boils down to personal preference and suitability. and for first timers like me it's a 100% gamble!!!

medela freestyle - most recommended most exp
avent - cheaper, and my friends who use it says its comfy

i'm still in a dilemma. lol.

spyvonne

for sling, some said that the support is not there as it is just the cloth.. so it depends on which one u prefer..

For breast pump, i feel that if you want to wait until you give birth and know whether you have the milk flow may be a bit too late as the first few days is usually low or no milk..it gradually would build up as you feed..unless u intend to pump the milk on the 2nd month onwards..then there should be no issue since the milk supply has already build up...
hihi!

just now i went mothercare, the lady say the reason why pple buy medela was because we got to pump every 2 hours after deliver. first feed is almost immediate after deliver. tts why many bought medela to squeeze more milk she say. and massage la.

ya. if got promo of cos buy first haha!
i may buy near delivery ba.
cos i dun intend buy too expensive ones.
prolly pigeon or avent every time sales de hehe!

spyvonne

but i will be getting manual pump first.
can bring out and can use once delivery + hosp provides while u are there.
duno hows the feel like for each brand actually. so i thinking get medela manual standby only. haha!

hmmm i'm abit hesitant to wait till after birth before buying, coz some of my peers actually got probs latching so they pump from the beginning. i guess its nice to have a pump ready if we need to, when baby is born.

i still think 799 for medela is too much. haha. cannot get over the price. breastmilk supposed to be free!! and i've seen nothing bad abt the Avent.. even the massage function is not necessary coz not say will have time to massage everytime also. i think it really boils down to personal preference and suitability. and for first timers like me it's a 100% gamble!!!

medela freestyle - most recommended most exp
avent - cheaper, and my friends who use it says its comfy

i'm still in a dilemma. lol.
ya..it is definately a gamble as you could not be sure that the pump is suitable for you as everybody is different. I used Avent manual pump previously but then as i pump for almost a year..my thumb and 2nd finger sometimes will ache...most probably will buy Avent electric this time round (on line as it is cheaper)..hehe.

spyvonne

ooo avent online where cheaper?
i tot expo dual avent $550 with gifts cheapest le. haha

aching thumbs issit cos mummies' thumb?

TVH

There is this website that sells medela pumps...but is US set so no warranty. They rent pumps also...I was thinking of renting the motor....at most just buy the accessories...

Www.kulily.com

I also scared to spend so much on breast pump then skali no milk....end up not breast pain but heart v v pain

karelia

Hi Mummies,

thanks for all the advice. I think it makes sense to buy later (i.e. after the baby is born); and it also makes sense to try now - at least you narrow down the choices.
I'll come down to Motherhood to "try". Most likely will go down to Harbour Front, coz it is bigger and has more choices.

:)

Hi Karelia,

My husband tested out the Baby Björn carrier at the Motherhood fair. They had this "fake" baby that weighed about 6kg with limpy neck, arms and legs so you can practise on how to put the baby in the carrier and how to take it out (especially the part on supporting the neck, positioning of the arms and legs). It helped us appreciate the various weight distribution (on shoulders only vs on shoulders and waist).

Maybe you can try that out :)