EDD September 2013 Mummies

skt

A mummy : I believe most of us have gone through the detailed scan? :)

Heh, I am having a princess! so many pretty things to buy for dressing up! Keeping a lookout at Qoo10 for more baby accessories.

chweewy

Hi-5 skt, mine is princess too. I onli bought a 2nd hand cot. Still pondering what I want for hand-me down n what I want to buy new..confused...

anyone can suggest what really need to buy new?

A mummy

A mummy : I believe most of us have gone through the detailed scan? :)

Heh, I am having a princess! so many pretty things to buy for dressing up! Keeping a lookout at Qoo10 for more baby accessories.
Congrats... welcome to the princessy club.=)

A mummy

Hi-5 skt, mine is princess too. I onli bought a 2nd hand cot. Still pondering what I want for hand-me down n what I want to buy new..confused...

anyone can suggest what really need to buy new?
Pram you can have a second hand. It's quite pricey unless you are trying another baby after this, worth to buy a new one=)

A mummy

But you dont have to get everything if you think there's no need.Just a checklist of things out there so you wont miss out on the necessary stuffs=)

Its a good list.
Some other mummies do contribute some other stuffs. But here is a good one.
baby bottle cleanser
Baby bath (J&J top to toe wash)
Baby Clothes detergent
Baby clothes (Fox, cotton on, kiddy palace, mothercare - ON SALE)
Baby Cot
Breast Pump
Baby Bath Tub (depends on which hospital you going, Mount A provides free bath tub)
Olive Oil or baby oil for cradle cap
baby powder (J&J)
Baby Sling
Baby's handkerchief
bib
swaddle blanket
Bottle & nipple brush
Bottle Thermal bag (Avent)
Car Seat
cotton balls (for cleaning bottom)
diaper rash cream
diapers (new born & Size S)
Feeding chair
hair brush
hats
Lamp (Ikea) – for night feeding
mattress cover
Mattress for cot
Milk Bottles
nail clipper
Pails (for baby clothes & bottles)
playmat
portable cot sheet
powder container
socks (0-6 months)
Steam Sterilizer for bottles
Teats (2 months) M size
Teether (3 months+)
Towels
wet wipes (Big Pack)
wet wipes (Small Pack)
Disposable Breast pads
Breastfeeding bras
changing mat (ikea)
Changing Table with cabinet
baby bolster
Bath Thermometer (optional)
drinking cup (6 months +)
Pacifier (0-5 months)
Stroller (can buy after birth)
Jig saw puzzle mat

chweewy

mrsvistamio:790756 said:
Hi mummies, about the 8 wks govt paid maternity leave, my HR told me we need to produce birth cert not edd letter, is it true ?
Mrsvistamio: true. My hr oso asked the same.

A mummy, actually what ur gynae is doing is so his work is made easier.. Gravity is the best help wen we're giving birth, coz baby is pushing down n we're also helping by pushing baby out.. Baby wont be able to juz fall out of the birth canal; unless itz premature or weighs less than 2kg at full term (which is rare in S'pore).. Lying down is NOT a gd position to birth baby, coz it is like pushing baby uphill.. I pushed my 1st out lyinh down; n at the end of the birth i was too worn out.. 2nd birth, i pushed my baby out (all by myself!) whilst sitting up, n i was still so energetic after the birth that i cld joke ard with the midwife n my husband (he still has the video; it was as if nothing happened - my voice was fresh n cheery).. It really makes a difference, how we birth our babies..

skt

chweewy: I think it all depends on individual's preference on which items are suitable to get it new. Infant clothings, babycot, stroller are a few common items which mothers don't mind getting them as second-hand. One reason is because the baby will outgrow very fast and these items may not be in use before they are 'seasonly used'.

But for me, I in tend to pass down these items, so I actually got them as brand new. Another thing is the hygiene issue, I doubt I have the energy to sterilize the babycot and stroller, though the cushion and mattress can be bought as brand new.

For me, I have just started buying infant clothes in neutral colours, while waiting for 2nd hand pieces. No harm for second clothes as long as we wash them thoroughly to get rid of any unpleasant smell.

My mum is getting a babycot (since baby will be looked after by her most of the times, and we intend to pass down to my no.2 or my future sis-in-law) at her place while I am getting a playpen (foldable) at my place. As for stroller, I got a new one. This will need a little research and time to compare prices and weight. I manage to dig one from Goodbaby ($219) but weighs as light as those from Combi. The best part is, just one press and push, the stroller can be closed with one hand. Easy for me when carrying the baby alone.

Last edited:

skt

mrsvistamio: if your gynae has not mentioned anything, don't worry too much. Every pregnancy is different. Don't stress too much.

Something I learnt from my antenatal class, on average, a pregnant mother should gain 10-14kg throughout the pregnancy. Just the waterbag alone weighs a few kg, the placenta is like 500grams, umbilical cord weighs another few hundred grams, baby will be about 2.8 to 3.7kg etc.

Till now, I have gained about 5 KG and the baby is about 439 grams, which is still within the acceptable range. Furthermore, I am quite a petite one, only 1.6m and 46kg before pregnant. So I do not expect tremendous increase in my weight. If there is, it may implies I have overate. =/ Anyway, my appetite is still pretty normal, nothing huge and no cravings at all.

Just ensure your appetite has not decreased too much ya.

A mummy, actually what your gynae is doing is so his work is made easier.. Gravity is the best help wen we're giving birth, coz baby is pushing down n we're also helping by pushing baby out.. Baby wont be able to just fall out of the birth canal; unless itz premature or weighs less than 2kg at full term (which is rare in S'pore).. Lying down is NOT a good position to birth baby, coz it is like pushing baby uphill.. I pushed my 1st out lyinh down; n at the end of the birth i was too worn out.. 2nd birth, i pushed my baby out (all by myself!) whilst sitting up, n i was still so energetic after the birth that i cld joke around with the midwife n my husband (he still has the video; it was as if nothing happened - my voice was fresh n cheery).. It really makes a difference, how we birth our babies..
I agree. Choosing the right doctor determine half the success of you achieving the birth that you want.

Last edited:
yup...depends on gynae also.mine very the ...must go his way because its best for me n baby. No water bath because risk of infection is high and no squatting during labor like what many westerners doing because afraid baby may fall out of V and anything can happen because of gravity...if really need to go our way, we have to sign lots of indemnity form as he said lots of accidents happened before in Glens especially with 'angmohs'. It's like the hospital's policy.But he always suggest better not be so fussy while labor... Create problems for many people around us. Haha. So i guess that's what you mean by SOPs?

Hey everyone how's your baby doing!? Noone seems to talk about the babies here anymore....lol
It makes their job easier. Studies showed 55% of the doctor lied to their clients just to get them compromise. Will you still trust them? Haha, it's a challenge. Dont't let the gynae tells you what to do. There are only 3 doctors in Singapore who are truly pro-natural birth. Obstetricians are trained in emergency and surgical birth. Women know how to give birth as long as you connect with your body and with your baby.
A free talk on 25 June on the holistic approach to pregnancy care and childbirth. You can consider attending for educational purposes and ask questions about what birth is. Upcoming Events | ChildBirth Odyssey