EDD Sept 2012 mummies!

Kary2500

Ahwang - I have started washing my baby's hair with shampoo from when she was 7 weeks old itself. You jus need very little shampoo and I wash her hair once a week not more than that.. Oh and she has alot of hair.. Not shaved her birth hair yet and not going to either. Ooh and ur baby shares the same bday as me :)

My babys edd was sept 24th but she decided to come out 4 days early on the 20th..

Lingz - If you use the medela pump, have you considered changing the valve and membrane for ur pump set? Ive read in some places that after people have changed that they have been able to get alot more output.

Kary2500

Lina - maybe you can try hand expressing directly into the bottle... Ive tried it a couple of times and its tiring.

I honestly dont kno how u mummies do it.. work n pump... the only times i pump is when i hav to go out without baby..

meltie

hey mummies! ya a mass bday party will be so fun.. and BZ ! coz our little ones will be either crawling or trying to walk around!

I have been manually hand expressing since monday when my nipples really could not take the pressure of the pump and were cracked and bleeding.. my LC told me to go look at the website for stanford university hand expression method video.. basically is to put ur fingers abt an jnch away frm ur areola and push away and press down to pump.. hmm u can google for it.. it was super xiong for first few times! I totally agree that my back, neck, arms, hands, fingers and breasts are aching!!! Press until numb! Need to rest.. wrists n fingers like got arthritis after squeezing for 45mins! I almost gave up expressing but kept on trying coz bb depleting my ebm.. i think it gets easier as ur fingers get stronger? like a massage lady.. lol .. i was super tired pumping out 100ml combined for 1hr plus for a start. Till yesterday, i managed to express out 250ml combined from both sides after 6 hrs.. gotta massage before expressing , and when u squeeze on the right area, can keep squirting... den massage again try another angle, can squirt again.. in fact after expressing for afew days, my supply seems to be back on.... also, during expression, i feel i get more letdowns? squirt like mad n drip everywhere till v messy.. i squirt direct to bottle for storage, try to cover the whole nipple.. but still some flow n drip down ...

I went to see a GP finally after i experienced some pain n itch on thurs morn.. i needed to cfm that i got thrush.. and yes it was confirned without a doubt.. should be due to cracked nipple then led to yeast infection.. but bb doesn't have oral thrush.. i'm avoiding latching for time being.. wah just now fed her bottle, i super engorged but lazy to pump now.. maybe next feed... zzz i was prescribed some potassium permanganate to wash my nipples .. sigh with the sores on it and it is weepy.. sticks to the disposable pads! Like an open wound.. :( ouch.. i hope it goes back to normal..... wad an ordeal.... breastfeeding woes....

Lingz12

thanks kary.. yes I'm using medela.. ok maybe I will go check out the valves and membranes.. hopefully it will pump more efficiently without having to hand express half the time while pumping.. there was once hubby woke up in the middle of the night seeing me hand expressing and asked me why dun I pump instead? I said I jus finished e pump cycle but there's still milk and hand expressing is more effective in emptying e breast! he gave me the i-dun-understand-what-u-are-toking-isnt-pump-supposed-to-make-ur-life-easier look.. :D

justamom

Lingz12:749687 said:
thanks kary.. yes I'm using medela.. ok maybe I will go check out the valves and membranes.. hopefully it will pump more efficiently without having to hand express half the time while pumping.. there was once hubby woke up in the middle of the night seeing me hand expressing and asked me why dun I pump instead? I said I jus finished e pump cycle but there's still milk and hand expressing is more effective in emptying e breast! he gave me the i-dun-understand-what-u-are-toking-isnt-pump-supposed-to-make-ur-life-easier look.. :D
The men always don't get it de.. mine Zzz thru even bb cry he will hmm that's all haha mum's the best!

meltie

Haha ! It's tough expressing milk by hand! I don't know when my nipples are gonna be up for it!

As for pumps efficiency, my LC says only certain pumps are efficient in emptying the breasts, and most pumps lose their efficiency over time.. even with svcing.. mine is a medela mini electric duo plus, she say its not gd.. free style n pump in style have better motor.. hmm as for membranes and valves , i think they get lose , soft over time and cannot hold in the pressure.. the flap not as sturdy.. i think shld change bah.. esp if its after 3 mths.. haha i haven changed mine!

Oh ya .. i have been washing my bb's hair with Mustela shampoo since week 3 when she strted having cradle cap until now.. smells gd and its gentle for new borns! Hmm i wash daily though.. not sure if its too drying.. but my bb sweats alot.. her head stinks w milk n sweat after a whole day!

meltie

Yes my hubby can sleep thru the night even when bb cry like thunder beside him.. he's nearer to the cot than me.. but he can wake up and say he did not hear anything ... sleep like a log! I was just thinking if i can ask him to take over some night duties on weekends so i can get my coveted slp-thru-the-nite.. but then again, i'll be first to be woken up by bb's cries n grunts!

I just hand expressed out 310ml this morning after 10hrs of no pumping... :p gosh hands are so achy now.. pumped for 1 hr plus to empty breasts at 10am.. gosh time is catching up on me.. gonna pump again?! my bb is drinking more these days.. left 2 feeds in fridge.. she's catching up on my freshly pumped ebm! Gotta pump more esp when hubby is ard..

felicity

Wow meltie you are one super mama!! I dunno if I can tahan full hand express. But I know it's cos you need to rest your poor nipples.

I woke up today aching alllll over, especially my right arm, can't lift up without experiencing a sharp pain :( my back, neck, shoulders and waist are aching like mad and my right arm is like no strength and can't do things. Even when I tried to stir n mix the hot and cold water in bathtub for bb's bathe this morning, I tried w right arm n hurting like crazy :(

was a chore bathing baby today... Esp when washing her hair. Or I still wash the newborn style, didn't shampoo her hair. Anyway so when I tried to support her neck with my right arm, my right has no strength to support, but when I support with left arm, when I do the action of dipping the cloth into the tub, bring up to her head, wipe around the head n repeat etc, my right arm hurt :( hope the pain goes away soon without having to see doc!! Hubby bought a box of salonpas plasters for me...

ahwang

Hey mummies does drinking plenty of fluid really helps with increasing bm. I been ensuring I tk lots of fluid but don't seems to see supply gg up. Only keep gg to toilet, so how does the fluid gets retain in body to generate bm? Don't tell me I got to hold back my urine. Any mummies realised need to pee more often ? Ie. Can't hold pee longer than before after deliver? I seems to have this prob, not sure is it of walking or standing too much aft delivery .

reiann

Ahwang - fluid intake is not enough to increase supply. Supply of milk is v simple. Just get baby to latch on more often and for longer periods. And then pump. Eg after baby fed, even of you feel breasts are empty, pump. Then after an hour, pump again. Then get baby to latch at his next feeding. This way, the emptying of breasts will signal to brain to increase production.

ahwang

I know latching is the best way, but my boy can't latch at all n me having short nipple. Even despite pumping so many mRNA nipple still short gosh. So I exclusive pumping for him plus supplementing with fm as obviously my body can't generate enuf milk without bb latching to stimulate milk. How I envy mummy who can latch their bb as I really miss out this special bonding .

justamom

ahwang:749784 said:
I know latching is the best way, but my boy can't latch at all n me having short nipple. Even despite pumping so many mRNA nipple still short gosh. So I exclusive pumping for him plus supplementing with fm as obviously my body can't generate enuf milk without bb latching to stimulate milk. How I envy mummy who can latch their bb as I really miss out this special bonding .
Ahwang Same here I drink more but go toilet more also.. duno bm will increase more or nt.. I only pump up to 100-110ml for one feed only..nw my boy rejects bottle.. sigh..few days ago still.OK..drink..today cry like hell.. then gave in.. sigh..

justamom

Felicity go visit chien chi tow.. they will 'tui' for u..I had bkache before.. n went there.. works wonders..at least relieve pain..rest n let hub or mil bathe bb for the moment ba...

justamom

Meltie 310,ml! I envy u So much! I only pump 100-110ml the most n takes So long time lo.. everyday pump once cos notti boy needs attention.. rest of his sleep periods are for me to cook n Eat ,shower ,cutting his nails,hang laundry..barely enough time at all!

reiann

ok ahwang. I understand, yes.

I have a colleague whose baby is now about 10 months old. for the first 6 months, she pumped exclusively and fed her baby only bm. I don't know how she did it - but she had some nipple issue too, and her baby can't latch. but she still gave only bm. I'll ask her how she did it, ok? I'm seeing her on tuesday when I return to work :( :(

ahwang

Thanks reiann. Whoa ur colleagues is sure impressive. I just cant have enuf milk for my boy.feeding. now even resort to getting milk from others mummy donation as I want to.feed him with mote bm as infantcsre tend to.fall sick easily.

lizzy2101

Thanks lingz i already emailed them! Was planning to take photo for ethan when he turns 6 months old instead of newborn or any age below 6 months but his dad wants to take photo of him before his tooth came out fully lol aoni need to bring him for photo this week!